EDF jet build

Gary Vinten 1

Great stuff Gary yes

I'll be watching. I have found that there does not seem to be much interest in EDF models on here so it will be a change to Spitfires and petrol powered model builds.

I fly a few EDF foamies and building a balsa/ply Jet has crossed my mind a few times so you've got my interest smiley

Rosco

Hi AVC

It is a sports jet

my build was the inspiration from David Ashby in his editorial, i have the pleasure of flying with David at our local club, and he's been flying some foam edfs which look very impressive and sound quite good !!!!

As i am a balsa basher mine will be in balsa and ply then finished in the normal way

Is this of your own design Gary?

Looks very neat so far,as I've seen from a lot of your builds mainly plan ones you certainly build in that no expense spared quality with all your models! A plan for a sports jet would be great in the mag and would go down a treat I'm sure

Kind Regards

Steve smiley

Hi,

Yes I may well take some photos as I go through the build - this is my first build from a laser cut set of parts, I feel spoiled! I have just finished (well not quite but test flown) a Tony Nijhuis vampire which I built for EDF. The test flight was excellent! I have a 90mm jetfan with Het 700 1200Kv motor and it had plenty of power on 12s and good enough on 10s. The model weighed in at 16.25lb AUW.

For this build I have a Wemotec midi evo with 650 68 1340 motor which I intend to use on 8s batteries (well two 4s in series).

Maybe an odd choice but I picked it up second hand new on the BMFA for a good price. On 8s it should be around 1700Watts which I thought would be plenty of power.

Haven't decided what im going to cover this model with, either film of glass cloth. Really looking forward to starting this one, the design is really nice and the plans well drawn. I had a good chat with Shane at Weston, very nice chap and I'm sure willing to offer advise when required. I also bought the wood set for his Hunter embarrassed.

Dan

Hi,

I can see a Shane Harding on the members list so hopefully he will notice this thread.

Have you looked at the wing yet? I'm unsure about the trailing edge arrangement, it appears to be made of solid balsa but at the wing centre this would be a big chunk. The wing could have really used a cross section view on the plan.

The other thing that's not 100% clear is the 1/4" sq spars - they appear to be balsa from the grain pattern drawn but it cant see where this is confirmed.

Have you choosen retracts? The bearers appear to be the correct size for eflite 25-40 set.

Dan