Hobby King Yak 73"

Rich too

image.jpg

It will be a long process (my builds always are 😀 ) but I thought I would post my build of this model. The kit came very well  packaged, and appears to be very well built (considering how much it cost), although some of the gluing leaves a lot to be desired! I will check and apply extra glue.

Since there are no Instructions (that's a first for me in nearly 40 years), so I decided to install the engine first. I tried a new method, installing the cowl first, and then the engine, making easier to centre. It worked quite well.The tail plane fitted snugly after a brief blast with the Dremel sander.

You can't beat HK models for value.

Edited By Rich2 on 07/11/2015 21:12:13

Edited By Rich2 on 07/11/2015 21:13:15

Edited By Rich2 on 07/11/2015 21:14:33

Advert

Yes, that piece of wood just fell out and the wing tube is quite weak, and very slightly damaged - I will reinforce that, and everywhere else I can find weakness.

After fitting the engine, I fitted the undercarriage to make working on the model easier. That will be followed by the tailplane and then the rudder...

Edited By Rich2 on 07/11/2015 21:20:10

Good start Rich wink. That engine and muffler look a thing of beauty. Forgive my ignorance but is it a DLE and did the muffler come with it? I am interested to see how the build goes and yes from the photos you post the airframe looks to be built pretty well. As for no instructions, it's like riding a bike you never forget how to do it!

Thanks Adrian. Yes, its the DLE 30 and a budget muffler (not DLE) - AGM? This is a complete budget build, I cannot see the point of buying a budget airframe and then filling it with expensive kit! Of course, I am looking for reliability (and safety) but all parts used come with glowing reviews from other users.

The servos (MG) for instance are all sub-£10, but they are widely used by others, and I have been using them in other airframes. I would not however, fill the Edge with the same kit. That will be treated to more well known branded items. Saying that, I always stick to Futaba receivers (I don't trust budget items!) and I have managed to get a great deal on a secondhand one for the Yak.

I have read that some of the airframes/kits that HK sell are bought from other, well known, manufacturers - they have proven to be identical in some cases. Somehow they get hold of a job lot on the cheap. Anyway, I think they fill a nice part of the market and my experience of their kit has been positive so far. yes

I should point out that one of the main downsides of buying these budget airframes, is that spares are not available from HK.

I'll try and keep up with your build wink

Edited By Rich2 on 08/11/2015 10:33:02

You're a brave man, Rich. I think alarm bells would be ringing somewhere if I was hanging that impressive looking lump on a structure that has exhibited early signs of sub-standard glueing...

My instinct would be to empty a bottle of thin cyano into the fuselage (although proper epoxy for the initial build would have been my first choice) running it into every joint. At least the design seems to use substantial tabs to hold the engine box together...

These airframes do seem to be built with very similar structures, so could well be built for different sellers by the same manufacturers although one of the recent HK airframes that was widely thought to be an exact replica of a Kyosho original did show a lot of detail differences when compared. One feature that seems common across these airframes is a less than substantial undercarriage mounting design - operated from grass strips, it seems almost inevitable that they will suffer a failure at some point with a long moment arm from the legs acting on a structure which doesn't spread loads longitudinally very effectively.

Let's hope all my gloom and doom scaremongering is misplaced - hope you enjoy many flights with it!

I totally agree, I will be going over the airframe once I have fitted the tail. The bit the came off the engine box is handy because it gives better access! Oddly, although there are areas that need glue, there are other areas that have clearly been well glued.

No Percy, I've not had problems with petrol vibrating. I never run mine in airframes with the wings off - I believe that can do more damage. It amazes me the amount of people that do it.

I have to admit the Yak is very hit and miss. I guess that's a budget plane for you! Nothing (so far) that can't easily be fixed.

Edited By Rich2 on 08/11/2015 13:59:55

Then test fit the tail - not so good...surprise looks like a slight twist in the fuselage.

img_0343.jpg

Its not that unusual. My Hanger 9 P47 was much worse. In fact, the best fit I had out of the box was a HK Cub which required no sanding at all.

Prep the tail, Dremel the fuselage to get tail level, and a cocktail stick to keep things straight whilst the glue dries.

img_0344.jpg

img_0346.jpg

img_0341.jpg

Edited By Rich2 on 08/11/2015 18:28:42

Posted by Adrian Smith 1 on 08/11/2015 19:04:42:

Good stuff there Rich you seem to be getting on apace with it. Nice looking workshop you have there. So much more tidier than mine!

Yeah, I've got some catching up to do - you've given me the motivation - thanksyes

And because of my shoulder, I can't do too much - no DIY!! wink

I'm not sure about the workshop Adrian, yours is great. And I thought it was tidy! Mine is a large loft, but its long rather than wide, so challenging when fitting wings!

Rich, my first thought would be to shave a bit off the gap where the fin is and drive a thin wedge into it to help realign it. Failing that perhaps somehow shave the underside of the fin at an angle and wedge it at 90 degs to the tailplane and main wings. Probably you would have to cut the fin post to do that and then re-attach it with glue when you are happy with the angle of the fin. I am sure some of you engineers will have a better idea though.