Following the building plan . . .

Sitting here, just finishing off my latest build I started wondering . . .

Are there modellers out there who manage to build a whole plan or kit without modifying some part of the build?

I have never managed that fear. As soon as I start building my mind starts to see possible improvements or shortcuts. The result is I am sure I take at least twice as long to complete any build as I would have had I stuck mindlessly to the original design. I am not sure that my modifications have improved any aspect of the design, I just feel the completed model is more personal than otherwise.

Needless to say I have never assembled an ARF for these very reasons.Come to think of it I could change the stickers and colour scheme, but it would still be just the same as all the other ARFs on the field.

Advert

Nah

The whole point of building is to add the bits you like, not always improvements, just tweaks that make you feel more comfortable with the model.

My usual additions are:

• Changes to horns and hinges
  • Adding webs in the fuselage and wing and generally smoothing out stress discontinuities
  • Adding gussets - usually lots
  • Covering materials

I tend to keep flying and control surface area the same but will happily change them if I think they are wrong. I try and keep incidence and thrust lines as per the designer intended as well.

Martyn

I'd agree with Martynyes

Its all about adding a little here and there as you progress to ensure its as robust for the purpose you intend.. you may add a slightly larger motor, different undercarriage, or you have experience from other models/designs where a weakness has occured and you can "build this out" in your very own build... Belt and braces...

All good fun and food for the grey matter...

Agreed - when I say that I like to build from plans, I always stress the word 'from'! I'm about to start my first kit build for many years and I've already got tracing paper taped over various sections to mark out the changes. As others have said, these customisations all go to strengthen the bond between model and modeller.

Or in the case of the Hornet Moth plan from "my toy cupboard, nah-nee-ah-nah" company, completely redraw it from the word go or build something that wouldn't look like a Hornet Moth and couldn't even BE built, so appalling was the draughtsmanship. I have never wasted 15 quid so easily!

I trust they're not all like that sheet of scribble.

MrTin

Foxfan, in this game, if you worry about 15 quid, you have not suffered for long enough, I have blown near on 100 today, and it did not spoil my dinner. What is the point of being second best, when with a lot of application, you MAY become better.

As it happens I've just started building a Maher's Thunderbird. The first thing I've done is to make it a two piece wing. Then there's the question of whether to fit flaps or not - maybe not but at this stage I've left my options open.

Hinging - everyone has their favourites, in this case it'll be Robarts all round.

I think I did actually build the Jabberwok according to the plan, though I may have added a few fillets around the U/C mountings.

So it is exactly to plan except for that.

And the carbon rod elevator/rudder bracing.

ok, Except for fillets and bracing.

And the cowl mount might not be quite as per plan.

So except fillets, bracing and cowl mounting it is as per plan.

Oh yes, the tailwheel, didn't like the supplied one.

Hmmm.

Posted by Peter Miller on 20/07/2015 18:25:33:

Modifying plans is the first stage in designing.

I concur with Peter wholeheartedly! I don't think I've ever followed a plan without making some major structural changes along the way to suit my own preferences.

I'm often surprised by those who insist on following a plan slavishly to the nth degree.

tim