Thirty Days War by John Harris

Dai Fledermaus

I'm currently reading The Thirty Days War by John Harris which although a novel is based on true events during the Iraq rebellion in 1941, particularly the siege of RAF Habbaniya which was defended by obsolete aircraft and other training types.

Now most of the aircraft types involved I knew about, like the Airspeed Oxford and the Hawker Hart for example, but others had me searching the internet. ie

Vickers Valentia

Vickers Vincent

Hawker Audax

Fairy Gordon

It's an interesting read if you haven't already done so

Advert

I read it a year or two ago - strange that it isn't more known about as it was arguably a major factor in preserving Allied access to oil supplies from the Middle East and denying them to the Axis powers.

On top of which, it was an amazing triumph against the odds to hold the airfield against overwhelming odds and an example of real heroism operating aircraft under ridiculously hazardous conditions e.g. taking off in the pitch dark on an obstacle strewn airfield by holding a heading and trusting to a lot of luck!

I can thoroughly endorse Dai's recommendation...

Buy "Hidden Victory" The Battle of Habbaniya By Dudgeon. THis is the best war book that I have read. Wing Cdr Dudgeon was actually there and was flying inthe battle and in charge of much of it.

I am furious. I had a copy and can't find it. Must have lent it to someone and it hasn't come back. Just bought anotehr copy from an Amazone S/H dealer.