Turnigy G60 Motor issues

Tomtom39

Has any one had any experience with the 300KV version? I've tried using it with the recommended setup ie 6 cell (Nanotech) lipo, 13X8 APCE and new Turnigy 100A Esc. On max throttle I get just over 300Watts (according to HK site it advertises a power out put of 1425W's ie a direct replacement for a .60 2 stroke). I just about managed to get the model up in the air and rather quickly landed it. The model is just over 4kgs inc the battery. Other Lipo's were also tried and similar power output figures measured.

Advert

I'd say you need a larger prop.

From the HK site;

Test Data:
18.5v - 14x10 prop - 17A - 1600g Thrust
18.5v - 15x8 prop - 17A - 1950g Thrust
22.2v - 13x8 prop - 16A - 1650g Thrust

For a motor rated at up to 60A the props in their test data are a rather curious choice, and their figure for the 13x8 is not that much different to yours. 16A at 22.2v is a touch over 360W.

Running a suitable (bigger) prop and using 7 cells, 60A would give around the power they claim.

Tomtom,

On a 300kv motor on 6S you need to be looking at a 16-18" prop, obviously smaller if using a 3 or 4 blader. Ecalc is a good reference to use. Not all motors shown on the free one. You if you just keep reloading the webpage, you will find your motor. Quick calc of your motor shown below, suggested an 18 x 8 prop to get you near 1000 watts.

image.jpg

Edited By Reno Racer on 08/04/2015 21:08:10

If you want to get anywhere near the power you are looking for you'll need a Xoar 20 x 10 electric prop. This will pull about 54 Amps and give around 6 kg thrust. Try subscribing to Ecalc and you can carry out your own calculations if you want to model different props. I have a G60 400kV motor in my Monolog 70 with a 16x10 prop attached. Pulls about 50A flat out and gives about 5kg thrust, enough for unlimited vertical on three quarter throttle.

Thank you all for your help. I have got myself a number of props ranging from 17x10 to 20x10 and will experiment with various batteries as well.This was a non thinking last min purchase for an ARTF that I was given as a present.. I should have given the matter a little bit more thought rather than just glance at the figures shown on the HK website. My mistake.

Currently using a Turnigy SK (something) 375kv motor on an 8s setup with a 18 x 10 prop which gives just under 1800w. A 400kv motor on a 6s in a 3.5kg aerobatic plane with a 16 x 10 prop goes vertical at 30amps (half throttle). At 300 kv you might need a bit more pitch (16 x 12?), but that would depend on the plane.

Thanks Frank. I also picked an 18X12 APC E prop and a copy of ecalc (Thank you Reno Racer for that) . I have a number of 5 and 6 cells so will see what's going to work best. looks like I will also need some bigger wheels for some clearance!

ONCE AGAIN A VERY BIG THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOU FOR PUTTING ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

It is a superb motor and as others have said the prop data on HK web page is misleading. You need a much bigger prop.

My bit of added wisdom: Make sure you threadlock the screws that connect the mount to the can! If you don't you will find out why its necessary!