Cloud Models Mosquito for PSS

Steve McLaren

Posted by Steve McLaren on 23/11/2015 20:44:26:

The official answer on the wing section from Phillip Knight at Cloud models is that it is Eppler 205. Which is very good news - it sounds like I'm still on track for a PSS model.

The wings are now joined, the aileron hinges fitted (at least temporarily) and the tips sanded to their rough shape.

pb220012.jpg

The fuselage frame is also complete.

pb220014.jpg

So now it's on to the trickier tasks of making all those plastic bits fit properly.

OOh, I see mr Knight has nicked my idea for aileron torque rods.

Got the wing attached to the fuselage frame at the weekend.

pb290004.jpg

Then turned my attention to the nacelles, where I found a bit of a complication. The kit was designed around small electric motors (Speed 480s I think I read somewhere), so it's not surprising that the front of the nacelles narrow down to quite a small spinner. The front motor bulkhead as supplied is 35mm diameter. But I don't think this will look right. By my calculations, scaling from the wing span, I think a true scale spinner would be close to 65mm diameter. I found these nice rounded 70mm spinners in the local model shop, and I reckon I could trim away some of the back plate to bring them down to 65mm. But what to do about the nacelle mouldings? I'm still thinking about that - could I cut slices into the front half and flare the moulding out, and fill the gaps with balsa, or fibreglass? Or should I just chop the front off and build a conventional balsa front end?

pb290001.jpg

I have made a light ply former of the vertical shape I want to achieve on the front end of the nacelles, and a replacement front motor bulkhead.

pb290002.jpg

If I understand the kit instructions correctly, it seems to suggest making the nacelles removable from the wing, by locating them on a dowel at the leading edge of the wing, and using a small nylon bolt through the wing close to the trailing edge. But I am thinking that the lightest and strongest approach will be to permanently join the nacelles to the wing, and to use the joint between the two to provide strength to the nacelle. So I have glued the nacelle formers to the wing with PVA. I looks a pretty lightweight frame - I guess a lot of the strength required for belly landings will have to come from the plastic moulding and it's bond to the lower wing skin. But I added the diagonal braces you can see in this picture to try to improve the strength and stiffness of the frame too - not just for the landings, but also to stop me snapping the former off the leading edge whilst I'm building the rest of the nacelle.

pb300009.jpg

Some tidy work there Steve. My view is that you ditch the vac formed nacelles entirely and plank / former to your own, more scale, design. It'll be easier than trying to modify plastic and probably stand up better in the long term to the rigours of slope flying.

I'm looking forward to seeing this on the Orme, love the Mosi.

Only just seen this so am joining in. When I was reading the flow of comments, I was thinking the same about wing sections and power models.

As you know Steve I have the Skyways Models Hawk, which has is designed for a Merco 61. Everything is very large scale to cope with power and fuel. The wing section is quite thick and is semi symmetrical. It flies OK but does not cut through the air like the Jet Provost or the Alpha Jet which have much thinner sections. I really hope it works because it is a great looking model. I have given up flying it at Leek as it needs a steep cliff like the Orme.

I was just reading the Tony Nijhuis Mosquito free plan and thinking - wonder if it would PSS when I found your blog - coincidence. Will be following with interest.

The Hawk is similar - lots of plastic mouldings which are OK but need fettling with plastic tabs - have a look at my blog - **LINK**

Only just seen this so am joining in. When I was reading the flow of comments, I was thinking the same about wing sections and power models.

As you know Steve I have the Skyways Models Hawk, which has is designed for a Merco 61. Everything is very large scale to cope with power and fuel. The wing section is quite thick and is semi symmetrical. It flies OK but does not cut through the air like the Jet Provost or the Alpha Jet which have much thinner sections. I really hope it works because it is a great looking model. I have given up flying it at Leek as it needs a steep cliff like the Orme.

I was just reading the Tony Nijhuis Mosquito free plan and thinking - wonder if it would PSS when I found your blog - coincidence. Will be following with interest.

The Hawk is similar - lots of plastic mouldings which are OK but need fettling with plastic tabs - have a look at my blog - **LINK**

• 1 month later...

So, where was I before Christmas got in the way, and my workshop was commandeered as a food store?

Ah yes, nacelles.

