Connie are you to much for me?

Hi Cliff,

That approach is spot on, I did exactly the same with my airbus A400m which was two sides/half formers etc. Didn't take any pics whilst in the SLEC jig but when it came out it looked like this laugh

Mine went along the centre line of the board and I used the clamps either side of the central spine (but had to use some spare hardwood blocks to take up the gap either side)

A400m Fuse Skeleton

Edited By Craig Carr on 12/06/2015 18:10:32

I totally agree Colin, and what a lovely shape it is! Looking at the bare bones of the fuselage side on you can certainly see why the fuselage is sometimes described as dolphin shaped.

I am still a bit worried that the structure looks very skimpy. Basically there is only one stringer per side.I know that the sheeting will add strength but still. I am tempted to add some more stringers to support the sheeting to try and avoid the starved horse look.

Also its not easy to see in the pictures but there seems to be an very long gap between the former in front of the wing to the next one forwards. I suspect one has been missed of the plan and am thinking of adding another one half way along the gap.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 13/06/2015 08:28:44

Once again Colin very good advice. had not thought about the curvature adding strength, but its obvious when you think about it. As an engineer I should have twigged that! As you say I dont think the weight penalty will be much so I will add the extra former as I am pretty sure one has been missed of the plan. On the side view there are two lines shown where the red prop warning line is painted on the military version and I think this is also where a former should be.

I will probabally just put extra stringers where the joints occour in the sheeting.

I am sitting here in a quiet moment at work thinking about the build. I realised I have made a bit of a mistake! I got carried away with planking the wing last night and did not fit the power wires for the esc! I have fitted all the servo wires though, phew! Now I have a bit of fiddeling to do to try and feed the power wires throught the holes I have fourtunately already made in the ribs. Luckly I have left two small bits of sheeting off where the nacelles go so at least I dont have to get all the way in one go!

Oh well I new it was going too smoothly.

I did try that Colin but because the top of the bottom rudder is quite low down the lower fin it meant the linkage had to go at an a large angle and did not run smoothly. The way it is now at least it only moves in one plane and is nice and smooth so I think its better that way.

Progress has slowed a little of late as I have been busy with family and with the nice weather I have been flying as much as possible.

However a little has been done.

p7012297.jpg

p7012298.jpg

All the rudders are now fitted and working. The hinges have been pinned but not yet glued so I can remove them for covering. I plan to do my usual and test fly in the bare balsa.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 01/07/2015 12:06:57

Hi Cliff,

Fantastic, really taking shape teeth 2

If its of interest re split elevators I connect the ends to 2mm ball joints and connect to the top and bottom of the servo output arm with a 2mm bolt and 2mm nylock nut for extra piece of mind.

Once all set up make a plate to hold the snake outers against your former in their natural resting position. Hope the pic below explains what I mean (bottom servo in pic).

Craig

split elevator to one servo

Edited By Craig Carr on 01/07/2015 12:37:00

Just a quick update before I disappear to the sun for two weeks! not that its not been nice here.

A little progress has been made with the sheeting.

I received a set of air retracts I recently won on eBay. I thought I was bidding just on a pair of retracts and an air tank but when it arrived it was a complete set of tricycle complete with steerable nose leg,a bag of t and four way connectors, a charging valve and a servo operated control valve. So all in all a bit of a bargain.  I have been busy trying to workout where it will all go. I am a little concerned it might be a little lightweight for the model but still it was worth a punt as if I cant beef it up a bit I can still find a home for it elsewhere.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 07/07/2015 16:56:25

• 3 weeks later...

Finally back from sunnier climes, What has happened to the weather while I have been away? Back to the workaday world!sad

To cheer me up I have done a little on Connie. i have modified the u/c to twin nose wheel and beefed it up a bit.

This is the ply structure I have come up with to support it. It will go through a slot in the nose former with the gussets butted up to the former. This will give the nose leg a forward cant when in the down position.

p7282375.jpg

p7282376.jpg

p7282377.jpg

p7282378.jpg

p7282379.jpg

Hi Cliff,

That's a nice piece of work you have done with the u/c.

I was wondering where you had been. I finally got round to printing my set of drawings for the connie and after looking at them I must say how well you have done, you are quite right to say some info is missing from the plans.

keep up the good work

Regards

Robert

Hi Cliff,

That's a nice piece of work you have done with the u/c.

I was wondering where you had been. I finally got round to printing my set of drawings for the connie and after looking at them I must say how well you have done, you are quite right to say some info is missing from the plans.

keep up the good work

Regards

Robert