Windows 10 - Any Advice

Neil67

My old Dell Inspiron runs Windows 10 perfectly now. I had the usual problems with 10 being incompatible with my installed favourite software, but over a week or so I managed to replace these free from the web.

I use Firefox for my browser and am not a prolific movie maker or music buff, but everything works that I ask of it.

Thanks John F for the link.

Just checked and my Dell Inspiron N5110 ain't on the list. It appears it's a 2011 model, funny how time flies - I thought it was about three years old! So it look like back to Windows 7, which at the end of the day isn't an issue. Ho hum.

So much for Microsoft telling me my machine was compatible, although I do appreciate it's a massive task for Microsoft trying to cover so many PCs.

Some websites suggest a clean install with changes to the bios etc, but not something I would be comfortable with.

Many thanks for the feedback.

Johnf,

Thanks again for the link. Drivers proved to be up to date. Decided to wait for anniversary update. Logged on to Microsoft site a few days later and downloaded the update. Took a while but has transformed my installation. All the weird behaviour has disappeared and everything seems to work bar one house plan program ( sweet home 3D) which I can still use on an older laptop I use in the garage for modelling etc. It's so old it's on Vista, but to be fair still works well.

Neil

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

Just asking a question as I'm a little stumped here.

Earlier this week windows 10 updated it's self via automatic update as per usual. However, since the update my keyboard has swoped some of it's characters namely the @ is now accessed via shift +" and visa versa also the pound sign has totally disappeared and now shift 3 is #, which is nowhere to be found.

I have tried searching for keyboard settings but nothing seems to be right. Languages are set to UK / US by default and cannot be changed to UK / UK.

The latest update refers to April 2018.

Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated

Regards

Robert

Hi yes it did it to me too a real pain obviously they did not do it right.

i sorted it for now by going into control pannel then region and language then add language (had to down load english uk language pack why!!!) once done _ selected it

then to sort out the key board from us to uk qwerty when't into advanced keyboard settings and set it correctly to uk keyboard

A right pain should't have had tooangry

Very rarely use windows, but I do have a small partition with win 10 on my laptop. The last upgrade borked the graphics, leaving a black screen! I reverted to the pre-upgrade version, but it still insists on downloading (and filling up the drive with) the upgrade and trying to install it despite all my efforts to stop it.

Luckily, I don't really need it often, so for the moment, its just a waste of disk space and might get completely purged. I've done that with my desktops and never looked back.....

--

Pete

My biggest gripe with the latest update is that they've done away with 'Homegroups' which was really useful for keeping my laptop and tower copies of Companion in sync, having a single reference location for photos and music and the like. Now Microshaft's suggestion is to keep everything 'on the cloud', or email files between machines. I think that what they are really saying is that they've given up on private network security and are simply pretending it does exist. I could understand users migrating to the opposition.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 18/05/2018 09:10:35