Connie are you to much for me?

• 2 weeks later...

p5252258.jpgI have been busy at work again plus we have been away for a few days. Also I have been trying to get my SAAB j21 flying again. However i have made a little progress.

I have cut out the wing ribs and made a start on one side. It has gone ok, a couple of the ribs seem a bit on the short side but I will shim them as needed. there seems to be a lot of wiring to install!

p5252257.jpg

I have started to realize that the plan is a little basic in places. For instance there is no information about the structure to support the wing top skin over the flap area, so I am making this up as I go.Also nothing about the flap structure at all!

p5252259.jpg

I wish I knew what power set up I need as I could take advantage of the low prices at Giant shark at the minute!

On the point about power requirements, the plan calls for Astro 035s. I can not really find any info about them and how much power they would deliver so not sure what wattage I would need. The biggest prop I can fit is realistically a 7". Any suggestions gratefully received. I thought somewhere about 200 watts per motor but not really sure.

Hi Cliff,

Your progressing well, I too have been away and have just returned from a weeks camping in Cornwall.

Yep there is a lot of wiring in a multi motor model.

I see what you mean about the there being no info around the flap area.

As for the Astro 035's, I built a an Easy Built Catalina ( could get them on trades descriptions as the fuselage was anything but). This also suggested a pair of Astro 035's but I used a pair of brushed geared speed 400's and a 7 cell 1400 SCR flight pack, flight was a none starter and I passed her on, this was one of biggest regrets I've made, I wished I'd kept her cannot find another for lover nor money.

Have you tried calculating the amount of Watts required via the Gibbs guides? These a very good, although may be a bit of a guesstimate as you don't know the all up weight yet do you.

Regards

Robert

Personally I would leave motor choice until you have a much better idea of the AUW, as there are a myriad of 35mm sized motors if you plan the mounts for those then you will be fine I think

7" prop max is small, three or 4 bladers might be better to get more prop area or you might have to go to very high Kv rates to get the wattage and it wouldn't sound right sounding like a swarm of angry wasps!

Buts its looking like its going to turn out a bit of an eye catcher

I have not been able to make much progress this week. I underestimated my wood order somewhere and have run out of 1/8 sheet so I cannot continue with wing or the fuselage half. This means I cannot remove them from the plan yet and therefore I cant build the other wing or fuselage half as I need to turn the plan over.

So I have to wait until my next wood order arrives.

So I have started on the wing tip fuel tanks to keep me going. The first one is carved and shaped from pink foam

p6022263.jpg

p6022264.jpg

I do find this a nice material to work with. It cuts and sands really nicely.

This really piques my interest to the highest degree. I got married to my lovely wife in a Lockheed L-749 Constellation that was the first ever delivered to Air France, and now resides at my former local airport of Greenwood Lake in New Jersey in the US. We used the isle as the actual wedding isle, and the cockpit as the altar. It was something for an aviation buff such as myself. My wife has since been on me about building a Constellation, but finding plans for anything other than the "Super" Connie is next to impossible.

But, for me a Connie is a Connie, and I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Also, a link for anyone interested in the Connie. This is the exact one I was married in.

**LINK**

Matthew the plan i am building from also shows the alternative fuselage length, window positions and fin/rudder profiles for a Connie. It is available as a free download from outerzone.

I just think the stretched Super Connie with the tip tanks and more pointed nose looks better.

Oh, that's outstanding. Thanks so much for cluing me in. It seems now I should download it, and explain to the wife that I have no excuse now not to re-create "our" airplane. Also, much luck to your build. It's really turning out great so far. What color scheme are you thinking of doing it in?

I think you should go for authentic TWA and stick a miniature Howard Hughes in the cockpit! (That's me being selfish Cliff). This is another product of his brain, the XF11. It is a cousin of the Connie, because he had a lot of influence on the P38 as well and you can see the thinking in the XF11 here. So although this one was built under the Hughes name, there is a strong Lockheed thread running through all three. I think these are classic designs.Hughes XF11

Ohhh, I really like the Quantus idea a lot. Many of the Connie's I've seen modeled are TWA (for good reason) or Air France, so that'd definitely be something different. And I agree that the MATS scheme is also a good one. But hey, you'll be at that point soon enough. One step at a time until then.

Oh, and I amend my previous comment (for accuracy sake)..I misstated mine as an l-749; It's really an L-049 variant, not that there's a huge amount of difference externally.

But one thing I can't possibly agree with (and my apologies) is that the Super Constellation looked better than the original!

I used to joke around with my brother (who prefers the Supers as well) that the tip tanks were only added as flotation aids to appease passengers afraid of cross oceanic voyages.

And he'd make fun of me about the astrodome navigation bubble in the top of earlier models and the navigators use of sextants by asking, "so, where are the sails rigged on this thing?"

Finally gotten around to shaping all the fins and sub fins and fixing them in place. They have short dowels fitted right through the tailplane to strengthen the joints. The rudders are hinged and upper and lower joined together. A bit of filler and sanding and all is good.

p6092267.jpg

p6092268.jpg

You can see the two completed foam tip tanks in the windowsill behind ready to fit to the wingtips.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 09/06/2015 20:02:08

Hi bbc

Thanks for the comments.

The rudders will be set up as follows, The Centre one will be driven by a snake from a servo in the fuselage driving a torque rod you can see in one of the pictures, this will have a crank under the tailplane.

The outers will have low profile servos in the tailplane driving the bottom rudders and these will also drive the upper ones by torque rods already fitted into the fins.

hope this helps.

Cliff.

I have been giving some thought to making the other side of the fuselage. I was not looking forward to it to be honest. I worried about turning the plan over and ending up with the two sides slightly different.

Then inspiration dawned! why not use my SLEC jig? So I lined up as many of the angles as I could and with lots of clamps and pegs held the fuselage side to them. I added the second half of the top and bottom longerons, and clamped this too. Next I trial fitted some of the half formers. Nothing is glued yet but I think this will work! I will probably do as much of the sheeting and planking while its still in the jig.

p6112269.jpg

p6112270.jpg

p6112271.jpg

p6112272.jpg

The piece of hardwood clamped across the front stringer is temporary to hold both halves square while the glue dries.

Thoughts anyone?

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 11/06/2015 20:49:56