Blade CX2

Drew Barker

• 2 weeks later...

hi ian

yes it is the gain, if you look in your manual it will tell you how to set it, if your tail is viabrating it is what they call a loose tail, i'm not sure off the top of my head but i think you need to put in less gain ie turn screw to left. the thing with the cx2 the gain & proportional pots are labeled wrong ie the gain pot is the pot nearest to the motors that says proportional, as i said this is infact the gain pot. go to the following URL for manual if you don't have 1.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/13586/Blade-CX2-Manual

anyone out there help me?  have crashed the CX changed baldes that required it, upper and lower, but the thing now flies forward with out any help, where do I need to start. cant see anything else wrong!

Do I start with the flybar, although it seems straight! or just change the swash plate thingy!

Hi guys what are ya'll doing with Blades ? You should get a Lama!

Joke- we dont seem to have Blades here in Spain but the models are basically the same. To help out the few with trimming issues. Firstly add a 4cm strip of clear tape on the leading edge of the blades starting at the tips and wrap it round to the lower face. This makes the blades MUCH stronger when they hit things. Secondly ANY damage to the blades, even invisible damage will affect the RUDDER trim due to blade tracking induced drag, ie one rotor set will drag more than the other affecting trim. This is usually within the tx's trim range but not always. After practice it is quite possible to "fly" the rudder to control the swing.

Secondly crashes DO affect the swash plate, or pitch and roll or whatever you want to call it.

To fix say a drift to the left, remove the canopy and using the tx add a little "blip" of the control that would correct the drift, ie a little right stick. This will show you what you need to do to the push rod, ie lengthen it or shorten it. Then pop the servo ball link off the swash plate and adjust the push rod in the required direction 1/2 turn at a time. Fly the heli and repeat as necessary.

After a few goes at this you will get the machine to hover hands free. I have found however that while learning it is comfortable to have a little forward trim in (fixed wing habits?)

While learning to fly nose in it helps to crab the nose a little to one side as this gives the orientation you need to go the right way in a tight spot. Always fly the nose not the tail.

I hope to post soon photos a RADICAL MOD to the Lama (or Blade) this being a carbon fiber boom that is dead easy to make and which (quite unexpectedly) gives a huge performance boost by saving weight and really snapping up the tail (rudder) and swash plate responses. It seems that the pants like hollow tail boom acts like a big fin slowing everything down

As to "Bling" bits word on the street is that Ally flybar holders are about the only bits worth buying, the rest add weight and in some cases worse control.

Go well all and get ready to want a collective machine !  F 

OOO I forgot to add that the four in box that contains the gyro should be level. They are (on the Lama) held by double sided tape and can "nod" forward, they should ne level to keep the tail centred. My Lama does indeed change it's ideas about tail trim between flights and I have just noticed that I periodically put it level again.  F

There is conflicting information regarding the two on-board controls.  Chrisw was the first I read who said that the labelling of the proportional and gain pots were reversed. I found that difficult to believe as I felt that such a basic error would have been more widely publicised.
Therefore I sent an email to Eflite asking them to comment and this was their reply.

"Peter,
   Thank you for you recent email. The label is molded into the case.
The gain is toward the nose of the heli. I hope this helps.

Randy
Horizon Hobby Product Support
4105 Fieldstone Rd
Champaign , Il. 61822
1-877-504-0233"

I checked regarding the moulded-on labels and they are as the manual. i.e gain is forward and proportional rearward.
I then did my own tests assuming labelling incorrect. Set rearward pot to half way, set forward pot anticlock. Powered up and raised throttle to about a third. Lower blades rotating fast, upper blades very slow. Powered down.
Rearward pot not moved. Forward pot set clockwise. Powered up and set throttle as before. Upper blades fast lower blades very slow.
Various settins for rearward pot did not appear to make any difference to the above tests.
Round one goes to Chrisw but there may be more info from super-techies.

I change by the set if one is broken and the other rough saving the rough one. Or just the one if the other looks ok.

I don't no how the pots are labeled on the blade but the Lama has gain (gyro sensitivity) on the front and proportional to the rear. It is the prop pot that you can use to check yaw trim problems. NOTE both rotors will NOT start at the same time, you have to get a good metre up and in a good hover before you can tell how your rudder trim is. 

The gain pot controls the gyro's "hold" on the tail. If your tail has a fluttery, twitchy ,rapid left/right oscillation then turn the gain down. If it wags about turn the gain up. Sort your trim out first though, but with perfect blades that track properly. The adjustable link on the fly bar should be used to adjust blade tracking. Get this right before fiddling with the pots, and make sure that the gyro box is level and held firm.

Go well F 

just put the blades that were broken back together, balanced them out with tape, and somewhat pulled the stabalizer bar straight, cant wait for the shop to open to get the spares! and she doesnt fly too bad, can get a fairly stable hover, and minimal TBE, gives me a fix tonight and will trim her up properly tomorrow with straight bits!

Guys, for nose in push the stick towards the wall that you are going to hit.

Outside can be good but I have done the worst damage to my heli outside. It is odd, what feels like dead still often has quite a drift and to fight drift you have to nose into wind (and it won't want to with that fat tail boom) and give all the forward you've got! 

I have taken to dropping tiny bits of toilet roll, and wathching trees, ANY leaf movement is too much wind.

(can't wait for my belt cp but I'm going to have to!) 

I'll try to post my RADICAL tail mod soon!

Hi! I have just got mine this weekend, so did a friend. He tried it out in the shop first. It was his first time on heil's, he liked it so we both got one each with a free battery. I have since had to go to webbs for spear blades just like you. I must say i find it so good for a first time heily flight, other than on simulater. I'am haveing fun trying to hover it  with just one hand like at the shop. We got ours from East Lancs Models, Colne. They were verey helpfule.