1.5m aerobatic project

Advert

Thanks for the positive comments! smiley

I'm still in the process of drawing up the revised wing panels. Need to finish that, get them built and see if it improves the handling any.

I'll only be comfortable sharing the design once I'm happy with the way it performs, and for now that's not the case. As usual it's that elusive combination of time and motivation that's currently dictating the pace of things but I'll hopefully have some progress to share soon!

Lot of interest in this - have you contacted a certain Mr Ashby and see whether he would be interested in a plan and article. You have already done the donkey work and there are quite a few here clamouring to build one. He is very approachable and always looking for quality for the magazine

M

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Had a first go with the mkII wing this afternoon. Much better! Seems like a good platform to build on so I'll order some more batteries and start fine tuning the set up. It's too nose heavy at the moment but a shift of battery position should fix that. The wing tips are deliberately uncovered for now as I intend to fit some SFG's. Thought I'd get a feel for it without them for now.

cd cover-3143.jpg

cd cover-3145.jpg

cd cover-3150.jpg

cd cover-3159.jpg

cd cover-3162.jpg

cd cover-3165.jpg

One week on, I've added the wing tip SFG's and had another couple of flights on it. The SFG's have certainly added to the knife edge performance and although I didn't try it I'm very confident it will knife edge loop without too much trouble. In general it flies well but annoyingly it still drops a wing every now and then. It's good enough to fly for now but I may end up doing a mk3 wing with less taper before I'm fully happy with it.

untitled-3240.jpg

untitled-3238.jpg

untitled-3245.jpg

• 1 year later...

Been a while since I've posted an update on this!

After flying the plane on the mk2 wing for a while I concluded that the wing still had too much taper. It was a little too ready to drop a wing which doesn't really make for an enjoyable flying experience! So, I made a 3rd set of wings with a totally different plan form (and a new set of tail feathers to go with it) and I think I've finally got there! Tested it today in lovely calm conditions and was really happy with it. Does 'the book' and can do all the 3D stuff too. Knife-edge is really impressive and the rudder is very powerful.

I was on my own so no vid or shots of it in the air but I hope to get some soon. Only thing now is that it's a little under-powered for my liking, but that could be as simple as trying a few different props. Anyway, it was good to get it back in the air again.

20171006_150627.jpg

20171006_150649.jpg

slate-6413.jpg

slate-6418.jpg

• 1 month later...

lovely model with a very original and pleasant shape, I hope one day it will come as a free plan. and maybe as an more easy to build it your self model, those formers and fuselage sides would be a pain to cut without a laser cutterdisgustwink something like the old stilletto maybe?..

Anyway...well done! and keep it up.

Regards

Daniel