TOUR DE FRANCE

Ernie

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 25/07/2015 13:15:16:

I got up very early and walked the 10k up to Turn 3 from Bourg d'Oisans for the Centenary Tour and it's certainly brutal...smile o

I stayed in a hotel at Bourg d'Oisans some years ago for a ski weekend. Just driving my hire-car up to L'Alpe d'Huez was enough to make me feel exhausted, and totally in awe of the cyclists who do that climb.

Advert

You may be right but the whole dynamic of the race would have been different had Froome not enjoyed that 3 minute buffer over Quintana. Lots of what ifs - if Richie Porte hadn't been ill; if Teejay hadn't been ill; if G hadn't been unceremoniously knocked off and hit a telegraph pole with his head - but, in the end Froome won with a respecatble margin even it did keep the Sleath household on the edge of its various seats this afternoon.

In view of the hostilty on Dutch corner experienced by the Sky bus I was worried that some drunken idiot would pull Froome off his bike. I wonder how the organisers would have treated such an incident if it had affected the destination of the Maillot Jaune. A bit rich really when you think how many cyclists from the Low Countries died mysteriously in their sleep eventually put down to the effects of EPO thickening their blood.

Geoff

Posted by Bill_B on 26/07/2015 08:02:30:

I'd like to see a break away attack today, but historically that never lasts on the last stage.

It would be considered VERY bad form to mount any sort of attack before the Champs Elysees - the last day is a celebrationary procession until then

Spitting, punching & throwing urine !! It seems to have transformed into disarray this year. Shame as I've followed it with interest since seeing it in Hampshire in the mid nineties. Savages I tell you !!

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 26/07/2015 09:29:39:

I'd like to see a break away attack today, but historically that never lasts on the last stage.

It would be considered VERY bad form to mount any sort of attack before the Champs Elysees - the last day is a celebrationary procession until then

Personally I'm not much interested in what's considered good or bad form, I want to see a race to the bitter end and I'm sure, truth be known, so would the organisers and sponsors.

Effectively the race is over for all the jerseys though it's possible the green jersey could still be open sometimes. This year there aren't enough points available to beat Sagan. Today's race is a parade until the Champ's Eysee is reached then it's sprinter's stage with big kudos for the winner. As for abandonning 'good form' and attacking the Froome it just isn't worth it. Anyone who did would suffer in every race afterwards from other riders. Bike races rely on temporary co-operation to achieve gains as happens in the breaks.

The last thing the organisers or sponsors would be the ill feeling that would arise from actions such as you advocate. This isn't motor racing where energy can be expended with equinamity and refuelling is merely a matter of filling the tank. Cycling is more complicated and unwritten rules are both necessary and enforced by competitors.

Geoff

Yes there's plenty of unwritten rules in cycling which are based on sportsmanship.

Remember when Wiggo won the tour he slowed up to allow his oponents to catch up after a spectator threw tacks on the course creating havoc. He was known as Le Gentlemen after that.

Posted by Bill_B on 26/07/2015 11:56:55:
Posted by Dave Hopkin on 26/07/2015 09:29:39:

Personally I'm not much interested in what's considered good or bad form, I want to see a race to the bitter end and I'm sure, truth be known, so would the organisers and sponsors.

Pro tour cycling just doesnt work that way, it a team event, no-one can win the Tour without his domestiques in support - the distances and demands a race like the TDF make on the riders dwarfs every other sport I can think off - they have code of conduct and generally stick to it quite rigidly and the TDF more than any other has created its own traditions and customs - and the last day (especially after Alpe D'heuz the day before) is a celebration of the Tour with champagne being sipped as the process towards Paris - the stage race itself doesnt start till they enter the Champs Elysees

Posted by Bill_B on 26/07/2015 16:02:53:

Thanks Dave, but I was club cycling in the early 70's (South Pennine) and following Pro cycling form about that time too.

My wife has been treasurer of the other Derby club (Mercury) for the past 25 years so I guess we are (or were in the 70s) near neighbours. I stsrted cycling in the 70s primarily to get fit for sailing but got quite keen on pedaling in the process and spent a few quid with Penine stalwarts Mercian Cycles.

It seems the TdF race management decided conditiond were too slippery and stopped the clock on the first crossing of the line on the Champs. However there was a keen race for the sprinters with Greipel demonstrating once more that he's the sprinter du jour. I would have liked a Cavendish win but I'd have been equally delighted with Peter Sagan getting the stage he so deserves.

What a fantastic Tour this year. Not an easy stage throughout the 3 weeks and drama every day. They all deserve a medal.

Geoff

Bravo Bravo Sky Guys. But, why have the evil French Press got it in for Chris Froome? He seems like a modest unassuming character. There is not a real whiff of scandal re. doping. The 'electric bike' story has been put to rest, and he showed his true mettle when he was really up against the wee Columbian on Alp d'Huez

The tour was not quite long enough for a complete SE5a, The first coat of paint is drying as I speak. Another week should do it, but as you true scale guys know too well, it's the finishing that takes the time.

I got all the tiny bits from Micron. They are really excellent. I had a problem with a lipo thats about the size of my forefinger. No problem, it was replaced by return

Yes, what a fantastic tour

Great service

ernie