FAA Xmas Drones

Terry Mills

Advert

No doubt it has already been tried or are being used as we speak. The world is a much more dark, complex and diverse place than we like to think, at times.

Anyway . . . . . back to the discussion . . . . multi rotors being given as presents.

As long as manufacturers clearly label the boxes with the most pertinent rules and there's a leaflet included, that is all you can expect of them.

My stepson is an estate agent and he wanted to just go out and buy a multi rotor machine from eBay to help him take photos of houses and gardens, if the size warrants it. He said it would be really easy to learn to fly it!

I told him of the rules regarding flying for commercial uses, that I am aware of, and the rules for general use. The reply was similar to "Really? That's silly. It's just a toy. What damage can they do to people?"

I was really surprised that he could not see the concern and danger of flying a machine with a minimum of eight, and maybe up to sixteen, spinning blades!

I told him to google "multirotor injuries" and look at images. (Don't do it if you're squeamish face 7)  Yep, that's why you need training.

Edited By John F on 24/11/2015 13:57:05

Thanks Gonzo,I was wondering how I could do that disgust

I think everyone is loosing the plot here and using the term 'drone' to apply to multicopters only lets just remember that the armed drones used for lethal targeting are conventional fixed wing aircraft. When the politicions wake up to this we had better be prepared for a fight. Even a foamy A.R.T.F could carry a couple of pounds.

Edited By Mowerman on 24/11/2015 16:18:02

Edited By Mowerman on 24/11/2015 16:20:11

More specifics on the design; drop mechanism, weak area to direct projectiles etc available on request. Or, contact your nearest militant organisation. They are much better informed on these maters than I or any of us hobby'ists who will be subject to any/all regulations. Where as they will take no notice what so ever.

Why on this forum must every single thread on multi-rotors descend into this sort of doom and gloom scenario? It really does say something very negative about perceptions here. As soon as the phrase "multi-rotor" or "drone" is mentioned out come all the same old "Its only a matter of time....", "Think what 2 pounds of explosives can do...."

I wouldn't mind so much - but its not even the topic of the thread! Which, in case you have forgotten, is that the New York Times ran a story showing that 4,000,000 model aircraft are predicted to be sold in USA this Christmas! Er, can't we see anything positive in that? Does that not awake in anyone else the feeling that there just might be a few possibilities for our hobby in that news? Nope? Ah well I suppose its back to how they are just the harbingers of doom then,.....

BEB

PS Lots of teriorists use mobile phones - I'm off now to a mobile phone forum to make the world aware how increadably dangerous these devices are and how we're going to have a fight on our hands after Christmas given how many will be sold.

Steve, Thank you for editing my post but I'm sure those that wish to do these things need no help or guidance from me. (not sure how I broke the rules?). Also, I'm fully aware that planes(can also be called drones) could also be used, especially under pre programmed control.

In my way I was trying to point out that all these regs are pointless. To the 'bad boys' they are totally irrelevant, to the modellers they are a considerable inconvenience but to the politicians and joe public something is seen to be done.

Posted by Mowerman on 24/11/2015 16:11:34:

Thanks Gonzo,I was wondering how I could do that disgust

I think everyone is loosing the plot here and using the term 'drone' to apply to multicopters only lets just remember that the armed drones used for lethal targeting are conventional fixed wing aircraft. When the politicions wake up to this we had better be prepared for a fight. Even a foamy A.R.T.F could carry a couple of pounds.

Edited By Mowerman on 24/11/2015 16:18:02

Edited By Mowerman on 24/11/2015 16:20:11

The press are calling them drones. It is easier to say than "RPAS" and sounds sexier.

In fact all of the things that we fly as a hobby come under the term of "drone" as a drone, in the dictionary, is simply an aircraft that has no pilot and is remotely controlled but the CAA call them RPAS or UAV's.

To make things easier to understand though the CAA are using the term "drone" in their public awareness pages on their website because that is the term that is being used most widely in the public domain **LINK**

I don't think the politicians are missing anything and, to be honest, it isn't really anything to do with them but rather the intelligence and police communities, the threat of which, irrespective of whether they are fixed wing, rotary or multirotor, they are very well aware.

Anyway, Christmas. Multirotor presents - yes. Lots of them. Lots of smashed windows and chopped fingers on boxing day I would suspect! crying

Edited By John F on 24/11/2015 20:31:08

check out this little lad......sent to me via e-mail .....

Have you ever wished you could be a fly on the wall to spy on what’s going on or being said? How about being a mosquito instead!

No, this isn't a real mosquito. It's an insect spy drone for urban areas, already in production, funded by the US Government.

It can be remotely controlled and is equipped with a camera and a microphone.

It can land on you, and even has the potential to take a DNA sample or leave RFID tracking nanotechnology on your skin.

It can fly through a slightly open window, or it can attach to your clothing until you unwittingly take it into your home. It can then be guided to the top of a curtain or other invisible location where it can scope entire rooms and monitor everything being said.

Given their propensity to request macro-sized drones for surveillance, one is left with little doubt that the government has big plans for these
micro gadgets. (And to think we were worried about West Nile virus!)

new drone.jpg

ken anderson.....ne...1 drone dept.

BEB sees these devices from a perspective of user who sees a tool for a whole range of activities, which in his case has a biase as a research tool.

The sheer volume that is anticipated that will be sold in the USA suggests to me that a whole range of persons will have access to one. Some will see a toy, others see the potential as a working tool. The working tool aspect covers an incredibly wide spectrum, from filming to gain images through to delivery tool (of a wide range of items).

I can see how in the real world that such devices can not be uninvented. Can and should they be controlled as with firearms is up for debate. In many respects the control of them for undesirable uses is far more difficult. A ban on sales or controlled sales, sounds fine as a concept, yet the practicality is doubtful. Not all countries would ban or control sales. Perhaps more pertinently, the most capable of devices are often kits, where individual parts can be easily be sent by post etc or assembled from a parts bin. All the bits in essence pretty ordinary in themselves.

As for Government agencies developing the Mosquito sized devices for purposes of the battlefield or just eaves dropping, I am sure they are and have.

In many ways I am beginning to think, that for all models, rather than to keeping below 400 feet (generally much, much lower) when a helicopter or a light aeroplane flies over or close to our patches. I think we need to land, to avoid the accusations that some will invariably make, that we flew a model dangerously close to them. Just a few minutes of inconvenience, rather than becoming the centre of a exaggerated claim by some who want the sky totally to themselves, as these people will exist. At present I have the feeling of numerous witch hunts are taking place, I want to avoid us becoming victim of a witch hunting campaign.

Edited By Erfolg on 26/11/2015 11:40:04

Edited By Erfolg on 26/11/2015 11:57:37

Opened on Christmas day, crashed on boxing day, repaired a day later and by New Years Day binned and all forgotten, "waste of money and load of rubbish"

I was in BHS the other day and saw a couple of large heli's and a quad copter. I chap and his partner were talking about spending £200 on one and wanted to fly it in the house. We exchanged looks and I said that a back garden would be a little safer but watch those blades as they hurt if they hit you. He looked me up and down, huffed and walked off.

I get the feeling he thought it was a toy that would bounce if it hit him.