Connie are you to much for me?

Well I have done all the windows and doors on one side using lining tape. A bit of a laborious job to be honest but worth it in the end. Just got the other side to do now!

wp_20180308_20_38_18_pro.jpg

Now I only have to do the QANTAS lettering and the flying kangaroo logo and registration No on the fins and make and fit the windscreen from the foam plug visible in the photo and the fuselage will be done at last!

• 3 months later...

Connie has flown at last!

I have been looking at her in the corner of my workshop for a while and been trying to get up enthusiasm for a last push to get her finished. well on Wednesday I decided to test fly her again as she is in the hope this would get me going again.

It was a lovely day so egged on by some of my club-mates I tried a fast taxi, this went fine so I turned her around and taxied back to myself, turned her into wind, took a deep breath and opened the throttle fully, off she went at a good rate, I eased in some up elevator and she lifted off nicely and climbed away at a good rate.

After my experience on the last flight where she would not turn very well on aileron I had increased the throws and mixed in quite a lot of aileron differential. Well this time she turned nicely and I flew an easy circuit. She looked really smashing in the air!

Not wanting to push my luck I flew one more circuit and lined her up for landing. She surprised me and came in quite fast so I bounced her a bit but otherwise fine.

Once back in the pits I discovered I had bent the u/c legs a bit but that is all.

Now there are no more excuses and I am determined to get her finished soon, Just really a bit of filling and painting to do.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 16/06/2018 02:21:22

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 16/06/2018 02:22:20

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 16/06/2018 02:22:32

Cliff, an amazing result for a difficult subject. All credit to you, you know what you are doing. Watch out for Simon’s Albatross now. You do wonder if that plane had some influence on the design of the Constellation. With Howard Hughes’ significant contribution to its design it’s not impossible that he had the Albatross in his mind. Despite his idiosyncrasies he was a real aviator with an eye for good design.

• 2 months later...