Motor for a Phoenix 2000

David Hall 9

I just bought my first kit. It seemed like a good deal to buy the electric glider kit without motor/esc and maybe use it for sloping.

But since, I've seen some nice videos of the Phoenix 2000 flying on power and think that I might like to do this too.

The motor that would come with the more complete kit is described as a 4010/850Kv with 30A ESC on 11.1v LiPo battery. The seller of the kit has no motors like this. What could be a good alternative?

I've bought a 3536/08 1050Kv 440W motor. Could this be enough?

Dave

Advert

Hello Dave,

There is a dedicated Phoenix 2000 blog around here w/ a lot of useful info.

The powered glider was build by Volantex (www.volantexrc.com), so probably some power details to find there as well. You can use the motor of their Raptor V2 (the newest 'grey' version) as it is identical.

IIRC, Hobbyking sells the 2000 too. Maybe they have some spare parts.

Happy powergliding

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Power Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 14/01/2016 09:09:57

Hi David.

The supplied motor is an 'bell' type outrunner that yep - spins inside the fuse. I have had a couple of these now and love em to bits, great flyers (with a couple of tweeks) and cheap as chips. I have kept the standard motors in mine with a decent prop and they get them up quick enough for me.

I might have a spare one knocking around in a fuselage somewhere, and will have a look in the morning if you want something cheap and cheerful and are interested.

Cheers, Simon

Sounds like the supplied motor has changed a few times over the lifetime of the model. I used a 28mm outrunner as that was what was suggested at the time but others have used 35mm motors without any great issues. You just have to be careful to keep the motor wires away from the motor casing so they don't get damaged. You will probably have to drill some holes in the mounting plates for the motor as well. Fine flying model. I've used it for slope soaring and off the flat and it goes well. One thing it doesn't stand up well to is having someone (me!) fall on top of it. I'm on my second wing and I haven't really flown it all that much yet.embarrassed

I scrapped the ridiculously heavy Volantex motor that came prefitted in my phoenix 2000. I fitted a Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 2830-920kv motor which weighs only 57g instead of the140g original. That sorted out the nose heavy problem. I am using the same prop that came with the model and 1000mah -1500mah cells. The model is so much lighter as a result and flys much better too with balance at the correct place

David O, that's the same motor as I'm using but with 2200mAh cells. I had to extend the battery tray and push the pack well back to get the balance right. I have some 1500 cells to try when I get the chance. It still seems to fly well with the bigger battery but I think the smaller battery would be the ideal setup.

David H, compared to the 2830, the 3536 motor will add about 50g (2oz) at the nose, so a lighter battery pack would make it easier to get the balance right.

Posted by Simon B on 15/01/2016 12:53:49:

I know you've already got one, but I used one of these, which are good because of the way they route the wires out of the back:

Link

Those out-runners in a can together with very neat rear connection are a good solution to the tight space in a glider nose but I think this one might be better suited to the Phoenix 2k being more than powerful enough and a bit lighter.

Geoff