How many regular flyers at your field?

Posted by Mowerman on 12/08/2015 10:15:46:

Like VA above I have now become an 'occasional' flyer due to SWMBO's health problems but used to be a regular midweek flyer along with the other members of the 'bus pass brigade' so I guess that some weekend flyers will not see those who fly midweek.

Bus pass brigade = those over 60. AKA the Saga louts cheeky

I prefer the "Grey Dawn Patrol"...........

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

Phoenix Model Flying Club Lowestoft I am the membership secretary, we currently have 36 members, have a private flying site with a locked gate, (apart from the members who unlock it lol) We can fly 7 days per week no restrictions, In other words an ideal site, on a good day (at weekends) might get 8-10 members over there, but mostly the same hard core 5-6 members, been like that ever since i have been a member since 2009, but as everybody seems to agree, they just subsidise our flying and make the place less crowded....long may it continue

Quite reassuring reading this thread! I double up as Treasurer and Membership Secretary, we have nearly 60 members.

Fifteen or so of them I wouldn't know if I fell over them! They join every year and as far as I can tell they never fly!

Ten or so do fly, but tend to do so at unusual times - so are rarely seen! But they do fly fairly regularly

About Fifteen are "die-hards" their at least once, and often more times, most weeks all year round.

The remaining twenty fly occassionally, never in the winter, and maybe once a month or less in the summer.

So, the answer to the OP is - about a quarter of our members fly regularly. This used to bother me a bit - I couldn't understand why you would join a R/C flying club year after year and not fly? But like many others I'v simply decided to accept its human nature and its subsidising my flying, so why should I worry?!

BEB

I have been a member of my club for 8 years and there are 120members. In all that time I have met about 50ish of the members at the most. It seems to be the same 20 or 30 faces you see mostly with a few others on occasions.

As for the other 70 odd members who knows.

As people say, why pay year after year and never use the club? I know it all adds to the club funds but on the other hand we have a waiting list of 20 or so people wanting to join who cant because the membership is full, as we have set a limit on membership. Some people have been waiting several years now to join.

God knows what would happen if every member turned up on the same day!

As an asside its the same faces that also turn up to the agm every year.

I belong to a small 35 member club. "Club days" are Wednesday and Saturday afternoons. Can fly dawn to dusk any other time. But on a " club day" beware the corex combat job at £5 an airframe. They are fast, and not to be in the air with an expensive airframe with a couple of hundred hours work invested. Hence I am seen flying scrap when I make an appearance. Perhaps one flying session in five. The other half of the non appearance coin. A gallon of fuel does not last a month, and I fly no large engine jobbies. And I try to be a good club member

We've installed a camera that transmits a photo every ten minutes throughout the day. These can be reviewed at the end of everyday and viewed as a video. So, we can see who is at the field remotely and I know that over 50% of our club rarely, if ever, come to the field.

I consider myself to be fairly active in the hobby -- unless the weather is hideous, it is rare that 48 hours will pass without me having flown something -- but I am in three clubs and also attend various Fly-Ins so my attendance at any given site could be patchy .

I have been at my local club site many times this year when the weather has been lovely hot but nobody else has been there. . . It's a funny old game, eh.

B.C.

Posted by Chris Mobbs on 21/08/2015 13:13:11:

Phoenix Model Flying Club Lowestoft I am the membership secretary, we currently have 36 members, have a private flying site with a locked gate, (apart from the members who unlock it lol) We can fly 7 days per week no restrictions, In other words an ideal site, on a good day (at weekends) might get 8-10 members over there, but mostly the same hard core 5-6 members, been like that ever since i have been a member since 2009, but as everybody seems to agree, they just subsidise our flying and make the place less crowded....long may it continue

Everyones different i suppose, i am/was in a club for 2.5 years, and got my a with them, however it was the familar faces, nice guys of course however they are in another age bracket from me, so i will join or new club or two to meet new people with different models, skills, views, etc...i need variety, its the spice of life/ abit of strange is good! The old club? Similar to the storey above.