Balsa bashing

Jon H

Well with one eye on the Le Mans. F1 and British touring cars over the weekend I have made some good progress on the Yak. Going on the sentiment that a picture says a 1000 words some lovely pictures of progress to date.

The first few show the progression of the retract install. Took some time but overall it all went fairly smoothly but, partly due to using Oleo’s instead of Piano Wire for the legs the Oleos will protrude above the bottom wing surface. I think this is also due to the forward rake as well as when in the wheel wells the wheels do twist forward into the shallow part of the front of the wing. Brian has also had the same outcome and his flies absolutely fine so I’m not concerned!

img_20160618_164929458.jpg

img_20160618_164615265.jpg

img_20160618_164626167.jpg

img_20160619_180026909.jpg

img_20160619_180058957.jpg

img_20160619_180128818.jpg

The mounting bolts/posts for the main wing are now all in place and the balsa blocks behind the fire wall have now been glued in place and basic shaping of the front has started. It’s starting to look like a plane!

img_20160619_184450730.jpg

img_20160619_185013531.jpg

At this point the major ‘mechanical’ parts have now been done. The next steps is to start doing some serious sanding, especially on the main wing. I will also be fibre-glassing the bottoms of the wheel wells as all foam to the skin has been removed, and will do the same in the servo pockets to add back some strength. At the same time I will put the fibreglass band around the central wing joint.

Hopefully not too far off………………………

• 3 weeks later...
Advert

I have been so busy lately that I have totally forgotten about updating the thread!

Anyway, more painting all round as you can see in the photos. Not 100% perfect but I am happy with it. I also had trouble with the upper wing decals as I applied them too soon after painting and after a while they started bubbling up and going all nasty. I think the paint fumes reacted badly with them anyway, new ones will land tomorrow and I will reapply them

dsc_0167[1].jpg

dsc_0168[1].jpg

Hi Geoff

The green was from a 'dark green camouflage paint' spray can from halfords. It was a punt but worked out well. I wouldnt recommend it though as its a very expensive way to paint it. The two tins cost 15 quid vs the 3 quid for the 2 tins of Humbrol 29 dark earth that i used for the brown.

I do prefer the colour of the halfords stuff to the technically correct Humbrol 30 Dark green and think it looks more accurate on a model this size. In future i will use Humbrol 66 Olive Drab in place of the Halfords cans as the colour is almost identical.

The only snag will all of this is getting a fuel proofer over the top. I use Mr Epoxy matt clear from Mick Reeves but it is a total nightmare to use. You also have to thin in with cellulose so have to be really careful when spraying it over enamel.

Yes Guy . A quick brushed on coat of dope or sanding sealer that has been thinned with about 40-50% cellulose thinners. That seals the paper and youre ready to primer . I used halfords acrylic for ease but its pricey .

It does seem to have an element of fuel proof as a last line of defence !

All the best

Richard

Well since around Friday / Saturday if I haven’t been at work or sleeping I have been working on the YAK.

So a quick update on progress to date.

Filler was applied around the servo boxes and on the flaps to level out to the wing surfaces. The fairings were also glued in place. Time wise I haven’t gone for the more scale approach at the front of the fairing like Brian had but am quite happy with how mine have turned out.

img_20160709_242924375.jpg

The whole wing was sanded to shape and the fairing at the rear of the wing on the fuselage side built up to give a nice blended look to the fairings.

img_20160711_240925158.jpg

As I had left the ailerons attached I predrill the holes for the hinges and to aid this made up a small jig to ensure (theoretically) the holes would be at the right angle and position, I did a couple of trial pieces and the plan seems to work! The jig itself was made from some carbon tube (ID of 3mm) sandwiched between to pieces of balsa at a 45degree angle. With ‘lining up’ marks on the outside it held the drill at the correct angle and position – this is for the Robart pin type hinge.

img_20160709_095812126.jpg

img_20160709_100420882.jpg

img_20160709_165820594.jpg

Once the holes were drilled into the main wing and aileron, the aileron was then cut free from the wing itself. Again no photo currently but the ailerons then had balsa caps added at each end, and an angle cut on the leading edge to allow for downward movement.

