Beginning to fly rc sim

Mattb5m

hello all . After been adviced to start with a rc sim I have gone and got a spektrum dx6i and a Phoenix sim . All set up and working .

I am finding it quite hard to fly when use ailerons to turn the plane starts to fall before completing the turn , so have to stop using ailerons and use rudder to increase altitude is this normal ? Any hints or tips would be good . Only used it for half hour last night .

Also I'm using on a laptop and find the plane easily disappears into distance and not bit akward to see , would be easier if linked to a bigger screen like my 32" tv ?

Cheers

Advert

When using ailerons to turn it is normal to use a little up elevator at the same time to maintain height and pull through the turn, hence the expression "bank and yank". It is also quite normal to use the rudder at the same time but whether you need to and how much is needed depends on the model.

As you get used to controlling the model you tend to stop thinking which controls to use, how much and when and just do it, much like driving a car. Which model are you practicing on in Phoenix ?

That makes sense . But seems to disappear quick ! Once I'm in air back throttle to just over half , I can't recall which model but it's a high wing trainer . Which one is recommended ? I'm using a older version of Phoenix . 5 I think .

Been offered software for real flight too .

Cheers

Great so make turn with ailerons and slight elevator both at same time and after a turn leval the plane up ?

Think this is why its disappearing into distance as still leaning to left or right . But I didn't feel the plane was turn quickly enough or couldn't see big enough being on a laptop screen ...

Change the VIEW on settings Matt, to include the ground and follow your model

As you found, ailerons alone will not maintain height in the turn

Use the elevator during the turn, to maintain height and sometimes to tighten the turn

Dial up a highwinger like a CUB, to liven things up

Do not get involved with expo at this stage

Expo takes out any chance of you learning a routine flared out landing

And always WARN your instructor if there is EXPO anywhere dialed in to your TX

As it can be quite a surprise to pull a stick and nothing happens

On any sort of trainer plane expo or dual rates is not required. It just add another layer to worry about.

Flying is learning an eye/finger coordination. It is not a natural ability for humans so you have to practise. As you get better what happens is you begin to recognise the required stick movement without having to think.

It then become surprisingly easy and natural - honestly! - so keep at it!

Rates simply reduce the amount of movement made by the control surface - so calming down the responses to control inputs

Expo makes the central part of the stick movement far less sensitive but much more sensitive at the far ends of travel

Learn to fly using very small control inputs - "imagine you are caressing a beautiful woman not strangling a gorilla"

(Services phrase sanitisied to spare the mods blushes)

Pick any of the trainers on Phoenix they are all fine to learn the basics on......

As someone said change the view to keep the ground in view it helps a great deal and is more like like anyway

If you are loosing it in the distance then shorten the legs of your circuits to keep the model in closer, feed in a little up elevator as you enter the bank to keep the nose up in the turn - as Simon said, it will soon become like changing gear in a car - you do it but dont really think about it

Posted by Mattb5m on 17/01/2016 17:26:00:

Think this is why its disappearing into distance as still leaning to left or right . But I didn't feel the plane was turn quickly enough or couldn't see big enough being on a laptop screen ...

If you look into the view menu there is an option to select binoculars. This puts a close up view of the 'plane in a pop up box on the screen. I find this very useful as you can see the attitude of the model even if it's just a speck in the sky on the main screen.

Kim

Posted by Kim Taylor on 22/01/2016 10:35:43:
Posted by Mattb5m on 17/01/2016 17:26:00:

If you look into the view menu there is an option to select binoculars. This puts a close up view of the 'plane in a pop up box on the screen. I find this very useful as you can see the attitude of the model even if it's just a speck in the sky on the main screen.

Kim

I would advise against using this if we are trying to use the SIM as a pre-flight training tool, you wont be in a position to use Bino's at the field so you will have to maintain the orientation picture with MK1 Eyeball - if you need bino's to see the plane, you are flying too far out, tighten the circuits and keep closer!

This thread has taught me one or two things though I still don't know what "expo" or "dual rates" mean! Reminds me to have another go with Phoenix, which I got ages ago. At first it seemed to work and I was getting the hang of things; subsequently, following various updates, change of OS and so on, Phoenix has gone bananas. Everything seems to work the wrong way round, or not at all. I just crash straight away.

Re-load the program? Or what?

rgds Tony

Try this before you wipe and reinstall the Pheonix Tony

Everthing off, Computer and TX OFF

Plug in TX and USB to Computer

Put the Pheonix Disc in the tray, in the Computer ready to load

Switch on the Computer

The TX will light up by itself, even though it is switched off

This should work.

If not, wipe the Programme with no disc in, and do a " clean up" from your accessories.

Re install the Pheonix and start at top of page again