Flying Modes

Ben Kelly

Hi all,

I have flown a few small multi-rotors previously but i have just taken the plunge and bought myself a Emax Nighthawk 250 arf quad.

I have set everything up as per the instructions and i have had it flying beautifully. (Although at this point i'm only in the hovering stage and trying to keep my orientation).

Now my question....

Can i switch the quad from being Mode 2 to Mode 1?? I ask this as i currently fly FW and i don't want to be getting myself into any sticky situations because of a momentary lapse of concentration where i apply aileron instead of rudder.

I use a Taranis X9D plus and i have tried swapping the channels around in the mixing page so that rudder is channel 4 and aileron is channel 1 but this actually grounds my quad and it wont spin up. I've also tried simply swapping the connections round in the receiver (X8R) and this has the same results.

if anyone knows of a way i can do this then it would be a lot of help to me.

Thanks,

Ben.

Advert

I'm not familiar with this particular quad - but regarding Taranis I would have programmed this switch over in the "Inputs" screen rather than the mixer.

If I were you Ben I'd think carefully about this. I can't recall ever having seen a quad flying in mode 1. I'm not saying it can't be done - or that there isn't someone somewhere who has done it! But its certainly very rare - and all the mode 1 flyers I know who also fly quads tend to fly their quads in mode 2.

I can't help feeling that separating the pitch and roll commands on a quad would make it very difficult to control - particularly in manual - but hey, that could just be because I'm a mode 2 flyer!

BEB

Somebody I flew with 10+ years ago used to fly helis and fixed-wing on different modes. I think it was Mode 1 for f/w and 2 for helis. It seemed to me a strange thing to do, but he told me it wasn't a problem - it's just the way he did it. I guess he started on f/wing on mode 1 and later picked-up helis on mode 2.

What flight controller are you running in your quad?

I am guessing at a CC3D as this is a very popular board at the minute and is often sold with ARF racers.

So, you need to take the props off your quad, plug it into the computer and run OpenPilot GCS. You should then find the tab called Transmitter wizard and follow that, the board will then automatically map the channels by linking them to the stick movements you make when asked. OpenPilot is very intuitive and simple to use so don't be frightened of it - you'll need it later to increase rates and change flight modes for getting your quad to do flips and stuff.

Thing to remember with quads is that apart from expo (and even that can be done on the PC it's just that I prefer to use the TX so I can adjust in the field) everything should be done with the quad connected to the computer. Even using TX trims can throw a wobbly on lots of boards.

Edited By Chris Jones 7 on 18/07/2015 23:03:43

I fly everything mode 1 (f/w, quads and heli) and to my thinking the channels shouldn't change anywhere .. the difference is only which side the sticks are on the TX.

So there shouldn't be any wiring changes to do but if going from one TX to another you will need to calibrate the FC to match the radio especially with the amount of throw to make sure the arm / disarm works

#edit# all on a taranis plus by the way 

Edited By Mark Stringer on 19/07/2015 08:44:43

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 18/07/2015 19:56:39:

I can't help feeling that separating the pitch and roll commands on a quad would make it very difficult to control - particularly in manual - but hey, that could just be because I'm a mode 2 flyer!

BEB

As a Mode 1 flyer, I'm intrigued as why splitting the pitch and roll functions would be considered a problem. I fly F/W and Helis and a little quad all on mode 1 - so am I missing something here? Not getting into any M1 V M2 debate, just curious.

I think its just me being a mode 2 flyer TBH Cuban and the fact that although I know a lot of quad flyers it just so happens that the ones I know who are mode 1 flyers fly quads in mode 2! To me it seems incredibly difficult when flying a quad in manual to separate those two functions. Of course in a stabilised mode such as ATTI or GPS it would be easier. Just a personal perspective.

BEB

Thanks for all the replies.

I can get used to flying Mode 2 for the Quad but as i said in my original post i don't want to end up flying one of my planes, wanting to do an aileron roll and basing over the rudder or the opposite with the quad.

I am going to try and change it through OpenPilot. I originally tried swapping it with the Baseflight configurator that is recommended in the instructions but its worth giving them both a go.

Thanks,

Ben

Posted by Ben Kelly on 19/07/2015 19:30:43:

I can get used to flying Mode 2 for the Quad but as i said in my original post i don't want to end up flying one of my planes, wanting to do an aileron roll and basing over the rudder or the opposite with the quad.

I am going to try and change it through OpenPilot. I originally tried swapping it with the Baseflight configurator that is recommended in the instructions but its worth giving them both a go.

Thanks,

Ben

Ok so quick update, OpenPilot couldn't find the Quad when it was plugged in. It seems my options seem to be to try and sort it through Baseflight Configurator or simply learn to fly with the Rudder and Aileron switched around.

smiley

I fly a TREX 500L using GPRO FBL controller in Mode 1. The set up program doesn't need to know what mode you are flying. The channel numbers are all the same, you are just using different sticks to control them. You just change it in the transmitter.

I can't speak for a Taranis but on a Futaba you hold the + and - buttons at the same time whilst powering on. This puts you into the base menu where you can select flight mode. You then have to take the back off and swap the ratchet for a spring on the left gimbal and a spring for a ratchet on the right gimbal and it's done.

