Lipo safety bags

Eric Hartley

Hi

My 500 heli is powered via 6 cell 3300Ma Lipo and I have 6 charged up at a time.In order to speed up the charging procedure I charge them in parallel (app.45 mins).To date I have not been able to find a lipo charging safety bag that will accommodate all 6 and therefore charge them outdoors but would prefer to use the garage. Does anyone know if such a safety sack is available anywhere?

Eric, just because you can charge up at more than 1C (i.e. 2C), because you have a powerful power-supply/charger does not mean that you should, necessarily. As I am sure you are aware, it seems likely that the life of your LiPos may be significantly reduced by charging at a higher rate, especially so if they get hot. Perhaps that does not bother you. I personally would not wish to charge LiPos in my garage if I though it was likely that they would burst into flames because I was charging them at a high rate, even if my garage was empty and had a concrete ceiling (which it doesn't). A 'safety sack' will not necessarily prevent your house burning down if it has 6 X 3300mAh 6s LiPos in it!. Besides, what's your hurry?

just my 2p worth.

The original -and best - Lipo Sacks from Liposack.com do include an option for a large storage bag designed for four 6s1p5000mah packs, and a large charging bag - though IIRC it's recommended to charge one pack at a time in there. For the benefit of full disclosure, Mark Wood, the designer and producer of the real Lipo Sack from the USA is a pal of mine.

The cheap knock off silver coloured Lipo Bags have numerous videos on line showing that some of them are as much use as a chocolate fireguard in protecting against the effects of a lipo incident. They could be lulling folks into a false sense of security.

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 31/10/2015 11:43:30:

Eric, just because you can charge up at more than 1C (i.e. 2C), because you have a powerful power-supply/charger does not mean that you should, necessarily. As I am sure you are aware, it seems likely that the life of your LiPos may be significantly reduced by charging at a higher rate, especially so if they get hot.

Errr, charging from ~30% to full in 45 mins is only a 1C charge! Absolutely nothing wrong with that from a battery life perspective - if you are buying decent packs a 2C charge rate is no big deal nowadays. Things have moved on from the first lipos that had to be charged very delicately to maintain their lifespan.

Having said that (and even though I am a big fan of parallel charging) I have to agree that for such large, high voltage packs putting 6 in one bag is not a good idea, even if one of sufficient capacity can be found. A better solution would be to purchase a couple of ammo boxes and run extensions from your parallel charging board to the packs that sit inside them; I would put no more than 3 per box. Keep some large bags of sand on hand when charging too, as this is apparently the safest and easiest fire extinguisher for lithium batteries

we have a guy in our club that had one expolde in his garage ?put the fear of god up him he only flys electric , so he went and bought an ex army metal ammo box painted it red and now keeps all his lipos in it ,seems like a good idea proberbly better than these so called lipo bags thats what you want mate good enough for bullits good enough for lipos

Posted by john featherstone 1 on 31/10/2015 16:42:55:

we have a guy in our club that had one expolde in his garage ?put the fear of god up him he only flys electric , so he went and bought an ex army metal ammo box painted it red and now keeps all his lipos in it ,seems like a good idea proberbly better than these so called lipo bags thats what you want mate good enough for bullits good enough for lipos

It isn't actually better than the proper Lipo Sacks, which have the benefit of being completely portable, of controlling the release of the gases and preventing the flame front doing any damage. If your pal is using an ammo box, let him know not to seal it when charging, because the build-up of gases has been shown to pop the lid off and potentially release the flames. Likewise, other metal containers such as biscuit tins and the like have the disadvantage that, in the event of a fire, they will get very hot, and if in contact with anything inflammable, may still permit the spread of a fire.

Anyone who is using lipos and is prudent of taking some measures for safe charging can easily go to You Tube and view the various videos showing different measures for safely containing lipos whilst charging.

Posted by leccyflyer on 31/10/2015 17:10:28:
Posted by john featherstone 1 on 31/10/2015 16:42:55:

It isn't actually better than the proper Lipo Sacks, which have the benefit of being completely portable, of controlling the release of the gases and preventing the flame front doing any damage. If your pal is using an ammo box, let him know not to seal it when charging, because the build-up of gases has been shown to pop the lid off and potentially release the flames. Likewise, other metal containers such as biscuit tins and the like have the disadvantage that, in the event of a fire, they will get very hot, and if in contact with anything inflammable, may still permit the spread of a fire.

Indeed, I have seen people balance a plastic bag full of sand directly over the lid of the open ammo box, that way any fire will melt the bag and immediately release the sand onto the fire.