Chris's Bella Ballerina HD

McG 6969

I leae a gap of about 1.5 mm but that is with a vibrating 1.c.engine. With and electric motor youshould get away with even less.

Just as a pount of interest. I am currently desigining a powered sailplane. Non scale for a .049 to .061 glow engine. Just a quickie to relax with.

And, out of the goodness of my heart it is being designed for very easy conversion to electric power. Even the battery space has been designed in.

Don't say I don't think of my fansangel

Advert

Hi to all,

Thank you for the prompt info, Peter.

So, I’ll stick to your 1,5mm as I have some scrap 1,5 ply - i.e. the base plate of a lovely Belgian goat cheese - to make a spacer to assist for the positioning of the cowl to the fuse.

Now that you are also designing for electric power & even using ‘smileys’ in your messages, there might still be some hope for a forthcoming… Stampe SR.7 design… wink

While the cowl is curing, I went on with small bits & pieces (as usual).

What could this be?

1350_turboprop_exhaust04_900.jpg

Well yes, of course, some scrap pieces of 6mm ply, cut out to support a piece of 'ovalized' cardboard (toilet roll?), a few bits of Sellotape & then filled with Silivoss.

Even if this is not another Official Bella’s Contest, the obvious question remains what it could be containing… ??? indecision

Please take note that there are absolutely NO silicone ‘leaks’ this time… angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Leak Control

Chris,

I am following your build with great interest. I must admit I found your relaxed approach to time, your attention to detail, the re-engineering of every single item and idiosyncratic humor a bit frustrating at first. However, I now see just how much fun you are having and it is infectious. I am sure that this is going to be an absolutely superb model when finished and it will certainly be unique among Ballerina examples. Of course, far more importantly, you will have had a great time and learned a lot of new techniques!

I think I will take a leaf out of your book on my next build and not set a deadline (which I never meet anyway) and just try to enjoy the process rather than looking forward to the end result.

Good work fella.

Hi Jack and welcome,

To be honest, I was a bit afraid going on reading when I saw your intro line ending with “frustrating”. Idiosyncratic simply means “unique to an individual” which can be ‘positive’ or not really. Idio is ancient Greek for "one's own", yet ‘idiosyncratic’ and ‘idiot’ are etymologically related. surprise

One thing that Einstein definitely wasn't, was an idiot, but he famously had lots of idiosyncratic habits. For example, he rarely wore socks and he talked to his cat… Lucky for me I don’t have a cat so that brings me back to The LotH’s preferred definition of “mildly autistic”… angel

Please feel free to take any ‘leaf of the book’ that you like to, especially the one “Enjoy, it’s not a race”. That said I still need to be ready in time for the GA fly-in of 2018… wink

Thank you for your nice commenting & Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Idio Control

... Whattt... !!!! ... sjeesh, Peter. And I've just been throwing some smelly old socks away... ppfff...

And don't worry, by the time you finally design that SR.7 or Monitor, I will have the experience of your IC Ballerina "worked out" to become an EP Bella... wink

But you're truly a real Summer Santa Claus to take care of your EP fans too... yes

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR EP Fans Control

Hi to all,

I've been thinking that with those 109.000 pounds stated by Peter - or let it even be euros - I could buy quite a lot of kits, PNFs, PNPs, ARFs, ARTFs (?) and even the forthcoming Taranis XJH-FTTSS 24CH transmitter (48 SBUS) and at least two TX batteries... umm...

Well right, let's stick to the 'not so expensive' Bella... In response to language control, I really couldn't use the word 'cheap' here... surprise

In my post regarding the cowl moulding, I forgot to mention that Levanter was totally right earlier with his comment concerning the silicone mould stiffness. I thought that with a wall thickness of around 15mm it would be OK, but it’s still quite ‘jelly-ish’. Not a real problem though as I just had to rebuild the Duplo Castle around it to give it the required strength. Sorry Tim, my stupid ignorance here...  blush

After curing, I finally could lift the cowl out of the mould very easily.

1377_cowl_fiber05_900.jpg

The little piece of polymer clay that I added to fill up the air bubble in the mouth did a good job in there, but as you can see there were a few bubbles trapped around the motor axle.

1373_cowl_fiber06_900.jpg

Gaston was a bit surprised by my ‘lack of expertise’ in this matter but as I told him that the center part was supposed to be cut away in any case, he felt a lot more satisfied. And so do I…  smiley

1388_cowl_fiber07_900.jpg

Next the cowl is going back into the mould as it is still too thin and absolutely needs some local reinforcement done, but I’m really ‘chuffed’ with the result so far.

By the way, nobody has an idea of the contents of the small silicone mould in the previous build post? Please don’t be that shy, gents…  wink

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Jelly Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 16/07/2016 21:26:51

Well Andy, we knew already that Peter could be 'baffling' now and then, but now he publicly announced that he also is a "part-time sadist"... surprise

To be honest that Colman's stuff leaves me a bit confused or should I say totally disconcerted. In fact I don't have a clue of its meaning... ???

