Building jig - uprights replacements

Advert

Hi

I think Cuban8 is right ... that name rings a bell. I remember at the time it seemed quite pricey but over the years its been great. I'd really have preferred to get like for like replacement uprights but I guess that wont be possible then.

Cheers

Mike

Edited By michael quinn 1 on 05/10/2015 13:10:33

Posted by Tomtom39 on 06/10/2015 17:26:24:

Any costings yet?

Yes, but I do not want to go public until the supplier has done some testing to see if the design works as expected. Send me a pm if you want to know more (you don't have a public profile so I cannot send you one).

In the meantime, I played with my 3D Cad software and cranked this out:

jig.jpg

Max.

The replacement uprights/brackets are now available from RBC kits. Cost is 22 euro's for a set of parts for 4 uprights, excluding shipping. Up to 3 sets/12uprights ship to the UK for 15.50 euro's.

The slot is wide enough to take M5 or M6 bolts. Judging by the pictures on the slec site, their bolts may be a tad too short to be used with the RBC uprights. I gave the horizontal legs a height of 25 mm for stability, so you probably should use around 40 mm long bolts, or use longer threaded studs and wingnuts.

RBC is working on a full building jig set along the lines of my picture above, but the cost of shipping a 1200x400 mm 15 mm thick mdf board plus other parts to the UK could be a concern.

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 07/10/2015 10:24:56

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 08/10/2015 10:06:31:

How much is the postage then, as the unit price is around £2.75, still too much in my opinion - I think a simpler (cheaper) design would work just as well.

€14.90 = £10.98 according to Google.

Postage is €8.90 totalling €23.80. Which totals £17.53. That's £4.38 each.

​If you're worried about them bending I bought a set of uprights in a job lot from a guy giving up building a few years back. He epoxied and pinned spruce to avoid them bending, I've done the same with a couple of spares. They're very solid!