How many regular flyers at your field?

Our club has about two dozen members but most of this year there have only been 4 or 5 there flying on Saturdays and even less other days.

How many of your club members are regular flyers?

My feeling is that, as long as they pay their subs we can pay the land owner and keep the field so they subsidize those of us who do attend and fly.

Edited By Mowerman on 08/08/2015 19:25:06

Advert

That is true of any club in any field of interest, I think.

At the local flying club the only time there's more than the usual 5 or 6 suspects is if there's an organised event.

Luckily, I'm tolerated by them as a spectator and asker of endless questions, but until I actually get something to fly and those suspects stop talking about their endless pensions, I shan't actually pay any subs!

MrTin

in our club... BVRMC... we have 127 members - i would struggle to name more than 30......... at our site this afternoon there was 6-7 flying/talking..and at our monthly club meetings there are normally(if we are lucky) 20 members max.............it cost less than 3p a day to use our site.

ken anderson...ne...1 chairman of BVRMC dept.

We have 100 members and no more than 25 are regulars but the bulk of the flying is done by the same 15. My attitude is the same as Mowerman, the bulk of the membership pay for the fantastic facilities that we have.

Some members belong to more than one club and do the bulk of their flying elsewhere. Some belong to other clubs and don't fly at any! At a Club night we get 30-40 depending on the event, the best attended are the BBQ nights where we provide 'free' food.

My current club has around 35 members, but, events apart, I've never seen more than 10 folks at the field, usually 5-6 at the most. However, different groups of flyers fly at different times. I get the impression that it is mostly a morning club - but not an early morning club - folks arrive mid morning and are packing up by 2-3 o'clock. A different group will arrive mid afternoon.

My old club had between 80-130 members and the hard core regular flyers numbered about 30, with usually 10-15 at the field at any particular time. That was more of a long day club, with folks arriving mid morning and often staying untillate afternoon, and a steady stream of arrivals through the day.

The club was required by the landlord to keep a site log for security purposes and I used to collate all the data every six months, which gave detailed figures on how many members were on site every day.

y first club was very much an early morning club - at the field before 8am and generally packing up and heading off home by 1pm.

I tend to be a go to the club for the day sort and pack the car with models for such an eventuality - that comes from being used to having a 30 minute drive to the field. I think that the perception of how many flyers there are comes from the observation window that one uses to look at that and my overall impression is that many folks might underestimate how many flyers there are using the field, if just basing it on the time they attend.

As my club's membership secretary (130 members), I'd say 10% of the members never fly from one year to the next, 65% are occasional flyers, fitting in their stick time around family and work commitments when possible; and the remaining 25% are pretty much the hard core, who turn up regularly no matter what. Rough figures, but not so far out I should think.

We have seven days a week access to our field, so those that are unable to fly on Sunday when it's busy are still classed as regulars, but fly on convenient days/afternoons or evenings during the week.

We rely on the 'no shows' and occasional flyers to keep the club solvent!

I think the lack of attendance in large groups is a country wide thing. More and more people work varying shift patterns and get a couple of hours at the field when they can . I remember when I started at my present club last century (1980's) Sunday mornings were very busy but nearly every one worked Mon to Fri and possibly Sat morning then all rushed to the club on Sunday . I worked shifts back then and the only day I would see anyone at our field was on a Wenesday when a group who called themselves "The Pensioners "gather to fly vintage models .They have sadly nearly all passed away . Now there are flyers at the field usually in smaller groups throughout the week and being retired and living very close to our field I see and meet  them  flying through the week . The one thing I do find frustrating though is tat when we organise a club BBQ or club day very few attend ? I questioned some of our members for feedback and the main reason for not attending at weekends was that they were either visiting relatives or shopping ! Yes shopping on Sunday . Life has changed and not all for the better . As per Cuban 8 post above our figures pretty much match his , but so long as we have the numbers we can stay solvent.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 11/08/2015 10:19:32

Edited By Engine Doctor on 11/08/2015 10:21:48

Posted by Peter Miller on 11/08/2015 11:17:15:

We had 10 out of 15 members on SUnday plus a prospective new member.

Three were on holiday or it would have been every active member.

With only 15 members, either your field rent (if you have a landlord) is very cheap or the subs are a couple of hundred quid each!!!surprise

Small is beautiful, though...............yes

This seems to be quite a common thing.

I am membership secretary of the club I am in, we have 38 members only 8 of which are regular flying site users.

If it`s warm and sunny with a light wind then more will turn up but if we count more than 15 then it`s a good turn out.

I find it a little odd that folk will pay to join a club but not use it.

The difficulty is that "How many regular fliers at the field" is very different to "How many at the field when I'm there".

I would probably be considered only an occasional flier by many of my clubmates but I'm often there two to three times a week. It's just that it's quite close to my work so I can grab just one or two flights in the evening just before dusk. From my perspective I could say I'm the only one who flies there as I'm often alone! I try to go Saturday afternoons to fly with the others but if I get there at about 2pm several are leaving having been there since 9 or 10. I also believe there is a Sunday morning club but I can never make it then. I think the only true answer is a sign in book and my club doesn't have one.

Shaunie.

Like VA above I have now become an 'occasional' flyer due to SWMBO's health problems but used to be a regular midweek flyer along with the other members of the 'bus pass brigade' so I guess that some weekend flyers will not see those who fly midweek.

Bus pass brigade = those over 60. AKA the Saga louts cheeky