Which bird ????

Mattb5m

Advert

For the E-Pioneer I can recommend the following set up

3S 3000-4000 Lipo

Tunigy D3536/6 !250Kv Motor **LINK**

50 Amp ESC

12x6 APC Electric Prop

When you get used to it and get a bit more confident you can use a 4S Lipo for a more lively performace

Its pretty easy to assemble..... its not a build just an assembly, if you get one I can photo any bits your not sure of

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 07/01/2016 17:17:49:

3S 3000-4000 Lipo

50 Amp ESC

12x6 APC Electric Prop

When you get used to it and get a bit more confident you can use a 4S Lipo for a more lively performace

Its pretty easy to assemble..... its not a build just an assembly, if you get one I can photo any bits your not sure of

Just to add that you will probably need to change the prop for a smaller one if you switched to a 4S battery....going up a cell without changing the prop will undoubtedly give you a more lively performance.....until the "magic smoke" escapes....wink 2

Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 07/01/2016 19:32:57:
Posted by Dave Hopkin on 07/01/2016 17:17:49:

3S 3000-4000 Lipo

50 Amp ESC

12x6 APC Electric Prop

Just to add that you will probably need to change the prop for a smaller one if you switched to a 4S battery....going up a cell without changing the prop will undoubtedly give you a more lively performance.....until the "magic smoke" escapes....wink 2

In most cases I would agree, but in that set up the motor and ESC can take the extra current drawn - though as you say downsizing the prop will change very lively into lively!!!!

Been looking at the e pioneer tonight on interweb seems to be my favourite at moment , am I right saying the fuselage is a ply covered box ?

Where would be cheapest place to get a 6 channel transmitter from ?

What other parts would I need ? Got in my head motor , reciever , esc , 3cell battery . Anything else like consumables?

Servos what ones will I need for each control ?

No a ply box would be far to heavy! Its lite ply and balsa, forwards of the wing trailing edge its mostly a double layer of 1,5mm Lite ply - aft of that its a open balsa structure with longerons and formers the whole lot is covered with shrink film

I guess one of the cheapest XT would be a DX6 round about £120 from Kings Lynn Models or Wheelspin Models BUT please check with your club BEFORE buying that they can buddy up to it!

I'll fish the Pioneer out of the shed tomorrow and do some pics of it (plus half of our field its got on it!) and give you a shopping list servos motor esc etc

That would be brilliant Dave a shopping list with what model of parts would be most helpful!... Found my local club going to send them an email shortly .

Can't do everything all at once restrict weather and budget but will get the ball rolling so when we have the decent weather here I will hopefully have a bird to start learning with !

No not at all ! Always wanted to fly model ever since was a kid . Into rc cars but was thinking getting into racing them but when saw membership to brca then the club then £10 per race it's starting too add up ... Don't mind membership to club and brca. But £10 a race imagine what that would add up to over a year ! Or is it me reading wrong ? I guess with flying once paid club and insurance you don't have to pay to fly ?

Matt

As I guessed but could break a car as well fairly easy ! If or when I have a crash and end up damaging an e pioneer how are they repaired ? Can you buy wings and fuselages on there own or is it possible to repair this model with balsa and glue etc ?

Matt

Posted by Mattb5m on 08/01/2016 00:12:53:

As I guessed but could break a car as well fairly easy ! If or when I have a crash and end up damaging an e pioneer how are they repaired ? Can you buy wings and fuselages on there own or is it possible to repair this model with balsa and glue etc ?

Matt

You can in theory buy spares for the e-pioneer but try getting hold of em!

As its balsa/ply it can be repaired (depends on how you crash it of course!) But they are built to fly not crash, that why you should learn on a buddy lead so the instructor can grab control and recover the aircraft safely (mostly)

BUT with any instructor is on a "best efforts basis" but he cant be held responsible for a crash, its your plane and you take responsibility for it, with rc flying if you dont want to crash dont take off!! We never stop crashing, just the time between crashes gets longer!

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 08/01/2016 00:24:18

So your saying someone could be flying for 20 years and spent a lot on building a nice model and one day just crash for some reason . Bet it annoys you when cost £100's to build and the time but guess part of the hobby is the building and maintaining?

But when do crash with the e pioneer it's not a great deal for another kit , just strip out all of the bits .

Matt

Hi Matt
Reading your previous posts I see you are still trying to choose a Tx to buy. If I am reading in to it right, it seems that you are maybe looking at a 6 ch Tx but would prefer 7 plus ch but im guessing that the extra channels get you out of your budget. Have you considered a Turnigy 9xr from Hobbyking? It has 8 ch and can be used with different 2.4 ghz protocols eg, spectrum, futaba, frsky etc as you just buy the rf module that suits. It also will buddy up to spectrum and futaba txs. It only costs about 60 to 70 gbp with the rf module and a 2200mah lipo. I have one of these since 2 years and had no problems with it. Its not the best looking set but if you can live with that then its a really flexible set that uses the open tx software like the taranis set. Might take a little learning with the channel mixes etc but if you dont mind fiddling around and experimenting you will find it a really useful set and at the price its cheap enough to change further down the line if you discover another make you prefer.
Hope that helps!

Posted by Mattb5m on 08/01/2016 00:28:38:

So your saying someone could be flying for 20 years and spent a lot on building a nice model and one day just crash for some reason . Bet it annoys you when cost £100's to build and the time but guess part of the hobby is the building and maintaining?

But when do crash with the e pioneer it's not a great deal for another kit , just strip out all of the bits .

Matt

Hi Matt. I always say that the only modeler that doesn't break models is that one who doesn't fly them... We always break, and we'll always do

The E-Pioneer, if crashed, should not be difficult to repair (depending on the crash). You don't have plans with ARFs but it's quite easy to rebuild them, in the end a trainer is a trainer, and they all look quite similar

Well, again I would not recommend them. They are great and beautiful but they have some bad habits that make them not too suitable as second models. One of them is their "ability" to screw in a deep spin when the wing stalls. Also, for landings you have to fly then up to the end. They are also more sensitive to wind and gusts, and the power requirements are higher (more expensive) than a monoplane of similar wingspan (the drag is much higher than in monoplanes).

I would recommend to follow the "standard" process: trainer followed by a low wing sport trainer. Once you've mastered it, you can start considering warbirds, scale, biplanes etc...

That's at least my opinion, what other members think?