Anyone going to Throckmorton?

IanN

Hadn't heard of this show before, which is to my shame as I grew up in that locality

Not only the Vulcan, but a pretty decent line up of other stuff too

**LINK**

Obviously not a "premier league" full size air show, but plenty there to entertain for anyone within reasonable traveling distance

Advert

Nope, apparently not. Maybe its to speed up access and minimise queues? Don't know....

The pre booking is very easy though - just do it online and the email via which you then print your ticket came back to me within 3 or 4 hours, so no worrying about waiting for the postie to bring your ticket

One word of caution though is that the online payment can take a while to process. My Dad was doing his and thought it had "hung" so clicked again to purchase and then found out he'd bought twice. He found another taker so no problem, but as tickets are non refundable peeps might want to be aware of this

Edited By IanN on 01/06/2015 13:12:32

My first visit to the show, superb! Good to see Dave W and the JMA doing their bit. Highlights for me were the big delta bird of course, the first display of the last season and the Blenheim, both are the worlds only flying examples! Good job done by all pilots as there was one hell of a cross wind. Rich Goodwin in G-WIZZ is one mad but awesome flyer as is Brenden O'Brien.

However, what a shame the airfield is not home to a permanent club or any full size of any kind and what a pitifully short full size grass runway, 3 overshoots and 2 runoff into the long grass, no damage and taxi back to parking.

Will I go again? Yes definitely! Do they need to sort event signage, access and traffic control? Yes, it was awful, the worst I've ever experienced.

Maybe Throckmorton could be used as a show venue by BMFA or LMA?

Cheers

What a debacle trying to get to Throckmorton today, total cock up with traffic management, ended up parking in the village with the aim to walk to the show, but stopped at the end of runway - where all the planes were displaying.

Only the Pits flew the crowd line, If I'd queued the 2 + hours to get in I'd have been a bit miffed.

So great view, great photos, but no ice creams.

tm2.jpg

tm4.jpg

Andy

3hrs to get in,no traffic control and then another 2 hours to get out again, a complete joke, Great flying even if some of the war birds couldn't attend due to the weather. Worth the money for the Vulcan alone.

As the people on the gate weren't scanning the pre paid tickets anyone could have printed off as many as they wanted and saved a fortune!

First time visit but wont be going again.

I can't believe the lack of signage for a show that attracts 20'000 people and lack of direction from event staff. Luckily I'd left early and travelled the 50 miles by 9.30 so managed to get on the field, but I felt for those still queuing to get in several hours later.

Non the less some good flyingimg_8866.jpgimg_8903.jpgimg_8812.jpg

img_8718.jpg

Hit the back of a queue at 10:45 approx 3 or 4 miles from the venue. At 13:50 with a good half mile queue ahead of me, the entrance still not nowhere in sight, and a pretty poor view of most of the display in the distance, I gave up turned round and went back home

£15 for a ticket, £30 fuel and an entire day in the car for nothing

High attendance is no excuse. The organisers know exactly how many tickets they sold, and what the local roads and infrastructure are. The show supports a good cause but either they (a) just got greedy and oversold or (b) they failed to step up their plans, and then failed to react

More probably the latter. A relative who did get in from another direction (about halfway through the show after a similar queue to mine) was spitting feathers about the lethargy of the admission and parking process when he did finally make it. Seems the organisers did nothing - or at least nothing effective - to deal with the issue and get cars in faster

And anyone wanting to use the "contact us" facility to let the show organisers know what they think is currently finding that website down. Wonder why? Shambles

Edited By IanN on 06/06/2015 23:48:13

We were there at 9.30 and were amazed at the lack of signage and the dire traffic management. The marshalls may as well have not been there at all. We were directed into a exhibitors entrance, only to then be told we had to exit travel about half a mile and the re-enter via a different gate, staffed by equally grey cell lacking individuals who looked like rabbits in headlights. No signs at all.

Complete lack of traffic management and what seemed to me to be too many workers and no managers. Very poor planning!

Parking marshalls were very slow. We never have any problems at the model shows, everyone knows what the're doing re. parking and fanning out when approaching their space, its easy..clearly not for Throckmorton.

Rant over

Was contemplating doing same, plus an amount for my fuel. Not sure I'll get anywhere though

Was going to wait and see what the show organisers' statement says first - although that has been promised, it's not been forthcoming as of yet. They're probably taking legal advice before committing

• 2 weeks later...

Some on social media are now saying that they received the same half price refund from paypal, but have since had emails saying that partial refund is being withdrawn as it was disputed by the organisers. Hopefully you've had better luck, Andy.

It seems that the fallout from the Throckmorton airshow fiasco rumbles on a while yet .......