Miss Demeanor

Advert

Hi Daniel, yes I will be making my own tank as I managed to "acquire" a 20mm brass conduit fitting from work the other day. The highest wattage iron I've got is 40w so I may have to invest in a new one for the job. Don't know how long it will last with the brown-trouser .18 up front though!

Now this is a bit strange! I wrote a post here a few hours ago and it seems to have vanished!

So here we go again!

I tried making the fuel tank this morning and almost cut my thumb off while using a holesaw to cut the 20mm hole for the brass bush in an old biscuit tin. I've since given up on that idea.

I've cut the end off an old square tank and shortened it to fit the airframe but I'm not sure what kind of glue to use to stick the two halves together. Will cyano be ok with glow fuel?

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee181/luggins/IMG_0004.jpg

Oh and I've just bought a SC .15 engine in an attempt to keep the Miss D flying past her de-flowerment!

I hate to say this now but:

You should alwasy hold metal with pliers when doing anything like making holes in it. Guess how I know!

Not sure what glue to use on the tank. I think CA might possibly work but I wouldn't trust it. Phone SLEC on the number that I gave above and ask them, they make them and stick them together.

the design of this airplane is really good, easy to build and simple. (well done pete) the think that holds me not to start build it yet is that tank. i think i will try to find a 2oz tank a stay with that but here in malta are a little bit difficult to find that size.

another possibility is try to enlarge a bit the plan, so i can use my magnum25 and maybe install a 4oz tank

daniel

Hi Ken, I think I took about 20mm off the overall length to get it ti fit between the formers. I should have measured the capacity of the tank when I did the pressure test though, it used to be a 6oz tank.

I used 10 second thin CA to join the two together then "gap-filling" CA around the joint.

Hi Peter,

Do the 1/2" pieces go along tne top and bottom and the 3/8" for either side?

I followed the hole pattern for the snakes on the drawing for the fuselage formers but it looked pretty horrible when I fed them through, the position at F6 is a bit wierd. The way the formers are printed on the drawing, are they facing forward with regard to the nose of the model?

Although it doesn't show it on the drawing or in the text, is the cowl left open from 270 degrees to 360 (looking from nose to tail) to clear the engine?

Cheers,

Doug.

yes, the 1/2" pieces are on top and bottom. 3/8" sides. may need a bit of scrap in corners when carved away.

The formers are front view. I do find that the snake holes need a bit of opening sometimes. Don't forget, the snakes cross over. When the plan doesn't show the plan view this can be  a puzzle.

I actually build the cowl round the engine and then remove the engine from the mount and xcarve to shape.  The cut out for the engine is determined by how much space you need to get at the mounting screws to remove the engine. Crude but it works.

The spinner I bought for this project was a DuBro 2" two-piece dodad with various inserts for different sizes of crankshaft. The problem I have is that the back-plate seems to be a bit on the thick side inasmuch as I can't use the supplied prop washer. As I'd rather not mount the prop without it, does anyone out there know of a spinner manufacturer that has a thinner back-plate?

Irvine makes spinners with a metal backplate. IT may be thinner than yours.

Is your SC 15 a new one with the blue head or the old silver head. The latter has a shorter shaft.

I had to get a special nut made for mine made from a bolt cut down and drilled and tapped.

The other option is to find a prop with a thin hub, the new Master props are not too bad. You can also look for a thinner prop washer.

The new SC 15 hasn't arrived yet (Aberdeen local holiday today) so I don't know about the head. I should have said that the engine I bought for this model (a Thunder Tiger 18) was the only small engine I could get my hands on at the time, shorter crankshaft perhaps?

May be a silly question, but why did you cross the snakes and as I've built to the drawing so far, where should they be crossed?

Thanks for taking the time to reply Peter, much appreciated.

We will have to see when the engine arrives.

I cross the snakes because that gives a better exit angle at the rear of the fuselage. Lookinh down on the fuselage the elevator servo is right up against the left side of the fusegae with the output arm pointing in. The rudder servo is in the middle with the output arm pointing to the right.The snakes cross between F-5 and f-6. The elevator snake goes over the top of the rudder servo.

Hope this helps

peter

Thanks again Peter,

It took a bit of jiggling about last night but I have the snakes routed as you specified. Looking at it again in daylight it seems I have got the angle of the rudder snake a bit wrong and am just about to attack F5 with something sharp! If I use the inboard hole on the rudder servo arm it should clear the throttle arm; you'll notice I've got the rudder & elevator arms pointing the same way.

Damn postie is missing in action!

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee181/luggins/IMG_0007.jpg

Peter   Another advantage of crossing the snakes is that you can stick 'em together halfway down the fuselage for rigidity  (as you well know)  .Funny  thing as well - I've always angled my engines  (45 degrees ) just like your good self . Everything is easier to adjust & you dont get muck everywhere or lose silencers & it seems easier to just simply  get to everything