One point though, if my small mould has to contain a model fuel tank, then the 'combat' sure won't take very long...

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Psychos Control

No, I didnt think you would get it but I did think one or two of your fans would.

OK, Control line combat is an event where two people fly models with paper streamers the idea being to cut your opponents streamerc. Model powered by 2.5 or 3.5 cc engine. Bouts last 5 minutes.

WE have a company called Colmanswho make mustard. They used to sell the powder in small oval tins just the shape of your mold. These tins were the best way to make combat model fuel tanks.

I know that most of your followers will say. Ah yes, exciting days.

ME? I give up.

Edited By Peter Miller on 17/07/2016 18:52:31

@ Peter > Thank you for the kind explanation & for ‘un-baffling’ me on the Colman’s thing. enlightened

If you want to have a go back to those “exciting days”, just let me know and I’ll prepare you a nice silicone mould allowing you to make a perfect glass fiber Colman’s tin replica in no time… wink

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Colman’s Control

Don't worry Chris, I didn't get it either but then again, I'm not that old and my background in rc planes is not extremely long either.

Carrying on with your build......

The cowl looks good to me. I must say that either you are a very clean worker or you do a good job of cleaning up the mess and then taking pics.
I like the cleanliness anyway so keep it up.

I guess now that I've been officially recognised as the 'weight watcher' then can I ask..... What is it weighing in at, at the moment with what you have so far?

I'm looking forwards to your wing building too.

Keep up the good work.

Rosco

Edited By Rosco on 18/07/2016 12:14:24

Posted by McG 6969 on 18/07/2016 06:42:21:

If you want to have a go back to those “exciting days”, just let me know and I’ll prepare you a nice silicone mould allowing you to make a perfect glass fiber Colman’s tin replica in no time… wink

Hakuna matata

trol

I am too old for control line these days. I have to sit down to fly them.

PS, I am not as fat as that, lots of cold weather gear on!!

millers tales 73 001.jpg

Edited By Peter Miller on 18/07/2016 12:26:54

Edited By Peter Miller on 18/07/2016 12:27:49

Hi gents,

@ Rosco > I'm fairly clean when building as I can't work without 'space' around the concerned item or part, but I also have a small 'Media Department' which is simply a grey cutting mat placed on the building board. When you see some 'mess' - like when 'un-moulding' the cowl plug - that's my workbench.

If you want to know the weight of the cowl so far, it's 14gr as shown on the picture. But if your question was concerning the Bella in general, I 've really no idea. Or maybe something tells me that I don't want to know... angel

But especially for you, when the cowl & battery hatch will be finalized, I'll put it on the scale... surprise

@ Peter > I think I'm missing something here... Shouldn't you be able to 'rotate' on yourself when flying control lines aircraft? ... Ignorance is just getting a bad habit of mine, I'm afraid... blush

@ Steven > Well I must admit that before the Colman's story , I had never heard of 'Moutarde en Poudre' or dry mustard. Never saw it in BE shops, so no clue. I try to buy the famous French 'Maille' mustard from Dijon when I can find it, but further than that... "Ignorance" again.

@ Chris > Welcome to the blog. I'm still convinced that a nice glass fiber fuel tank would be more suitable as apparently you can consider these to be a collector item...  yes

Thanks to all for your comments

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Mystery Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 18/07/2016 18:27:03

Hello again,

Before the Bella’s blog turns into a full size grocery store, I thought it was time to reveal the content of that ‘ovalised’ silicone mould thing.

In fact it simply contains the plug for the turboprop exhausts. But everybody knew that already, of course… wink

1352_turboprop_exhaust05_900.jpg

Here is a family pic with the plug and a first PU casting to the left, when I was a bit too slow (lazy?) to introduce the ply insert before the urethane started to cure. The insert is a lamination of 2 ply bits to act as mounting for the exhausts, one being a simple roundel while the buried one is a little larger and has the shape of a 3-bladed prop to avoid rotating or coming loose. Sorry, but I forgot to take some pics of that.

That first casting is still usable after clean-up, but I made a little ply strip screwed to the ply insert to bring it in more properly. A second one came then out very neatly and the third exhaust is still in the mould to fully cure.

Especially for Bella’s Weight Master, here is the picture of the cowl so far. I’m quite pleased with the 14gr result but there is a bit of a weight ‘surprise’ there that I can’t really explain. question

1383_cowl_weight01_900.jpg

Still very busy reinforcing the cowl & trying to clear up that weight ‘mystery’, so more to come…

By the way, it’s going to be more than 30°C here in BE today & nearly no wind. So happy landings to all out there… yes

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Grocery Control