Chris's Bella Ballerina HD

McG 6969

Peter is right, Chris doesn't do easy.

Chris is the kind of person that finds joy in trying to improve himself and the projects he works on on a daily basis. He loves learning new things and sharing his knowledge with others so that also other people can benefit from certain insights. Not only with this built, but basically with anything he does.

I think it is a really admirable quality, but again not always an easy road. It's a road of trial and error but in the end, most of the time he succeeds wonderfully.

You Bella is starting to look gorgeous. Can't wait to see how you complete the rest! heart

Keep on building!

LotHs of love

Edited By Iris Vieghe on 20/08/2016 06:22:49

Advert

Hi KC, Hello Peter,

I’m not only ‘guessing’ but I ‘know for sure’ that you’re totally right about the 6mm balsa, KC.

The LotH often tells me: “There must be something weird about you…” and, very obviously, she’s ALWAYS right… wink

I guess I’m just what I am. And I also ‘learned’, the hard way, to accept it & to live with myself.

As you wrote earlier, Peter… Why should one use 3 bits of wood if you can do it with 10? … blush

Note to Iris > If I ever need a personal Marketing Manager, consider yourself being hired right away… if I can afford it, of course… angel

Keep watching, more ‘weird’ stuff to come.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Mental Control

Well Peter, in that case I might be starting to look around for one of those 'thrown away' super-boxes.

And, if I'm lucky enough to discover one, I'll try to concentrate on 'thinking' outside of it... wink

Hakuna box matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Super-box Control

Hello everybody,

Not really much to post right now as the week-end had to be spent with a Lot(H) of socializing activities, but next week will hopefully show more progression. angel

1521_stab_joiner01_900.jpg

I started the horizontal tailplane and more particularly the elevator by aligning the already bevelled LE with an aluminium profile and added two balsa pieces to receive the elevator joiner and control horn.

1520_stab_joiner02_900.jpg

The central balsa trapeze (trapezium?) will be cut away when the elevator is finalized with the laminated Depron layers added to both sides and cut to shape as well.

This is getting pretty ‘conventional’ now, isn’t it? … wink

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Conventions Control

Hi to all,

Back to La Grotte to go on with the Purple Plan… yes

I’m mainly preparing foam parts and CF rods for the horizontal stab & elevator so, I’m afraid there is nothing very ‘visual’ to show at the time.

For sure the balsa bits for the elevator really had enough time to cure (!) so, I carved the slot for the elevator joiner - 2,5mm stainless as well - and had a dry fit first.

1523_stab_joiner03_900.jpg

As it seemed successful, I prepared some slow curing epoxy to bring it ‘together for eternity’ (I hope?)… well yes, The LotH & I went to a wedding party last week-end… indecision

1528_stab_joiner04_900.jpg

This is very probably the ‘ugliest’ picture I posted since the start of the Bella build… but at least the wooden bits aren’t going anywhere before the epoxy is fully cured... angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Wedding Control

I'm still here Chris, I've just been a bit busy with work and another modelling project.

Wow.....you are correct. There is dust on something at last, even if it's not a model part!

Keep it up my friend. It looks to be slowly coming together.

Rosco

Nice to still have you around, Rosco.

I meant the angle and perspective of the pic when I mentioned “ugliest”, of course… but I’ll ask The LotH for an old ‘feather duster’ for the next ‘clean’ publications… angel

“Another modelling project”? … Tell us more, please… or is it ‘classified’?

Absolutely Peter, and certainly a battery with some additional dust. I have filled some refrigerator bags with genuine ‘White Rhine Valley Sand’ as well, but I’ll keep those for the future wing sheeting… wink

1538_stab_gaston_900.jpg

Back in La Grotte, Gaston is really wondering now what the purpose is for all those large bits of Depron I’m handling around… surprise

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Dust Control

Great "winter project" indeed, Andy.

But The LotH doesn't allow me to crash in her living room... angel

And on the other hand, I already have some Depron projects in mind: an OD 1600 high wing trainer & a pusher biplane for aerial photography... or I could restore an ill balsa P-51... yes

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Project Control

Thanks for enlightening your project, Rosco.

A "Zojan"? Sounds like a perfect name for a Scandinavian mythological warrier. Good choice for a 'hybrid' warbird.

Pictures expected 'very' soon of course... devil

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Walhalla Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 24/08/2016 09:14:13

Hello everybody,

I guess I will need to have some apologies forwarded to the Purple Plan Master as I've been deserting my duty... blush

Someone must have been complaining that our summer was the wettest one since ages so now it really doesn't feel that humid anymore.

Since yesterday our lovely country is packed in an enormous plastic bag with some specifications similar to the internals of a hot air balloon or a giant microwave... frown

With a 32°C inside and not a milligram of wind at La Grotte, it wasn't really my perception of 'enjoyable modeling moments'. I only took a few photographs before even suspecting some danger for the health of The LotH's camera... surprise

Sorry for my lack of courage.

