Taranis Software updates

Geoff S

My understanding of the situation is as follows:

There are TWO items of firmware in the Taranis:

1. The firmware in the internal XJT module

2. The application firmware.

Either of these may be updated independantly of the other.

The FrSky supplied application firmware only offers D16 mode. The internal module, whether flashed with EU or non-EU firmware still supports D8 mode.

If you flash new application firmware, openTx or ersky9x, then you will have D8 offered again and be able to use the Taranis with 'D' type receivers.

The DJT module is still available and one could be installed in the module bay as an alternative method of obtaining 'D' mode transmission.

Mike.

Advert

Effectively all the XJT module does, albeit in a very sophisticated way, is take the data organised by the application firmware and transmit it to the receiver unchanged, where its RF firmware decodes it and passes the data to the servos etc which operate as specified by the application software in the transmitter.

It's rather like the method of TV transmission - analogue or digital on VHF of UHF radio waves - has no effect on the programmes transmitted or received, which are independent of the transmission method. Having no TV, all my video entertainment comes down my broadbad link but the programmes are the same.

I know D8 works with the latest openTX firmware (2.0.17) because I had to change to D16 from D8 with my XR6 receiver because the S.Port doesn't work on D8 though everything else did.

I hadn't realised that Frsky's firmware isn't the same as openTX until Mike said so. I assumed they worked closely together. Presumably not as closely as I thought.

Geoff

Thanks Pat, I had flashed one X8R but it didn't work so I must have done something else wrong.

Bob, Thanks for your very kind offer but:-

I slept on it last night (not literally) and woke up thinking about why it wouldn't work for me.........so this morning I went through ALL of the advice on this great forum, started again and, lo and behold, it works laugh

I still don't know what my mistake was but I've now updated my tx and receivers and the sun is shining!

One of my sons often says 'Easy is boring'

Thanks chaps.

Keiron

Posted by PatMc on 06/05/2015 17:53:54:

Keiron, are your X8R receivers also at the new EU firmware level ?
If not they will works on D8 mode but not D16.

I've just taken delivery of a new X8R from T9 and I assume it's to the new EU spec. I've just had a little play on the bench with my non-EU spec Taranis XJT and can confirm that on D8 it will bind quite happily but not on D16. So, if you don't want to use the S.Port, which will only work on D16 you don't need to do anything. The RSSI and receiver voltage telemetry also works OK on D8.

Geoff

I received both X6R and X8R receivers from T9 yesterday, they both have 2015 stickers on them, which I assume means they are EU spec.

I have bound my newly updated-to-EU-spec tx to the X6R in D16 mode and everything works perfectly

So, I'm now fully updated to EU spec. - easy for me as I've no pre-EU receivers to consider.

GDB

PS I've been following the Open-txu course and now have a much better understanding of setting up the transmitter - well worth the effort.

• 3 months later...