Posted by Ben Kelly on 19/07/2015 21:04:54:
Posted by Ben Kelly on 19/07/2015 19:30:43:

Thanks,

Ben

Ok so quick update, OpenPilot couldn't find the Quad when it was plugged in. It seems my options seem to be to try and sort it through Baseflight Configurator or simply learn to fly with the Rudder and Aileron switched around.

smiley

Open pilot won't find any quad that doesn't have one of their boards, each flight controller will have its own software to change parameters. We need to know which board you are running? You said you used base Flight? I assume you have a Mode1 TX? Just make sure you are bound to your quad and then run base flight. Somewhere there should be a TX/RC screen where you can set it up as you wish.

There should be a TX calibration tab somewhere in Baseflight. I don't use it myself but I do need to download it so I'll have a look and get back to you.

How is your receiver connected to the board? Is it linked normally ie one channel one servo plug or by cppm or one servo plug does them all?

Posted by Chris Jones 7 on 21/07/2015 17:00:32:

There should be a TX calibration tab somewhere in Baseflight. I don't use it myself but I do need to download it so I'll have a look and get back to you.

How is your receiver connected to the board? Is it linked normally ie one channel one servo plug or by cppm or one servo plug does them all?

Honestly i'm not sure. I'm new to everything Quads so i am still learning all the correct terminology.

Hopefully these pictures will help answer your question.imag0858.jpg

imag0859.jpg

Ok, that's PWM.

So, you say if you change the plugs over on the RX for Aileron and rudder that the quad won't spin up? Have you checked your channels in base flight once you've done this? You may find you will need to change your arming procedure (I'm unfamiliar with this quad so don't know how you normally arm the board) it may be that to arm you need to apply an input on the right stick instead of the left or vice versa.

Posted by Chris Jones 7 on 23/07/2015 07:37:24:

Ok, that's PWM.

So, you say if you change the plugs over on the RX for Aileron and rudder that the quad won't spin up? Have you checked your channels in base flight once you've done this? You may find you will need to change your arming procedure (I'm unfamiliar with this quad so don't know how you normally arm the board) it may be that to arm you need to apply an input on the right stick instead of the left or vice versa.

Thanks Chris this managed to get it working and you were right i had to change the arming procedure.

Now i have another question. Does anyone know if i can use the Fatshark Predator V2 RTF goggles with this setup using the on board fpv system?? I have been offered a cheap set so this would be idea.

Thanks,

Ben.

Two questions spring to mind:

1. Are the FatShark goggles you are looking at complete with a Fat Shark or ImmersionRC video transmitter?

2. Does the on-board camera on the 250 have a video output connector that is compatable with the transmitter? Or is it hardwired into the system?

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 29/07/2015 16:37:07

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 29/07/2015 16:36:48:

Two questions spring to mind:

1. Are the FatShark goggles you are looking at complete with a Fat Shark or ImmersionRC video transmitter?

2. Does the on-board camera on the 250 have a video output connector that is compatable with the transmitter? Or is it hardwired into the system?

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 29/07/2015 16:37:07

BEB,

The system is a complete RTF kit with the Immersion RC video Tx. Also the on board camera, i believe is wired in to the on board Tx but i would have to check to be sure. I do have the option of completely removing the system that came with the Quad but i just thought it would be easier to use it.

Ben.

It all depends on what format the on-board camera is giving out. The ImmersionRC Tx can cope with a pretty wide range of video formats - but not all of them! You would have to break into the video feed from the camera by unsoldering it from the on board Tx and re-route it to the ImmersionRC Tx - for which you will need a connector. I suggest you have a good look at the camera, see if you can find a tech sheet on it on the web and find out what it outputs.

Even if its output is not in a format the ImmersionRC can deal with (which is unlikely to be honest unless its something very odd) it will not harm the video Tx. So if you are prepared to replace the camera if need be then I would get the goggles, try it with the current camera - in the unlikley event that doesn't work then you can replace the camera - typical small CMOS cameras that work fine with Fat Shark are very cheap so if the goggles are being offered at a very good price you could replace the camera and still be in pocket.

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 29/07/2015 20:07:10:

It all depends on what format the on-board camera is giving out. The ImmersionRC Tx can cope with a pretty wide range of video formats - but not all of them! You would have to break into the video feed from the camera by unsoldering it from the on board Tx and re-route it to the ImmersionRC Tx - for which you will need a connector. I suggest you have a good look at the camera, see if you can find a tech sheet on it on the web and find out what it outputs.

Even if its output is not in a format the ImmersionRC can deal with (which is unlikely to be honest unless its something very odd) it will not harm the video Tx. So if you are prepared to replace the camera if need be then I would get the goggles, try it with the current camera - in the unlikley event that doesn't work then you can replace the camera - typical small CMOS cameras that work fine with Fat Shark are very cheap so if the goggles are being offered at a very good price you could replace the camera and still be in pocket.

BEB

Thanks BEB,

I've taken a look at the camera and it is connected straight to the on board Tx with a small 3 pin connector. However, it is too small for me to just swap over the cameras as they are both slightly different sizes, also it is a camera that has the PCB exposed behind the lens which also screws to the current mount So for me to fit the FatShark camera i would have to put in a new mount as the current one is too big and the camera simply falls through with nothing to screw it to.

I think my best option may be to just swap over the FPV systems and modify the current mount to accommodate the camera that comes with the goggles.

Quick update, i couldnt find any tech sheet for the camera, mostly becuase i dont have a part/serial number for the camera so I contacted Quadcopters.co.uk who i bought the quad from and they have assured me that the Predator fpv goggles will work with this unit.

My next challenge is finding out how to get the FPV camera, Tx and goggles all on the same channel.