Xt60 connector convention

Geoff S

Advert

• 3 weeks later...

I've now mostly converted to XT60 connectors. The nylon shells are excellent and seem to be very resistant to heat unlike some connectors I've used. The main problem is that some batteries I have, have wire almost too thick to go into the connector solder buckets and I had to pre-shrink the sleeving exactly to fit into the groove round the solder buckets. My 60 watt temperature controlled iron set to 450 deg C coped well with all the soldering. In all, it wasn't too traumatic.

Now, has anyone used these panel mounting holders? How did you fix the plug into the holder? I'm thinking glue but which one? cyano? epoxy? uhu por? I'd prefer a mechanical fix but there isn't enough meat in the XT60 shell to drill a 2mm hole right though safely. Are there any better holders I haven't yet found?

Geoff

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 09/02/2016 17:14:16:

Now, has anyone used these panel mounting holders? How did you fix the plug into the holder? I'm thinking glue but which one? cyano? epoxy? uhu por? I'd prefer a mechanical fix but there isn't enough meat in the XT60 shell to drill a 2mm hole right though safely. Are there any better holders I haven't yet found?

Geoff

Big sigh! crying

Obviously someone does not regularly get RCME. Check out December's edition, and the letters page in the Feb 16 edition which relates to some of the dialogue in this topic.

I don't buy the magazine regularly, at least the paper version, but I have tried a digital subscription in an effort to keep the shelves in my study cum workshop a little clearer. Funnily enough however I have 2 copies of last December's issue because I'm building a Ballerina (electric ) and thought I'd thrown out the magazine amongst a load of others I'd sent to recycling. After I'd bought a second copy the original showed up.

Certainly, the panel mounted XT60 is illustrated but no mention of how you fix the connector firmly inside the holder. It needs to be able to resist both being pushed inside and pulled out as you fit and remove it's mate. There are no instructions so I'm not sure how it's intended to be applied.

Geoff

I'm intending to use the panel mounted XT60 as the main battery connection not as an arming plug. When all I need to do is lift a panel to connect the battery I don't see the point of an arming plug which would be under the same panel. In fact, in most case, I see no need for anything more than the main battery connector if it's easily accessible. I connect the battery, do pre-flight checks and fly. I have a throttle disable switch on my transmitter (Taranis) which gives an audible message if it's on or off.

Geoff