Which bird ????

Mattb5m

Advert

Posted by Matthew Read on 07/01/2016 09:59:41:

started a discussion on plane and equipment possibilities instead of the newbie topic .

Will be getting a sim when my laptop fixed . Have been looking at the recomded surpliers on here and came across this type of bird ...

**LINK**

What are people's opinions with the stability control ?

Re the HobbyZone Sport Cub with SAFE Technology BNF shown in your link there are two threads on here with a bit of discussion on that. Just do a search for "Sport Cub"

The stabilised models can be helpful but be aware that a model like that will struggle in anything other than flat calm conditions. I flew an eflite apprentice with the stabilisation on and it was awful, in the wind it couldnt cope at all and i found it very unnerving that i could hold all of the controls over and nothing happened and the software overrode my commands. In this condition you would learn nothing useful so it was best turned down to the next setting where it made little difference to the performance of the model. Models with stabilisation are also not permitted for use when taking the BMFA A or B tests irrespective of how ineffective it may or may not be.

I have taught people to fly for over 15 years and while somewhat old school i still maintain that being taught at a club with a 40 size trainer, either ic or electric powered is the best way to go.

If you would rather go it alone then try not to buy something all in one box as they tend to have a very limited upgrade potential and you will need to new transmitter/batteries etc as soon as you move on to the next model.

Posted by Matthew Read on 07/01/2016 11:16:36:

I think would be better if was to learn the traditional way with no stability control to learn the skills needed in a situation instead of just flicking a switch .

You've answered yourself wink

I think that those stability toys are ok for some very specific models, but I don't think it's a good idea to learn with them. On the other hand, it's true that there are some gadgets out there that allow you control on one or some surfaces, while the "toy" looks after the rest. In any case, I'd rather the traditional way, with a buddy cable (I learnt without it, btw, using the traditional system of passing the radio to the instructor when in panic...)

In terms of the best trainer, such thing does not exists, but I would dismiss anything below 53-56" span and 1.6-2 kg weight (and if you could afford something above 70", much better.

Out of the three options in your last post, I would take the Chapter One, Bear in mind that you will have to build it (it's an RCM&E plan), but if your plan is to start with the sim, you can build it in parallel, and develop two skills at the same time!

I have noticed in our club we have a number of flyers who have learned with Bixlers,Easystars,Funcubs,ect.

However it seems that those flyers are then reluctant to move on to larger more conventional models. Has anyone else noticed this?

Of the foam type trainers I think the multiplex Mentor is a better type.

I would prefer a balsa type of plane ideally to be more conventional type and with a bit of weight for when winds pick up ... All I keep finding on trainers in foam types mainly .

Just to recap what looking for in a trainer ...

Balsa wood construction , electric powered , wingspan around 70" , easy to fly but not outgrow too quickly while learning a few stunts etc . 

Is this fesable specs for a trainer and my 1st plane as would like to eventually be flying warbirds or bi planes 

Edited By Matthew Read on 07/01/2016 12:32:49

Matthew, as you correctly say, a 70" will be more stable in flight, but anything between 56 and 70 will be ok.

If you want something around the 70", easy to build (as long as you want build it) and easy to fly, the first name that comes to my mind is Telemaster. Have a look to this thread, I think that David Davis can provide with copies of the 72". It was originally designed for glow but it has to be dead easy to cover to electric (I guess, I'm not into the amps too much...).

The E-pionner is also a good option, as Dave suggested, and there are plenty out there in the range of 50-60 inches, which are excellent options as well.

My first trainer was a 59" 3 channel, with a .15 glow, and after the first attempt on my own, and the subsequence four or five months of "recovery", it flew really well.

Mathew:

Starting with a plan or a kit, means its going to be a fair while before you are in a position to fly, and with any self build there is a risk that it doesn't fly well or even at all....

Better IMO to start with an ARF so you know the plane flies and that the motor set up is tried and tested, so once the plane is trimmed out by an experienced pilot you are starting from the best platform - while you are learning to fly you can be building as well (god knows with the British Weather you will have time!)

The other advantage of a ARF is that there is a small amount of work to do to prepare it, for an experienced person an E-Pioneer should take about 90 mins to set up, so allow yourself 3 or 4 hours and read the instructions! But in that assembly time you will see how hinges are set, clevis and horns are laid out and how servos can be mounted etc etc - all of which will stand you in good stead for self builds

If you do go for a E-Pioneer I can give you a good power train set up for it