Belated Ballerina

Oops No.2

When I fitted the undercarriage mounting assembly I inadvertently knocked R1 and R1a (I think it is) off square which I didn't notice until the following evening !dsc00311 (small).jpg

Don't know if you can see from the photo but to compensate I applied the "Tactical Sanding" approach to the outer of R1 which probably resulted in taking about 1/32 off the top edge and feathering down, the same approach on the bottom of the Beech block to make sure the surfaces meet well for the epoxy - do you think this will a decent enough fix ?

Posted by Whatgoesup.... on 29/01/2016 11:07:56:

When I made the ribs I obviously didn't taper the rear to a fine enough point. As a result the 1/8 x 3/8 TE was too thin to make a decnt joint leaving a large step where it attached. To compensate I went up a size to 3/16 x 1/2 TE which fits perfect but the wing is now slightly deeper.

So would it be best to trim the TE back or just leave it and make the tip slightly bigger too ?

Just plane or sand it back a bit.. A case of cut and try and get it to look reasonable.

John / Peter,

Thanks for the reassurance, I think I'll crack on with the second wing for now and give the trailing edge a good sand and trim to get it nearer the original profile when they're complete - I hadn't thought ahead to how the wing would sit under the fuselage - obvious now you mention it !

So hopefully by the end of February I'll have a pair of wings !! Purple Power fist

Posted by Peter Miller on 29/01/2016 11:26:12:

Very few of my ribs are perfectly vertical! I can also tell you that the distance between them varies slightly.

I am just as bad. You can always tell when you come to fit the webs - measure 1 and cut a long strip and I guarantee that 95% of the webs will be either too narrow or too wide. I always cut the web strip too wide and then trim back to fit for each gap

M