Connie are you to much for me?

Advert

You are right Colin and they will be much more practical. I have also changed the actual nose leg to one with a spring in it which should help.

I know that there has been a bit of a delay on this one but now that all my other projects are finished, I am hoping to make more progress now. She looked good on the move I must say and has reinvigorated me somewhat!

I cant promise I wont get sidetracked again though!

I was very tempted on one of the fast taxi runs to open the throttle fully and squeeze on some up elevator!

I had to remind myself that she is not really in a condition to fly yet! No flaps, wing tips, windscreen, cowls  and hatches to cover the esc,s yet fitted, but it was sooooo tempting lol.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 16/04/2017 20:48:16

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Well I have had a couple of days holiday from work, no work to do about the house and blowing a gale outside, so I decided its about time I did some work on Connie.

The wingtips and tip tanks have been added and I have started the brown paper covering on the wings,

wp_20170608_20_02_42_pro.jpg

wp_20170608_20_02_53_pro.jpg

wp_20170608_20_03_08_pro.jpg

First look back at this thread for quite a while, It's looking really good! Looking back to your post of 16/4, If t'were mine, I'd put gaffer tape over the hatches, cockpit and flap aperture and go test fly now. It means any mods necessary can be done before you do the finish and gives you a real boost in confidence to get it done and finished. Whatever you decide, some lovely building there, - congratulations,

stu k

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Well I went flying today and arrived to find the field empty! I put Connie together with the idea of some taxi tests. I was shortly joined by another member, none other than Lord of Scale John Carpenter.

He watched me taxi about including one high speed run. She tracked straight and got up a good speed. It looked as if she wanted to fly!

John looked here over and announced "she should fly but its up to you" well that was a red rag, so I gave myself plenty of run up and opened the taps. I could see she got up a good speed and was getting light on her wheels so I eased in some up elevator and up she came!

She climbed gently and straight so it all started well.

Then I fed in left aileron and nothing! At full deflection she slowly started to turn. John said use some rudder so I fed some in and round she came really sharply! she seemed to be well trimmed and cg pretty good but practically no aileron response but very twitchy on rudder.

I managed 3/4 of a reasonable circuit but allowed her to get a bit far away, panicked and fed in too much rudder, she dropped a wing sharply and came down fast! I managed to get some control back just before she disappeared from view behind some crops and shut the throttle and got her level!

Once we found her in the thick crops the damage was not as bad as feared.

wp_20170621_20_28_20_pro.jpg

wp_20170621_20_28_36_pro.jpg

wp_20170621_20_28_56_pro.jpg

Mostly damage to the nose and a wing tank ripped off!

So conclusions? Plenty of power, well trimmed, little aileron response and very responsive to rudders.

Strangely I am encouraged despite the crash.

I should perhaps have expected the lack of aileron response with the small ailerons and the amount of dihedral and also the rudder effect with again the dihedral and three rudders, two in the prop wash.

I think next time maybe a little rudder mixed in with the ailerons and maybe some aileron differential may help.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 21/06/2017 21:15:00

Hi Cliff,

A good recovery from what you say especially when out of view as well. Could have been a lot worse, nice to get the maiden over with.

Should not take too long to repair her looking at the photos and give her a nice colour scheme.

You have done an excellent job of her especially with so much info missing from the plans at the start, this partially put me off building one myself from the same plans.

All the best with the repairs

Regards

Robert

Thanks all for the kind words. Strangely despite the crash I am quite encouraged. She flew well and crash was more down to me than the model.

Repairs are well on the way, the pieces smashed off the nose were not to bad when I got home and inspected them more closely. just two major bits and easily glued back together.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Cliff, you are to be congratulated on this one, a truely fine model.

In " imperial " non digital, old man language, Connie has a big body, three huge rudders, two tiny ailerons

On a narrow chord wing

And four powerful motors pulling her in a straight line?

And your frightening conclusion that she was slow to turn, and rudder was twitchy

Adding it all up, Connie has more holding her in a straight line, 4 motors, 3 rudders, and a big belly

Than the two tiny ailerons that she has to turn her.

My next move would be to halve the rudder movement, and mix in 50%rudder with aileron.

Can't wait for the next installment