TOUR DE FRANCE

Ernie

Hi guys,, It's nearly tour de france time, and what a waste of time it is. Three hours a day glued to the box for three weeks. Around 60 hours+ all the interviews etc.

So, I'm looking for a wee tour project to build while I'm watching Chris Froome laying into the foreigners. It must be small, so that I can have a board on my knees. Not too messy 'cos I'm in the living room. but definately no plastic. A real build

Your thoughts would be appreciated

ernie

Advert

Wow Bill, What a cornucopia. A trip right down memory lane, how many of these did I build a long long time ago. It really needs some thought. Quite a few that I fancy

And John, come on just have a look at that little lot, you'll be sanding with the peloton

ernie

Good morning from a wet and windy France.

The price of these wee Keil Kraft kits must be an error , I'm sure they should be 3 shillings and 6 pence. Also, I will need to find an old gilette razor blade to snap in half for the authentic experience. And balsa cement to pick off my fingers

I do like the Peter Rake monoplane, but am struggling to find a UK supplier for a vapor brick and an AEO 7mm motor. Any ideas?

Hey ho......Will Chris Froome get another handful of seconds today? I fear not

ernie

Plenty of blades on eBay, LINK, albeit these are Wilkinson sword.

Balsa cement HERE.

No more excuses now Ernie. wink

Chris Froome was in epic form yesterday and as an amateur cyclist myself I'm always left in awe at the stamina these pros have when hill climbing. Hopefully he'll be able to carry out a repeat performance today.

P.S. My first ever Keil Kraft build (without assistance from dad), was the Soarer Baby.

This is me at the tender age of 13 in '69 proudly holding said glider. Apologies for the poor quality.

Can't wait myself ... Roll on TdF 2015.

I was lucky enough to get tickets to witness Wiggo set the hour record last Sunday. Not only that I shook Miguel Indurains hand and drool over his TT bike that he won the Hour record on reputed to be valued at a cool €1m ! also i was able speak to the GB team principals and talk about cycling routes around Sheffield Derbyshire Manchester areas. Absolutely brilliant. You can't do that with our football stars can you. I could also pay my £30 and ride the same track as Wiggo. You can't do that and play at Wembley....... Football. Overrated overpriced

Owdlad

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 15/06/2015 22:43:03

Posted by Owdlad on 14/06/2015 14:06:11:

Can't wait myself ... Roll on TdF 2015.

I was lucky enough to get tickets to witness Wiggo set the hour record last Sunday. Not only that I shook Miguel Indurains hand and drool over his TT bike that he won the Hour record on reputed to be valued at a cool €1m ! also i was able speak to the GB team principals and talk about cycling routes around Sheffield Derbyshire Manchester areas. Absolutely brilliant. You can't do that with our football stars can you. I could also pay my £30 and ride the same track as Wiggo. You can't do that and play at Wembley....... Football. Overrated overpriced

Owdlad

My kids played football with Gazza in his prime free of charge, they and loads of others had a great day. I envy you meeting big Mig though, he get his bike from Hobby Kingyes

John

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 15/06/2015 22:43:54

Hi, well what about that? Not the most elegant of climbers, Roll on the tour.

Great pix, Owdlad, your right about access. I once pushed Barry Hoban (GAN mercier sprinter) up the Tourmalet in the tour. I shouted 'allez Barry` he shouted 'give me a shove'

but enough, I'm off to order a wee kit

ernie

Hi Guys, Well a very very light box has arrived from micron. Inside there is a 14 inch span SE5a..You will not believe the size od the LIPO, the RX brick and the motor. Well you will, because the sun is splitting the sky, and I'll send a pic tomorrow

Is nobody going to join me in my Tour build

ernie

WOW, have a look at this.

From left to right, Die cut ply and balsa. A Lipo (how do I charge thet wee thing?) Motor and gearbox, Reciever with 2 servos & speed controller and wheels.

So, am I alone in this?

ernie

Edited By Ernie on 21/06/2015 11:01:28

Have just noticed one of my posts has been moderated........?

Humble apologies Mr Moderator, no offence or intent to offend was ever meant I was mearly pointing out how some of our professional football stars distance themselves from the fans whereas our cyclists are happy to converse and even ride with the everyday cyclist.

Once again sincere apologies

Owdlad

Each to their own, my brother and I played football on the beach with Eusabio in 1969, he very little English but was a total gem, buying drinks and hot dogs for us as we didn't speak any Portugese. Later in the 80's I played in a charity match with Rodney Marsh, great day, especially in the bar afterwards, top man. Great link to.the Vintage site, I didn't know about it and it could cost me dearly, so many I remember and instantly went into 'want one' mode!