I decided to cut slits from the front of the plastic mouldings, so that I could flare them out to meet the enlarged front former, like this:

pc130001.jpg

And then, after bonding in place with an epoxy + microfibres mix (I didn't have the recommended microballoons), and incorporating a few plastic overlap tabs as recommended by Peter above, it looks like this:

pc140005.jpg

These could be useful as extra cooling for the motors! But then I don't have motors!

I didn't bond the front ends of these strips at this stage, just in case I didn't like the shape - I would then have the option to just them off. But I have decided to go ahead with this approach and have since bonded the ends in place. I plan to add some fibreglass cloth to the inside and rebuild the full nacelle shape with slivers of 1/32nd balsa and filler. If that doesn't work, I'll just have the cut the whole lot off!

I found that the nacelle mouldings fitted very well, and trimming them to shape was easy. But it was a different story with the lower fuselage moulding. I found that there was no way it could fit to all the formers at the same time. In the end I got it to fit to all the formers except the nose former and the tail end former. Any attempt to make it fit at the ends caused the sides of the moulding to kink outwards in a sort of fold, so that it wouldn't meet the fuselage side rail. So the only thing I could think off was to cut a few slits to allow the moulding to curve more at each end.

pc140007.jpg

p1020010.jpg

p1020013.jpg

I will patch up these slits with a bit of fibreglass and filler later.

I also decided to take Andy Blackburn's advice and go with a Mk VI fighter nose, rather than the clear Mk IV bomber nose moulding supplied in the kit. I think this will be more durable for slope flying (particularly for my landings!), and it makes the whole business of fitting the balancing weight in the nose a lot easier.

p1020011.jpg

Well done for persevering with the plastic Steve. I know what a dreadful material it is to work with as it tears and rips.

As I was reading I was thinking using blue foam was a good option. Planking is a bit old fashioned.

The problem will be that if you use plastic, its benefit comes in the flexibility when impacted but with fibreglass cloth it will become stiffer again. Will be interested to see how it works. If you use just one layer however it will retain some flexibilitiy. Sounds like a good plan. Presuming you are using lightweight cloth of 25grams per metre. I would give it two or three coats of water based resin to stiffen it up.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes the plastic is proving a bit of a complication. I discovered a problem with the rear fuselage where I thought I had cut enough slits in the plastic moulding to be able to form it to shape against the light-ply frame. But after bonding, when I put a straight edge along the light-ply fuselage sides, I find that, at the tail end, where the wood sections are all very slender, the light-ply frame has distorted significantly to meet the moulding. You can see the effect here.

p1100016.jpg

Without correction, this would mess up my tailplane incidence. So I have had to add some thin tapered balsa wedges onto the tailplane seat to restore the correct tailplane incidence.

On the first nacelle I have added some fibreglass internally, and some filler externally. It's now looking like this.

p1100017.jpg

p1100018.jpg

Still rough. It needs more filler and sanding, but I think it might work.

With the tailplane and fin in place, it's now starting to look a bit like a mosquito.

p1100021.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the encouragement on working with plastic mouldings guys! I think I've just about reached the end of it this weekend.

I used the back end of the nacelle top mouldings.

p2130003.jpg

but I will build the front ends in balsa, with a hatch, just in case I ever want to add electric motors.

Then, this is the rear fuselage upper moulding going on:-

p2130001.jpg

after a bit of tidying up, it looks like this:-

p1010006.jpg

But again, I won't be using the plastic moulding for the front half of the fuselage. Instead, I will build a balsa deck which goes over the wing and takes the canopy. I'm hoping this will make the joint line at the front a bit less noticeable than in the original kit arrangement, but we shall see! This is how it looks so far, and I've run out of soft 1/2 inch balsa for now.

p1010005.jpg

Hopefully, I'll be able to find the right shape in there somewhere!

Meanwhile, here's a picture of the elevator servo installation.

p2130002.jpg

One of the down sides of working with plastic mouldings, epoxy and microfibres, is that it all tends to look a bit messy! Or maybe that's just my bad technique?

Overall, I don't think I'll go for plastic mouldings again. I can see that, done well, they could probably save some weight, but they're rather difficult and messy to work with, and I don't think they save any time in the build. But the experience has taught me to appreciate the joys of balsa sanding!