Temp matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Dog Days Control

Pffft......you guys!

I suppose I can't compare but down here in OZ, it's quite common for us to have heatwaves of 35oC+ for days on end with night time temps staying in the very high 20oC's.

What we don't get down here in South Oz is snow (there might be a morning or two up in the Adelaide foothills with some very, very light snow but it would not even compare to you guys out there, it literally melts before it hits the ground!).....

@Chris, I'd like to post a pic of my Zero project but I've not been near my home PC since I told you about it. Unfortunately I cannot post pics from my phone either (does this site have a mobile friendly version?), so you'll have to hang on fora little while longer.

I'd rather be building in the heat than cold personally!

Rosco

The same for me Peter, not even an hour I'm afraid.

I totally agree Geoff, dry heat is acceptable. Hot and damp can be terrible in my view. Ever been to Louisiana or Congo? sad

But then, the total absence of wind is the worst for me. The same temperature we had yesterday but at the seaside would 'feel' totally different.

Yep Rosco, those guys from the Ol' Continent are not 'real men' anymore... I guess it's all about acclimatization and this heat wave is really sudden.

And don't worry about the 'Zojan', I'll be very patient... angel

I'll stop being a coward then and I will have some 'baking' time in La Grotte...

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Baking Control

The real problem is that we are shivering down at 17C and a day later it is up to 34C and then a few days later it is back down to 18C. We never get a chance to acclimatise

I did a tour in Aden with the RAF. We had tine t acclimatise. So much so that it was too cold to go swimming in the cool season when the temperature got down to 27C.

The humidity was always very high. If it reached 95% the sirens would go and everyone stopped work. It never happened while I was there.

I have sen a bloke lying on a wing in the hangar and the sweat was trickling down the wing

OH, and I loved it then

Well Peter, Aden or not, I wouldn't see myself lying on a - probably aluminium - wing to have a nap, or was he working? ... cool

But I can imagine some sweat trickling down as I had a 4 hours 'purgatory' at La Grotte today.

Some result pictures of my courage will be posted tomorrow as I'm now just feeling coward again... frown

Sweat matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Heroes Control

He was working of course. We had better things to that lie on wings when we were not working.

I also remember working in the hangar. Twof us were working in an engine nacelle. I stoop up in the hacth and then said to my mate, "There is a leak here. There is fluid lying in the stringer" He replied, "That is sweat!" I ten added some more to it!

Thanks a lot, Rosco.

But from a vague memory, I thought the tailplanes of the Trojan were more 'squarish', as was the canopy of the Zero...

trojan_t-28_900.jpg

Is this the original one that you used? Together with a bit of scalpel intervention and some canopy trim lines added??? wink

Yep Peter, we all know that the man very probably told you he was 'working'... Reminds me of the guy who said he was in charge of Quality Control in a mattress manufacture... angel

Referring to my latest post and for an exactitude of communication, may I ask the readers to realize that, in a lot of more Southern and warmer countries, the word "tomorrow" nearly always means "some time later"... Thank you for understanding...

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Quality Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 27/08/2016 18:46:12

Yes. You are correct about the Trojan's tail and the Zero's canopy.

The actual Parkzone Trojan model is actually a very very good model to fly, so much so that I would even suggest that maybe you should consider one for your first taste of flight in rc!
It is a very stable and predictable model and can be flown very sedately or taken further for some aerobatics that can be thrown into the mix once comfortable with it. I didn't exactly learn to fly with mine but it has played a big part in my learning and was my 'workhorse' model that I took flying everytime. I say 'was 'because I had many 'dumb thumb' (although I'm a pincher on the sticks) moments with it, pushing it beyond my limits occasionally and it was starting to look a bit worse for wear so I figured after so many fix ups, it was time for a change. It very loosely resembled a Zero in my eye so that's why it got a Zero scheme. So to give you an answer to your observations - yes, I added some foam and removed some foam to give the tail the close resemblance to a Zero's and the canopy just has some extra lines added to it, the shape of it is still the same. I really didn't want to mess with it too much because the original model was such a great flyer. There are some other slight mods I have done but they are minor aesthetic changes and apart from turning the undercarriage from a tricycle configuration to a tail dragging one the model pretty much has stayed the same (I added flaps to it too but that was before its facelift).

Like I say, it's not a scale model but enough to look like a Zero when it's up there.

What will be completely out of the box is when I mod it put the EDF set up in it down the track!!!!

RoscoEdited By Rosco on 27/08/2016 19:57:05

... sjeesh, Rosco... I even didn't notice the taildragger config... blush

But anyway, I think I'll prefer to crash an home build birdie for my first 'airborne' attempt.

I thought I was a bit on the edge of being 'insane', but getting an EDF into that poor 'Zojan' certainly beats it up... angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Taildragger Control