How do I remove a slight twist in an EPO fues?

image.jpgMaidened my ASK23 tonight....

It was a bit hairy!

First issue was the throttle setting, it wasn't sensing the full top setting of the stick, managed to sort that in the travel adjust settings on my DX6i.

So, that sorted, I launched... It needed a lot of left aileron trim.

It wasn't holding altitude well either (I put that down to the C of G being too far forward.

Anyway, I felt I was fighting it more than flying it!

When I had managed to land I noticed that the T-tail is not level with the wings, I've had a good look and can only be down to a twist in the fues.

I think I read here once that hot or warm water on it could do the trick?

Any help much appreciated!

Edited By Wiltshire Flyer on 29/06/2015 20:49:04

Advert

Great point! Thanks Matt

Another prob I had was an intermittent one.

When opening the throttle sometimes it would pulse once or twice on opening the throttle then power up as normal?

I had a lot of problems fitting the battery as it isn't an FMS one, but it leaves the ESC sat touching the battery.... Interference maybe?

In my experience, correcting anything that's warped with heat/steam/pusuasion only ends up in a return to its warped state. I've tried it on balsa, foam and even guitar necks (honestly).

As Matt says, assemble the aircraft and then, using Mk1 eyeball or a digital level, pack the tail plane accordingly.

However it's a bit difficult if you have a twisted wing (Riot owners please note) cheeky

However from your symptoms I would check wing incidence - port vs. starboard.

Edited By Stevo on 30/06/2015 17:44:16

Hi E.D, there wasn't really... I am using a different Lipo to the FMS range and getting it to fit was a nightmare.

The ESC wires made it so that it was sat under the Lipo, so I put it beside it on its side.

Reckon that wasn't the best idea.

The canopy when in comes down so low into the bay that it's really hard to sort things in there.

So today I made some modifications (pilots gone) and am very happy with everything now.

Will pop some pics up tomorrow.

This is my second FMS powered glider that I'm less than impressed with so I think a lesson is learned here.'

Hi Stevo, yes I am going to pack it on one side and will check incidence, cheers mate.

Well, packed the horizontal stab, made a balsa plate to sit the Lipo above the ESC and moved the rx up into the upper part of the canopy.

Hand launches are hairy as it does not want to fly... Once speed is up it does a bad job if everything...,

I moved the C of G back a little which has stopped the constant tip stalling in turns but it just WONT glide!

Take it up to 300 ft and 10 seconds later it's back ......,

I'll not buy FMS again, I'm probably going to remove the electronics and bin it 😤

Many many thanks to Matt, ED, and Stevo for your advice.

But I feel I have to share my dissapointment at the lack of help from others who I have seen on here that have helped many people with similar issues.

Many views but little response? Did I say something wrong?

Any fellow flyer I meet I always recommend this forum to, I say it's a great place always loads of help etc .

on this topic I feel a little let down....

Well, never mind...... I'm not a child who needs patronising, I am disappointed but it's not the end of the world.

why have I had so little response I don't know... Miffed? Yes.....

Never mind.....,

Hi WF,

Just popped in for a look! Appears you've got the warp sorted. Shame it's a bad flier though, I'd definitely talk to the manufacturers about it. Just a thought but have you got the ailerons set right? Not inadvertently got a bit of reflex in them?

Shaunie.

I think as fliers we all go through periods when nothing appears to go right. The more often you fly then the more frequent these challenging times occur. Purchasing a model which doesn't fly as expected is thankfully quite rare but I'm sure you have had many happy hours of flying with models you've had to tweak and tune. Whether it's because I'm from a sailing background where you and the crew are nearly constantly working the sail controls to alter the sails shape to get the best performance I'm not sure, but to me tuning is an inherent part of flying. However, in saying this I do have a couple of gliders which rarely see the sunlight. At times I see them as just lost causes which to be honest they probably are but I'm not going to give with them. There'll be a day when I'm in the right mood and I'll persevere to hopefully improve their flight characteristics (I hope).

Occasionally, again relating to sailing. It is best to start from scratch again! Take everything off all the adjustments, masts and shrouds the lot and then start putting everything back on in an average position. This often gets you back to a well balanced boat, meaning it can sail into the wind by itself with no input from the helm (rudder). Perhaps this is something you could perhaps try. If this fails then you'll have to dissect the design of the wings and fuse to identify where the flaws are.

Don't give up without a fight yes

Hello Wiltshire - with one or two notable exceptions, I've had the same lack of response to queries I've posted about incidence angles on an Acrowot foam-e. I feel a bit frustrated and on-my-own but then other queries I've posted have produced a much greater response and I've had a lot of help. I think its a question of what forumites are most interested in. Look at Danny F's Chipmunk thread - currently 1374 posts and over 63,000 views. Don't be upset - even if this time around the forum isn't helping you too much its still the best place for us chaps to hang around.

Ian.

Yeah, WF. As Stevo says, don't loose heart.

If others, like me, have seen someone else reply with the same or similar answer, then there is no point in repeating that answer. Also, you will only get replies from the guys who know what they are talking about on any particular subject... Others, like me, won't answer if we don't feel confident in that answer... wink

Edited By simon barr on 04/07/2015 13:56:01