Chris's Bella Ballerina HD

McG 6969

Both of what you have said Chris!

There is nothing wrong with the method as it will do the job but with the small amount of play in the hinge that is needed to keep it loose and flexible, you will notice that on the side you attach the horn and linkage, there will be a small amount of twist.

I just thought that with your meticulous building, that you might not be happy and having a solid mechanical hinge system might have satisfied your style.

It will still work, and do the job so please continue on with it. It is coming along nicely.

Rosco

Advert

Thank you both Rosco & Andy.

To be honest, I was a bit afraid running right into a 'disaster' with the Blenderm hinge... surprise

Thank you for the "meticulous" compliment, Rosco... but as The LotH says, I'm only "mildly autistic" so I can even live with the 'not that meticulous' aspect of things. But you're right, this method wouldn't be the best at all for a more 'scale' project, but as I went for the 'learning curve' again, I decided to try out the tape method as well. Rudder will be 'pin hinged' and I might try some CA hinges for the ailerons. But let's stick to the tailplanes and their respective covering for now.

Thank you for still being there & commenting, Andy. I just try my best so far... angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Quality2 Control

Thank you for visiting, John.

Well, I was convinced it was some kind of 'special official command' for rookies, so I had no other choice than to obey... wink

Now, next step to really get ahead is to succeed with checking if it is all 'aligned' and 'square'.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Square Control

Thank you, guys.

@ John & Rosco > I guess I should feel a tiny bit ridiculous now as I answered ‘literally’, not ‘seeing’ that there was/could be a “joke” of some kind involved… blush

As I said, my BE English isn’t that great at all. Or should I have seen some ‘frivolity’ hidden between your brackets, John? angel

@ Peter > I was just joking with the ‘intended pun’ issued by John. And don’t worry, I’m really trying to keep the tail end ‘very’ light.

@ Simon > Please, don’t assume that my building skills are comparable to yours.

@ Onetenor > Bonjour & merci for the very kind words.

With a time consuming combination of shopping/household duties and other social obligatory presence, I couldn’t have a decent moment for myself at La Grotte this week-end. I just made a large to-do-list and a few drawings/sketches for jigs, templates, CoG stand build, motor test bench build, etc… needed for the duties to come.

I never thought modelling would be assimilated to volunteering for a monastery life… wink

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Abbey Control

Chris re colouring a white led red If you can still get it Raleigh 's Tartan red touch up is perfect for the job . It is a clear red that was made to go over a gold base colour. We used it to re colour faded tail light lenses Worked a treat Or you can get lens colourig paints too I believe. Loving the thread Bon Chance mob ami

John

Chris re colouring a white led red If you can still get it Raleigh 's Tartan red touch up is perfect for the job . It is a clear red that was made to go over a gold base colour. We used it to re colour faded tail light lenses Worked a treat Or you can get lens colourig paints too I believe. Loving the thread Bon Chance mob ami

John

Thank you, gents.

@ John > Thanks for the tip. If I remember well, Raleigh was (is?) a bicycle manufacturer, isn't it? I have some glass paints - although more like 'Burgundy' (no pun intended) - but also some red Chinese ink. I'll have a test with them (on the LED, I mean).

@ "Joking" John > If you remember - very early on my build - the Musketeers told me it was not a 'race'... wink

But now, I'm really wondering what kind of comments I will receive when I start building the wing and describing the shape of Bella's tips... I might go for 'winglets' instead avoiding this build blog to be Modded... angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR CoC Control

... ooh, no... please, Danny,

Since I studied graphical arts, I've been canvas painting for years and accumulated a huge collection of cellulose, acrylic or oil and 'other' paints.

But if I compare that amount to The LotH's nail polish collection, I could easily be feeling like another 'rookie'...  blush

For the sake of humankind's progression, I'll ask her gently to contribute...  wink

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Nail Polish Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 13/09/2016 21:32:12

Hi gents,

Back to La Grotte for some Bella time although there isn’t anything spectacular to show.

I tought I should check for the alignment of the tailplanes before anything next.

As I don’t have the main wing yet, I tried Lucas’s method of alignment control. First fixing a pin at the top centreline of F1 and using a string to check the vertical fin. Check & OK for service.

1588_stab_square_900.jpg

Next, I fixed an aluminium ‘U’-shaped profile to the wing mounting to control the distance to both ends of the elevator LE. Check & I must be really lucky this time as again it’s OK for duty.

1590_stabfin_square_900.jpg

At last, I used a laser leveler to check for the tailplanes being square as you can(’t) see in the above picture. A vertical ‘dark’ line can be spotted at the bottom of the fin if you are able to look VERY closely, but the horizontal beam at the elevator hinge totally disappears by reflection as I couldn’t get it darker in La Grotte. Sorry for that, but it all came out the pleasant way… yes except maybe for the 30° temperature in the workshop...

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Laser Control

Hello again,

With the tailplanes checked, I finally could go on with more enjoyable duties like starting to cover the stab and elevator. As I wrote earlier these are done with printing adhesive vinyl which you can iron down as well after the piece is completed. The horizontal planes are ready but not ironed yet.

11597_tailplane_covering_900.jpg

I’m not so sure yet if I’m going to keep the Blenderm hinges as Rosco could be right about some ‘parasite behaviour’. So, I’ll wait till the ‘electronics’ are done and tested before taking a decision. smiley

Regarding the fin and rudder, only the LEs & TEs were pre-covered as the flat surfaces will be receiving a ‘full’ printed vinyl which is not ready yet. I’m a little afraid that Roger, my sign-man, is thinking right now that I’m even more ‘autistic’ than The LotH ever pretended… angel

1602_fin_led_900.jpg

Concerning that latter mental insanity, I discovered that a simple 5mm O-ring could also give a bit of a finishing touch to the LED.

Note to myself: don’t forget the fifty shades of red for that flashing device … blush

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Covering Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 15/09/2016 19:13:55

Hi gents,

I've visited your Kitehawk build, Peter. The same iron on film concept was used on the Graupner glider - with an AUW of 1100gr - from which I took the 'dismantable' tail idea.

But as the Blenderm is even stronger, maybe ironing-on film wouldn't be compatible with the Bella's weight?

Thank you so much for the nice words, Simon. blush

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Film Control

Hi everybody,

The next step was to hinge the rudder to the tailplane. I had been reading about so many warnings concerning gluing the hinge line ‘all together’ that I was somehow afraid to start it.

I measured and cut a groove for each hinge on both surfaces, drilled a 1,5mm hole in the middle for improved glue penetration, then protected the covered parts with masking tape and the hinge line with release agent on a tooth pick… Just a bit amazed how easy this was…

1605_rudder_hinges_900.jpg

With my subtle idea to make the tailplanes removable, the other ‘minimal’ problem was the bottom hinge fixing the rudder to the fuselage. That had to be ‘removable’ as well, of course. “No problem, Your Honour”, said Gaston loud and clear…

1606_rudder_hinge_900.jpg

I removed the standard pin and replaced it by a fully optional new one. I took a small length of soft steel, had a ‘curly loop’ bend at the bottom together with a vertical 90° one. Adding a small washer with a blob of epoxy at the bottom will do the job. As the back end bottom of the fuse only consists of foam & balsa, I inserted/glued a small length of nozzle ‘tube’ - WD40 like - for the screw to tap in neatly.

If I was born somewhere on the other side of the Channel, I could have said now:

“Jobs a good un, me thinks”…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR WD40 Control