Blade CX2

Drew Barker

Anybody else in the world got one of these? I got mine from Steve Webb Models having had to pre order it and wait a week or 2. What a joy to wizz around in the living room with. OK, so I have broken a few rotor blades (Steve Webb to the rescue) but I haven't stopped laughing since I got it and I am new to this heli lark and it is easy to fly not so easy to pinpoint land but what do you expect after a month or so and the novelty has never worn off. There are photos in RCME from the show and I would hope to see a report sometime soonin the mag.

Drew, glad you like it. Yes, we saw it at the show and I too was very impressed with the look of it. Will you see a review in RCM&E? If Helger send one in we'll probably feature it, although we won't be chasing one as from what I can tell it's mechanically very similar to all the other contra-rotating helis out there. This being the case the handling is undoubtedly similar as well. No less impressive though and it's a good looker, too. Anyway, welcome to helicopter flying. I hope the bug bites!

• 1 month later...
I just bought my Blade CX2 from Sussex Model Centre when their new stock eventually arrived. After flying fixed wing gliders and IC for 20 odd years this is a fantastic introduction to rotary wing. What a hoot! And oh so pretty that even she-who-must-be-obeyed appreciated the indoor demo in the lounge!

• 1 month later...
Hi Guys, just got back in to the hobby again after about a four year break.Use to fly a leci koyosha,piccalo and ic concept 30 not to mention pretty much anything and everything with wings,electric or ic.I have just got a Blade to satisfy my yearnings and as an excuse to the wife that I am teaching my 9 year old son.Verdict great! As for the same as others I disagree. It,s a 2.4 GHz radio for start, no worries about mixed chanels or glitches. Comes with lipo instead of having to upgrade,has a lovely fuz and is the most stable one of it's type I have flown.The tail is as solid as a rock with no twitching at all and the throttle is smooth.I have tried nearly all of the current ones on the market through friends and this is without a doubt the best for performance and price.If you are thinking of one of these,don't, just get one.

I had to make a small adjustment to the tail on the onboard pot and at first I did far too much,it just takes a tiny tweak to bring the trim from all the way out to just in the middle.Dont forget if you are hovering you will get ground affect as well as low speed torque.The tail adjustment is made by speeding up or slowing down of the upper and lower blades which are on seperate motors.If one is substantially faster than the other in a very low hover it will affect the tail all the way through the speed range so I have set mine to be streight in a mid height hover.I found it best to adjust it to around a four or five foot hover which adds a bit of speed after that It has been fine every time.If you keep getting seriouse probs what ever you do then take it back to where you got it and see if they can help. Good Luck.

This is perhaps aimed more at Messers Ashby.
Looking at the common story in this thread there seems to be a problem with the torque reaction and a steady hover.
The CX2 and other small e heli's are all sold as ready to fly and test flown. If this is the case why are we having to tweek the onboard pot to correctly adjust the hovering attitude. I personally don't have a problem with this but I can see where JETSOME is comming from.
I also have a Twister FP V2 and straight from the box, once batteries were charged, we had lift off. Immediatly back to the ground and out with screwdriver to do a small tweek. Ah that's better.
BUT WHY, - are these actually test flown prior to sale or is it and advertising gimmick.

• 2 weeks later...
It seems to be the luck of the draw with all electric RC helis, coaxial or otherwise. Some come out of the box & are spot on, others aren't. Torque reaction on take off is normal enough but the heli should be stable in flight. Tweaking the on board pots is a 'suck it & see' job, just make sure you make the adjustments on a fully charged battery.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi all, just bought a Blade CX2, It's my first ever device and I'm totally hooked. There is a little silver switch on the upper left side of the transmitter.. can't find any explanation in the manual as to it's function.Any clues? I'm currently "in the hangar" after a big crash.. waiting for new bits to arrive. Where can I find the best and quickest supply of spares and upgrades? Looking forward to the rest of my airborne life!! Phil.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I got a CX2 last weekend and I have flown it about 10 charges so far.. I had never flown a heli prior to this and it's either really easy to fly helicopters.. or... the CX2 is very easy to fly... once I trimmed it out on a smooth floor it hovers almost perfectly without any input(no wind of course, ideally indoors). My girlfriend made my to 'H' pads from cake bases and red insulation tape, they are about 9" across and I was landing on them perfectly on my second charge, if anyone is interested in gettin gin to heli's the CX2 will definately give you the bug!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

I used a PIC12F683, I am reading PWM in to activate the searchlight which is a high output white LED. The red slow fade in/out LED under the tail is connected to the hardware PWN out on the PIC, the port and starboard LEDs are on with the power so no pin allocation with the flashing tail light on another pin, there is also a servo output for a winch which is a modified micro servo to be continious running and goes up when the vr6 pot is fully clockwise and down when the pot is in the centre position for more than 1 second, this allows the search light to be on/off toggle when fully to the left..

Can you write embedded code?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am new and always been interested in helicopters as I work with them every day. I went to Sussex Model Centre and asked which helicopter would be best to start learning to fly. They showed me the blade cx2 and then I was hooked. I did read up on the cx2 before going to the shop and it have great reviews.

After few flying hours now and some heavy landings and the odd repair. It is still flying fine. I still have to make the trim and adjustment after every repair I needed to carry out. However, at the moment I have just upgraded to metal alloy parts and just test flown the helicopter and it seem to want to go forward as soon as the throttle is applied. I have adjusted the trim and links to the servos, but not get much joy. Can anyone help?

Also I am very interested in the Twister Sky lift (Chinook) as I am very use to the flying chartaistics of the Chinook helicopter. Is it worth the money and are the parts the same as the blade cx2? I think they might be from the picture advertised.

Si.

Hi Si

I had the same problem as your having with the trim, I had a big crash from about 40ft up, all I had left was the main unit. I upgraded with the lloy bits to. When I came to test fly the heli I found I coundn't trim it up, what I found was if you set the alaron and elevator trim to center, then adjust the servo linkage arms until the heli is near enough trimmed then fine trim it on the TX. I also found I had to adjust the gain and proportional pots, this is done a tiny bit at a time, don't forget to re-arm the heli when you make any adjusments to the pots.

Hope this helps Chris.