Connie are you to much for me?

Advert

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Robert,

I apply it with watered down pva glue. Once dried I apply another coat of watered down pva as a sealant coat.You do get a reasonable surface finish to paint on but it can only be used on sheeted structures. You have to be careful about warping the structure as it shrinks a bit as it dries.

Thanks Cliff,

I do get a bit of grief from SWMBO when using tissue and dope even though I apply it outside and leave it in the sun house for a day or so, the smell of the dope does linger for a couple of days after I bring the model back in doors.

I'll try it soon anything for less grief.

I assume it takes compound curves OK,

Regards

Robert

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update to say that slow progress is still being made with Connie.

I am busy with house refurbishment at the moment and another project I have on the go.

However Connie has moved under her own power for the first time! both inboard motors and esc have been fitted and tested and I could not resist a quick taxi about my drive! All went well apart from having to hold in a little right rudder to keep her straight, so a little adjustment needed on the nosewheel. she reached quite a reasonable speed on just the two motors so this looks good for the power set up I have chosen when all 4 motors are fitted. I have to save up a bit now before I can invest in 2 more motors and esc! Still plenty I can get on with.

• 3 months later...

Connie is finally back on my building board again now the kitchen is finished. Also I got distracted by a 60 size p40 I was given from a friends loft. The maiden did not go well but that's a whole other story!

Hopefully some new pics to post soon as I hope to make a concerted push to get her finished this winter.

I must stop getting sidetracked!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I took h​er to my club the other day to try some taxi tests as I am a bit concerned about the small nosewheels on grass. Went ok, she got a reasonable speed up and was controllable but I could see the nose leg was taking a bit of a battering. I have now fitted larger wheels but this has meant a bit of a rethink as they now hit the steering servo when retracting!

I have altered the set up and also I cut a hatch in the top of the fuselage for access. Hope to post more pics soon. Must admit she did look good on the move.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 04/04/2017 15:24:18

• 2 weeks later...

Here is Connie fitted with her larger nose wheels.

wp_20170416_19_25_42_pro.jpg

I dont think they look to bad although they are much bigger than scale.

This has meant a lot of alterations! Here is the reworked wheel bay.

wp_20170416_19_26_41_pro.jpg

As stated before the new wheels hit the steering servo so I had to cut out the entire section above the center stringers to gain access, make additional supports for the servo and lift it higher up. I have also included a hatch for future access if needed.

wp_20170416_19_27_34_pro.jpg

wp_20170416_19_27_49_pro.jpg

The removed sections were then filled in with pink foam and sanded back to shape.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 16/04/2017 20:04:08

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 16/04/2017 20:12:03