New to Autogyros

Geoff Daunt

Hello, Just back from the BMFA Nationals and for sometime have fancied something different and there it was on one of the trade stands. A HobyKing ARTF Super G Autogyro. Contents look pretty good but will not be assembling untill l return to Spain later this month.Instructons say nothing about balancing of blades but having flown the odd Heli l am aware of this fact and happy how to do this. Also nothing about flying instructions and although a reasonable flier of power,gliders and the odd basic heli, no exp. of Gyros

Just wondering if anyone else has this model and if so any tips/advice on any assembly issues and flying. I cannot find any reviews for this model

Any advice or other areas to look appreciated.

Geoff

Hi Geoff, there is a thread titled 'Autogyro Maidens for newbies' on the forum by Tom Wright 2 but I don't seem to be able to copy and paste. Lots of info too on the Atom Special build thread by Rich Harris. Hope this helps. I'm sure someone will come along soon and put you right who is better qualified than me. I just keep crashing and bashing!!!

Cheers

Bob

Geoff

My 10 penn'orth. I've flown a few gyro's including a couple of Auto-G's, they fly well and the spin-up works a treat. They'll also withstand the odd rough and tumble "landing" .

I suspect any more posts will warn you about disorientation. A friend put contrasting day-glo patches on his gyro fuselage to aid orientation. It did help a bit !

Happy gyro-ing

David

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bob, Thanks for he information. Sorry for the late response. The article was very good. Following further research l have found a site "RC Model Geeks " who do a complete build of this Gyrocopter on U-Tube and also take it out and fly it. So this has answered all my issues.....and it flies. Take a look it is worth the visit. many thanks, Geoff.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to ask can or indeed have helicopter blades been used successfully on auto gyros? I ask only as HK seem to do some great deals on helicopter blades,including carbon fibre ones which surly must have weight and lift advantages. Perhaps Rich Harris and other gyro nuts/ experts could shed some light on this,I would be really interested in hearing about experiments and hopefully some successes or failures problem solving etc.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve.

I seem to remember this question being raised a number of times, possibly in the Panther build/support thread.

If memory serves, the answer was that helicopter blades are of the wrong profile for autogyros. I believe they have either a semi-symmetrical or symmetrical profile whereas autogyro blades are more akin to Clark Y section.

I think this difference contributes to the blades ability to auto-rotate, or at least it's efficiency in doing so.

Cheers,

Grant W.

• 1 month later...

I have taken delivery of one of these. I also fancied something a little different from the usual models. I have never flown one of these before, so it's going to be interesting. Anybody interested in a build? I have also ordered the upgrade metal head and a decent prop to replace the stock item. I plan to use a 3300 4s battery which I have a couple of.