Evo 10cc

Simon Taylor 3

I'm just running in my Evo 10cc gasser engine in, now on about the 4th tank of fuel and I'm still getting a huge amount of black gunk from the exhaust, which in turn turns the fuel in the tank black, almost instantly, via the muffler pressure pipe. The mixture is right at 20:1, I'm using fully synthetic two stroke, and the mixture seams ok as it's running pretty well. It's costing me a fortune in wipes and it's not got off the ground yet.

Any suggestions, gratefully accepted.

Advert

While I have no direct experience with that engine I have heard many people say exactly the same. I also had a similar experience with a Laser 4 stroke I converted for testing and the problem only got better after I went to 40:1 oil. However, following conversations with the guys at horizon I would not recommend reducing the oil content as the engine will seize up.

Time to buy shares in a wet wipes company!

yes Simon, it will chuck out black gunge for at least a gallon or two, and no, it doesn't have a pumped carb so it does need exhaust pressure. What it has is a regulater in the carb, people often mistake this for a pump.

I don't think it will ever be as clean running as the larger petrols running on 40 or 50:1 mix. I'm running in a 35 on 30:1 and was surprised at the black oily residue coming out of that. It's not on the scale of a glow engine, but it is there.

Unfortunately the Evo 10 instructions do specify 20:1 so as John said, it will never be totally clean running. You reduce the oil content at your own risk. It was suggested to me that the best thing to clean up with is more petrol.

• 4 weeks later...

Sad to say it does chuck out some 'orrible black gunk & it takes some shifting too....petrol or thinners needed...sad.

It does reduce as the engine runs in however. I'm currently running mine on 25:1 mix (fully synthetic 2T from the bike shop) & it seems fine on that....usual warning about doing this at your own risk of course....

One very worthwhile mod is to throw away the standard Evo silencer & replace it with an ASP Super Quiet silencer from the ASP52....perfect fit & being baffled it really takes the crackle off the exhaust note....only costs a few pounds from HK.....thumbs up