bt dh mosquito

Advert

It's what I call 'meek-scale' ie if you squint a bit when you look at it, it looks about right! It'll not win any competitions but if when I look at it I think it looks close to the real one I'm happy!!
Definitely looking forward to the nijhuis one, how many will be flying humming tthe 633 sqn theme in the next 12 months!!

Yes I'm rather pleased with it - mind you I now need to figure out how to operate it. I'm thinking of using air operation - originally I was thinking of cannibalising some electric retracts but I think air might be the easiest and best route to go... Something to think over!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

Really nice work there Mate. A Mossie is on my list too, looked hard at the Traplet stand at LM yesterday but might wait for the new TN one..........

I have a 120" ASM Lanc and did a similar job on the U/C on that, I too struggled with power, I spent ages trying to get it to work nicely with air but due, I think, to the changing loads through the cycle ( my gear doors are linked to the oleos as in full size ) I simply couldn't get a nice smooth operation using air, in fact the best I achieved was frankly horrible !

I got some motors from Down & Locked in the States which are fine but then I made another set for a Mate to the same level and then discovered LADO ;

**LINK**

That link is to the ones I used, they are absolutely superb and I would go straight back to them next time, which hopefully will be for my Mossie before too long !

Hope that helps, will follow your build with interest.

Cheers, SHAUN.

Thanks for the link Shaun. I've got it set up with air at the moment, but it does seem to be struggling to move it. On the plan Brian Taylor uses retract Servos to operate them - but notes that they drop out when any G is pulled and suggests using air... If I can't get it to work properly I've got the actuators from some e flite retracts I might try. Lots to figure out at the moment!!!

Well progress has stopped for a short time I'm afraid - my regular hack had a slight Mishap the other day when I managed to roll it into the ground.... A new front fuselage has now been built and the we repairs are just about finished. Just goes to show what a lethal combination overconfidence and a lapse in concentration can be, still it's character building!!

Now that I've proven to myself that I can make the retracts work for this I've decided to actually get started on the build!

Starting with the tail surfaces - they're built in two halves,top and bottom over the plan, sheeted and then joined. The elevators are solid balsa sanded to shape - got to admit that it's nice working with balsa again after trying to shape metal.... Anyway, just a couple of photos to show progress so far - don't you just love the De havilland tail shape?

dsc_0281.jpg dsc_0282.jpg

• 7 months later...
Well it's been a while since the last post. Family and work commitments I'm afraid! Anyway some progress has been made. 2 new sets of downlocks have been made as I wasn't 100% happy with the first lot. I've also been on with making the fuselage up, it's been my first go at planking - slow going but satisfying to see the shape coming together!

Hi Chris.

I am also building one of these. I have so far built the wing and sheeted the top side. I am going to use electric retracts as I am not too bothered about scale appearance, also rather that use all the linkages that BT uses I have opted for mini servos.

I have been looking for some good build threads but not found many, there is one on RC canada but if you have found a good one I find they are really helpful especially with something with no instructions .

Glenn

Hi Glenn, there are loads of threads on RCSB, but most are of the larger Bt model or of this one doubled in size. Still good to get ideas but there are subtle differences in the plans.
Looking at it, the main problem areas are in the undercarriage (if I can't get mine to work properly I'll revert back to some electric ones I think) and in getting the flaps operating properly - not got that far yet but we'll see! I'm not wanting a scale masterpiece, just wanted to know if I could knock something together that looked okay and develop a new set of skills. Fingers crossed!!

• 3 weeks later...

Been making steady progress on the first fuselage half. Sanded and filled then sanded again to a finish I'll be happy glassing over. I then built the other half over the first so I got all the vertical bulkheads the same. I'll Un pin the two halves next and plank the second half over the plan so it stays nice and straight. Lots of bits and pieces to add to the inside of the first half before I glass the inside of it where the cockpit will be - when you cut away the wood from the cockpit there's a weak spot where the wing cut out is so glassing the inside here keeps the strength up!