Windows 10 - Any Advice

Neil67

Classic Shell seems a good idea........why didn't. Microsoft do that! They could even have charged extra for it, most of us would pay for that.

But why can't I buy Win 7?

(Andy's comment about BIOS seems probably right)

Edited By kc on 06/09/2015 09:28:15

Advert

• 4 weeks later...

Well after I downloaded win10, it didn't work, so I took my laptop to an IT guy, he fixed it, reason was my baurd rate was too slow, any way it has been working great since then, except that after I down load my pics, they wont load onto my thread. I managed to get one on, on top of the pic is all the relevant info it needs to display, ( see Whirlwind # 3 thread )

Any help guys??????

Barry

Been using Win 10 on the desktop PC for a couple of months. One problem with it not wanting to load and run Cortana that froze the PC, but got over that one easily enough with guidance from the net (on the laptop which runs Win 7). Put Win 10 on my sister's PC - totally painless transition and she is very happy with it - she IS a very basic user, but it suits her. Having said that, I read that driver updates are an important part of getting Win 10 running at its best.

Is that when it downloads the updates or do you just get the BSOD and a re-boot? That's happened to me a couple of times, although it is always accompanied by an error message which you can search for online for an explanation.

Try going to 'Settings; Windows Update; Advanced Options. In 'Choose how updates are installed', select 'Notify to schedule restart'. If you select 'automatic', it will re-boot if the update requires it there and then. The other option gives you the choice of when to re-start to complete the update process - a much better alternative.

Pete

I upgraded to win 10 on my 5 year old laptop, took all of 25 minutes to download been working great since then.

Then I tried to synch my nokia n8 phone, doesn't talk to win 10.

No probs the wife took my i phone and i use her samsung galaxy (?) instead and retired my n8 so now I'm happy again.

It's so much quicker than win 7 thanks ms.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been sitting with the Windows 10 upgrade ready to install on my Windows 7 desktop machine for a couple of months now, and kept umming and arring whether to take the plunge.
Well yesterday I decided to go for it. I was really quite pleasantly surprised how seamless the install went. I decided to go for the 'custom' install, as I'd found some advice as to what settings I should/should not use.
I was quite expecting the worst considering what others here have experienced, but, so far (fingers well and truly crossed), the only thing that didn't work was my HP printer, and a quick software reinstall cured that.
So far, the PC loads faster, appears to run smoother(faster), and as yet I've not had any software problems. I've also not suffered any of the display problems others have had.
I've installed 'Classic Shell', and I now have a Windows 10 machine which looks like Windows 7.
I also have a fairly new Windows 8.1 laptop, but the update for that can wait until I'm 100% sure I'm happy with 10 on my Desktop...........time will tell.

Steve

hello erfolg...nothing is free....i would change from 7 to 10..its supposedly the last windows ever..they intend to keep it going with updates etc....if you dont like it -you have the option in the upgrade to revert back to your previous version...... i've been using it since july and its OK..it'll tell you before if any of your hardware etc isnt going to work....

ken anderson...ne...1 win 10 dept.

Erfolg, I would say so. It's still free, and if you hang on to the files from the original operating system (they are automatically saved), then you can revert at any time if you aren't satisfied.

I would say though that you do need to heed the advice in links like I've posted above during installation, and you shouldn't encounter too many problems.

I know some have had more problems than most when upgrading, and there are always going to be those who say they wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, but I think they are just missing out. A great many obstacles/problems have been sorted now, and there's a plethora of help on t'internet if you get stuck

Give it a go...........you might like it!

Edit: Ken beat me to it........you've got to be quick on the draw round here smiley

Edited By Essjay on 18/10/2015 18:37:46

The problem is that the article is aimed at people who probably wouldn't know that disabling UAC is a bad idea. Unless they read through the comments - and I think a lot of people wouldn't - they'd just blindly follow the instructions, including disabling UAC.

The hiding of file extensions for known file types and not displaying hidden files is something that I always change, and is not new to Windows 10. I'm not sure I'd advise "ordinary" users to display hidden files though.

I upgraded to W10 yesterday. My starting point was W7 on one disc partition and XP on another. I had no idea whether or not the upgrade process would cope with this configuration. Fortunately it did, although the first time XP started it failed whilst displaying the XP flash screen. Subsequent attempts were ok. The upgrade process even took care of the OS name in the dual boot screen.

I was worried when W10 first started after the upgrade as it was using a lower resolution display adaptor and not the NVIDIA one which was used on W7. However after a subsequent restart W10 switched to the NVIDIA and display is now as before.