Pee-Tee Sportster ( Crossbreed)

kc

I came across a design on Outerzone for a model called Crossbreed by Peter Miller. I had not heard of this design so downloaded the plan. When I looked at this semi scale 55 inch design I thought it looked just like the Pee-Tee Sportster from RCME July 1984. The Pee-Tee was one of those designs I often thought of building - really attractive sort of semi scale Ryan PT Very nice shape with an economical but practical construction method to get a rounded fuselage. Handy size too.

Closer examination of the tiny plan in the original magazine showed it was actually called Crossbreed on the plan but Pee-Tee Sportster in the magazine itself. So presumably either Peter Miller or Bill Burkinshaw the editor of RCME changed the name just before publishing.

So has anbody built one?

HI, over the years I have built two, one with a Saito 50 four stroke and one electric, both flew very well.

The glow one ended up in New Zealand (don't ask !!) and it flew at the Hamilton Model flying Club.

I remember the CG marked on the plan is a bit too far back, I set mine as 25% cord from the LE and it flew very well.

Kevan, was it called PeeTee or Crossbreed on your copy of the plan?

The CG does look well back on the plan in the magazine. The arrow ( presumably CG ) seems to be at 43 percent by my measurement

Edited By kc on 11/06/2015 16:10:59

• 5 months later...

I had a PT Sportster first built in 85 and finally scrapped a couple of years ago It was time for a refurb but it was so fuel soaked and loads of the glue in places had rotted. Seems only the solartex was keeping bit together. Lovely plane flew beautifully. Had an early OS 40 four stroke. Lovely engine pathetically low powered but perfect for that model putted along sweetly and did not need a silencer. Far quieter than a modern four stroke with a silencer still had the original glow plug in when I sold it after nearly 30 yrs

Actually the article says it's a Saito 45. The wing construction looks pretty much the same as the Ballerina and has u/c out on the wings too. Just a two seat fuselage instead of a raised turtle deck. Stringered construction is a bit more extensive but the same neat rounded infills at ends.

What about a new version of the PT some time soon Peter?   --- a 2 seat Ballerina?

Edited By kc on 05/12/2015 19:22:50