World Models Spitfire 60

Tim Flyer

Hi all just thought I would start a thread for one of my winter projects a World Models Spitfire 60 powered by a Laser 80 . I decided on this particular kit partly due to the time I have available and partly because I couldn't find a similar kit build for a 80-90 4 stroke. The 80-90 size is the "sweetspot "for me in modelling with very practical running and handling requirements and construction. It had to be a four stroke for a Spitfire. I already have an OS 80 in an Acrowot (my first proper kit build for years) and an OS95v in a BH Chipmunk. I am very impressed with Nitro 4 strokes. The WM Spitfire has retracts, Flaps(not split flaps)and requires 7 servos. Its very well built and the parts are much better than on other ARTF kits I have assembled.

For the Spitfire it had to be a Laser. I was so impressed seeing one in a fellow Club members Fokker and the sound it made. Plus Lasers are built in Hemel Hempstead UK so very fitting for a Spitfire. I called up john at Laser and he was incredibly helpful and knowledgable. He even checked the plans for the plane to check I was choosing the right engine. When I visited them to pick the engine up I knew I had made a great choice. Its built like an expensive watch and almost to good to put in a plane!

Advert

Above is the modified firewall so the Exhaust and carb have sufficient clearance.(the engine will be inverted.). I epoxied two 1/8 ply stripsunder the engine bearers, continuing them right across the firewall for strength. The other Mod I made was to cut the front bulkhead inside to lower the tank nearer the wing. Laser Carbs are near the cylinder head and John warned me that if I didn't lower the tank, fuel may syphon out. I will add photo of cut out bulkhead below. I also reinforce the inside of my planes with West Systems Epoxy and glass fibre. On the engine bay I used thicker matting, but light-weight laminating matting on some of the other internal structure. I have added a max weight of 60g doing this and it is concentrated at the front end of the plane. It makes them much stronger!

Subscribed. Good subject Tim, I'm interested to know of the quality, fit and finish and your overall view when it flys. WM models are not too common on here. I would advise you seal all edges of covering with Solarfilm Clearcoat. The covering is not Oracover.

Like you Tim I believe in proper strenghtening and had thought of using fibreglass and laminating epoxy inside a model where the wood is suspect. But I also have to remember not to pile on the ounces.

Enjoy the build.

Ash

Hi Ash thanks for reply. Good to hear a fellow reinforcer smiley. The epoxy is very light. much much more so than polyester. I used to do a lot of model power boating years ago and got used to glassing. So far the World models quality seems very good. I have even used their pushrods. The hinges are metal pinned too. Agreed on the covering. That does need some ironing. The other thing to note on this model is that it needs a low profile retract servo. I used a small but powerful Futaba 8kg one. There is a guy who has posted a video of the retract installation on you tube.

Hi Timothy

I have one of these and am very pleased with it. Mine is powered by an OS 70 fs and has more than enough power. I put invasion strips on it which makes it easy to see and I also brushed over the whole model with matt varnish which sealed the edges and took the shine off the covering. The cowl is a bit big but you don't notice it in air

Glenn

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers Jack. Its coming on and I have a few updates. Thanks for encouragement too Glenn. Its good to hear it flies well. I Like your idea of the invasion stripes too, and also want to do that (I have bought the flair paint. and matt varnish). The cowl is now complete and I have put baffles in to enhance engine cooling as the Laser will be almost fully enclosed. Radio gear is in and I have also lowered the tank and changed the position of the throttle servo to suit the low laser carburettor.

Here is the cowl offered onto the engine. The retaining screws have not yet been fitted so it is not centred. I reinforced the cowl inside with light fibreglass laminate applied with West Systems epoxy. The cooling baffle can be seen from the front. I will be adding a lip on the air exit, in the centre of the cowl just to the rear of the exhaust to give a venturi effect to help hot air exit.img_1434.jpg

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 02/01/2016 23:22:15

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 02/01/2016 23:23:14

Cheers Percy. I actually also bought a longer extension silencer from John at laser just in case, I agree with you on that and I will fit it as I don't fancy having oil all over it. I'm trying to hold myself back from running the engine until its fully painted!! Happy new year to all ...Tim

• 3 weeks later...

img_1455.jpg Oh dear it looks like its winking at me!! Can you spot the dodgy roundel!
I think I will have to source alternative decals. I don't want to make them myself. Just easy stick on ones hopefully. I have spent a few hours painting on the invasion stripes with flair paint via a brush and am nearly complete. The idea with this model is to be a practical flyer rather than a scale masterpiece(I'm not up to building one that well anyway!)

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 24/01/2016 16:38:52

Welcome Mr Braddock.
Hopefully i will soon have the painting done and post photos. I have ordered new decalls from Warbirdreplicas.co.uk . These are 1:8 scale and this model is 1;7th hopefully they won't be too far out. At least they look the correct type. One downside on this model is that the covering is very glossy and the decals incorrect. I am rectifying that with the Flair matt varnish and painting the invasion stripes too. That should help orientation. The wing stripes included in the kit are not very nice in my opinion, but are easily removed. Ash and Glenn mentioned the covering coming unstuck in posts above, I have also had to stick down a number of edges.

Hi Jack good to hear from you and hope all well.

The Spitfire is moving along ok thanks. I have finished the invasion stripes, for which i used flair spectra paint on applied by brush, and must say i am happy with the result. I used blue 'high performance" masking tape from Home base and that worked well. I made sure I sanded the covering first for which i used a foam sanding sponge to get into the dips in the covering.

As in the post above I found the decals were rubbish to be honest and are just toy stickers which were non symmetrical and not even accurate in patterns. I bought a set of proper decals from warbirdreplicas.co.uk and they arrived today. Way way better quality! They arrived promptly and were absolutely perfect.

This weekend looks stormy so i will hopefully put them on the plane and then coat it in mat fuel proofer varnish (Spectra again) and post some pictures up here.

I can't wait to start the new Laser engine!

Here is a picture on it now. I am very very pleased I spent the extra on buying top quality decals from
Warbirdreplicas.co.uk
I still have not painted the matt fuelproof varnish on as i'm waiting for the yellow leading edge paint to dry, but I thought I would post an update.img_1459.jpg