Tiger Moth traditional kit

Advert

Glyn,

I recently purchased via eBay a 58" DB S&S Tiger Moth kit, however, on second thoughts I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this. I would be more than willing to swap this for the 40" DB S&S Sopwith Pup E kit. I would also include the DB balloon wheels with DH logo (£7) and the 1/6 scale pilot (£3.30) I also recently bought.

I appreciate that as a new member of the forum there will be a certain element of distrust, so to allay your fears I'm happy to send my tiggy to you for your perusal before you commit to a deal (I tend to think most people are honest and decent). Besides, if you shaft me I'm gonna rubbish you all over this forum and errr........ well that's it basically.

**LINK**

The box has a price sticker showing £95, I don't know when this dates from but the kit is laser cut.

Have a good Christmas,

Take care,

Graham

We still use Blue tape to hold strip or odd shaped parts together smiley And yes, overseas shipping is prohibitive even though I've got the cost down a bit.

Most of the kits follow a very similar construction method and the secret is not to look at the complete set of bits and wonder how they go together. Bit like a jigsaw, you only work on certain sections at a time (Cripes, a jigsaw - now there's a blast from the past). Look at the instructions for the first part of your build and focus on just those parts and that part of the plan. Once you have your parts laid out on the plan it becomes a lot less daunting. Don't glue or cut until happy and don't panic if you think it's gone wrong, very little is not rectifiable if caught soon. There are lots of photos on various build logs for most, it not all, of the models. I'll probably duck out now lest I send this off topic or look like a pushy sales person, one last note is that you're not aiming for a 100% scale reflection of a pristine off the factory line full sized plane although you can go for that if you wish. You're after a model of a plane which you can enjoy building and end up with a nice looking, fly-able model of your own making for whenever that Sun appears again. Pristine or patched up, shiny or pre-loved looking, our kits or other kits, give the building a try - it is very worth it.

Hi Richard,

As you probably know I intend to order one of your T M kits very shortly. Just wondered if you have a recommended electric power train. I have to order some bits and thought I might get those as well. Not a problem if you don't .

Cheers for now, Glyn.

Glyn, for the 58" Tiggie here's one recommended by 4 Max but I'm using an E Max GT3526/04 870 rpm/v I got from BRC Hobbies on a 4000 mAH 4S LiPo. I haven't chance to test fly it yet because of the high winds we've had since the end of October but I'm pretty sure it will be adequately powered.

I doubt if there's any significant difference in the building required for any of the DB smaller biplanes you just need more power and more covering for the bigger ones. I think there may be a jump in both skill and cost when considering the 1/4 scale ones.

Geoff

I bought the DB Tiger Moth during a bit of an eBay frenzy

It's not the actual build that's troubling me, more the size of the model. I have a 36" span Tiger Moth (I believe it to be by Protech), when I look at that and envision a model with a wingspan almost two foot larger, I think it's going to be too big for me.

I'm currently building a Peter Rake 34.5" Bristol Scout, this is my third balsa build, I find the building process to be quite therapeutic and relaxing (I've actually done more building than flying recently). I have a Peter Rake 36" span SE5a, a DLG and a Rake plan for a Pup (I've printed the plan to give a span of 38" ) in my building queue. Although to be fair the DLG looks more like an assembly and finishing job rather than what I'd call a build.

I will more than likely buy the DB Pup E in the spring as it's a much more manageable size for me. I also like WW1 bipes

Take care,

Graham

Edited By Graham Warren 3 on 24/12/2015 14:48:53

Edited By Graham Warren 3 on 24/12/2015 14:49:37

Actually, Graham, bigger models aren't harder to fly. In fact quite the reverse, they're easier and much less twitchy than smaller ones. I find 1.3 to 1.5 metre (55" to 60" ws to be a good compromise between size and ease of flying. I struggle a bit with small models and perhaps the easiest one I have is an 84" trainer I converted to electric but my 84" Maher's Thunderbird with a 26cc Zenoah petrol engine is also a bit of a pussy but a lot heavier and perhaps slightly more intimidating.

Geoff

Geoff,

As I flew rc helis from micro to 600 size for a couple of years I understand what you're saying about larger models having more of a presence in the air, and flying so much 'bigger'. I'm not saying the 58" Tiger Moth won't ever get built, but there are at least three builds in front of it in the queue.

I don't have access to a garage, workshop or shed, so building and storage of my planes has to be accommodated within my living space. Maybe it's time to rationalise my fleet and throw out a couple of foamies, or better still, stop buying kits.............yeah, like that's going to happen

Take care,

Graham

Ah, if storage and workspace is an issue then you have a point. I have a dedicated workshop with storage above (which is a bit full!) and my bigger models share the garage with our bikes and my wife's gardening stuff so that's not such a problem for me.

Which reminds me, I have some selling to do I think the Blizzard first without its Scorpion motor.

Geoff

Hi Glyn,

In the kit sections on our website, that be these here: Kits , most of the descriptions are followed by a link to the 4max page with their recommended setup for each model. Obviously you could look at their suggestion as an idea or buy their complete package so that all the brain power expenditure has already been done. It's what I'll be doing if I ever get tired of the smelly/noisy power - can't see it happening somehowsmiley

Some of them also have details of previous builders setups if I get sent them, although they may be on facebook instead. P.S. If anyone doesn't send photos because they think I must have loads, then it's true but they're also mostly in paper/scan form. Always greatly appreciated along with any relevant info or suggestions, plus permission to use them as well (credited or not, your choice - default is credited where possible). Now I really am ducking out (probably) so I'll wish everyone a very happy Christmas, my first glass of Vino will raised to all you fine folk.