Connie are you to much for me?

May sound sacrilege to some here, but why not try Depron foam for a good weight saving.

I have a 72" span Spitfire, (based on TN's plan), built using Depron and some balsa, it is half the expected weight for the balsa version.

My Sunderland, Lancaster, and Dauntless are Depron as well. It's an easy to use material.

Cliff, you can use the Depron just like balsa and in many ways it's quicker and easier to work with, as well as being cheaper. Having a few chunks of blue foam around is handy as well for producing shapes like nacelles, it's definitely easier to sand into shape than balsa is as well, or seems to be to me. On a big build like this one is where you are likely to see the most benefit from a composite approach to the build, in terms of build time, weight and cost, I would have thought. Worthy of further consideration, perhaps.

Hi Cliff. It's more ambitious than anything I've tried to do, I look forward to seeing the result. This plane is one of the all time greats and owes its' existence to Howard Hughes and his determination to put one over on Juan Trippe, the founder of Pan American Airways by founding Trans World Airlines and being determined to have the best plane to do it with.

Hughes's quest for perfection was frequently his undoing but in this case his interpretation was brilliant, although designed and built by Lockhead, it was under his direction. In spite of his flaws and sad end, he was a great man and had a far wider influence than most of us realise.

Hi Colin, Yes I agree about Hughes. Its strange how often brilliant people seem flawed in some way.

I have been doing some research into the Connie and Super Connie plus the military variants. I had not realized quite so many had been built. As I am starting at the tail end I have concentrated on this and it seems there are two different fin sizes and definitely two or maybe three rudder shapes. Things are never straightforward! Also some seem to have square windows and some round!

I cant wait for the wood to arrive so I can make a start. I think this is going to take a long time but I am determined not to rush things.

Hi Cliff. The earliest reference I have to it is in my 1943 copy of Aircraft of the Fighting Powers. There is a very good 1/72 scale very detailed three view and some great photos, including one in military overall olive drab, which actually looks great. I like the early ones best. I think you will enjoy this one.

I think they all look good Cliff. It's whatever turns you on. As time went by it got stretched and tweaked as they always do. I just prefer to see it as Hughes conceived it, it was a ground-breaker and the only plane that resembled it previously was the DH Albatross I think. I would not be in the least bit surprised if Hughes was influenced by that design, he knew his stuff and always watched what was going on over here.

I went flying this morning and it was ok, but about lunchtime it started to rain. So home I went and found my delivery from SLEC waiting for me. So the great adventure has begun!p5072165.jpg

The Tailplane lower skin, leading and trailing edges and ribs cut and fitted. I remembered to lay in the leads for the servos that will eventually operate the outboard rudders.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 07/05/2015 19:41:25

p5072167.jpg

Tips fitted and a start made on top skinning.

I showed the plans to one of my club mates and said I was unsure how to cut out the fuselage formers. He kindly said he had an old modelers scroll saw he did not use and that I was welcome to it. It will help no end.

Tips fitted and a start made on the top sheeting.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 07/05/2015 19:47:27

A little more progress today, other top skin fitted and other elevator made.

For those who are wondering the servo leads will eventually exit through a hole in the bottom skin into the rear of the fuselage, but of course they cant do that while its pinned to the board so temporally they have to come out of the top. A piece of the top skin will be cut out later to allow the fin to go right through to the bottom skin anyway.

p5082170.jpg

Progress has slowed a little this work due to family and work commitments. Also I have been getting my F14 sorted (see my other post) but a little work has been done.

Originally I intended to drive the Central rudder with a snake through the top of the fuselage, but because the rudder is quite high up I thought this would not look very good so the rudder will now be driven by a torque rod with a crank on the underside.

p5142197.jpg

Also the slot for the fin has been cut and a trial fit carried out with the new pivot tube for the rudder embedded in the fin

p5142199.jpg

This morning I awoke early so I tried out my new saw. I got on well with it so Proceeded to cut out all the fuselage formers from liteply. I cut them out slightly oversize and then sanded them to the line. This seems to have worked well and I am pleased with the results. This is one of my major worries overcome.

p5142198.jpg

My next problem is that my building board is not big enough for the fuselage or wings! Oh well more expense.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 15/05/2015 10:56:22