I made some formers for the canopy just to push it out slightly wider to get good fit onto the fuselage.

img_20160709_173942283.jpg

Then hard points to screw the canopy to were glued in place – waiting to be sanded down.

img_20160709_173908163_hdr.jpg

Brown Paper Covering! Well as indicated in previous posts this was new to me and have to say having given it a go I’m very pleased with the results so far following Richard’s advice. Below is the fuselage already for a postage stamp!

img_20160712_074109679.jpg

The wing has now also been covered and the next stage is the light doping before moving on to the painting itself.

A few more additions for the hurricane include the test fuel proofing of the cowling to check the compatibility of my paint/fuel proofer combination, the addition of the fuselage decals and the reinstallation and final fitting of the flaps. So far so good!

dsc_0169[1].jpg

Next is a small amount of weathering and then final fuel proofing

• 2 weeks later...

Having set myself a target of having it done for our Clubs Gala on the 17th July I can confirm that this wasn’t achieved L but I had made significant progress and hopefully not too far off now J

Well the below photo is of the Yak with the Brown Paper covering finished. Once done, and due to various factors including going to B&Q, Screwfix and Tool Station in one evening I finally got some sanding sealer and used this to seal the brown paper covering – again a light coat and all went fine.

img_20160714_074149851.jpg

Due to rushing to meet said deadline I didn’t take photos progressing the painting, which became quite stressful at times including a compressor break down and different shades of paint which were supposedly the same…. The difference between Aerosol and Tin I guess…….. Anyway lessons learnt and the end result is below!

img_20160725_130210919.jpg

All major parts are now painted and the whole plane has had a coating of fuel proofing. Overall I’m quite pleased with the results knowing that some parts were rushed so could have been better. The only bit that didn’t quite work was the group of 15 Red stars – these had been printed on clear water transfer / sticker paper. I’d hoped the fuel proofer would have blended the surrounding clear part of the sticker into the final finish but unfortunately you can still see the rectangular edges of the sticker. The other larger stars were printed on to similar water transfer paper but white hence being able to get the white outline.

The number 12 and front art work were hand painted with the aid of masking. With some free hand painting of the sword.

It is now a case of final assembly.

Let there be light!

Not great photos but hopefully good enough to see that the lights are now installed and working. Going back to very early post on this thread although there were many variations of the Yak, the Yak 3 that I have gone with did only appear to have the three navigation light as I have installed.

lights 1.jpg

lights 2.jpg

So yesterdays work was making the lighting harness & installing the lights, connecting the rudder and elevator control surfaces and fixing in place the battery packs. 4 cell NiCad pack for the receiver and one 620mAh 3S lipo for the Lights. Then installing the receiver and starting to connect everything up.

Next two main stages - Install the servos in the wings, reinstall the flaps & landing gear and connect up all control surfaces.

Second is to do the final installation of the Engine.

Guy

Well 99.9% done!!! A few quick photo's before the Sun went down!

Engine install finished today so basically all done just some final tweaking before a test flight!

Need to finalise the CofG - might need a bit of weight up front.

As it stands though currently weighing in at 3.1kg

More detailed 'review' will follow

Guy

finished yak 1.jpg

finished yak 3.jpg

finished yak 2.jpg

Looking really great Guy.

My Hurricane is on hold as 'the fleet' needs maintenance and it was also too warm to spray my fuel proofer for a few days as well.

Currently my seafury is undergoing some surgery following its forced landing at wings and wheels. I also want to touch up the damage it has accumulated during its test flying phase. Once the Seafury painting is done I will fuel proof it and the Hurricane at the same time

Hi Richard,

Many thanks for the comments - Think Brian is being a bit optimistic!!! I think 2018 might be a bit more realistic for the first of the batch surprise But as I'm sure we all do things will often take longer than planned....

Final balance of CoG now done - had to add 90g - 100g up front so overall weight is at about 3.2kg

Guess the next thing to do is fly it!!!

Thanks also to everyone else for the encouragement - hope folk have enjoyed the build threads overall!

Guy

• 2 weeks later...

Right then

After what seems like an eternity I have something to report.

I have fuel proofed the hurricane in what can only be described as a nightmare with impossible to use 2 pack paint. If someone somewhere knows of a fuel proofer that is actually fuel proof, and is not so difficult to use it makes you want to destroy everything in sight, please let me know.

Anyway, its as done as its going to get for now and is looking ok. The decals have decided that adhesion is not really their thing and have some bubbles in them, but they will stay as they are as there is no way to fix it. I also noticed that the paint has not adhered to the fibreglass cowl for some reason. Even the primer didn't stick very well so this will need to be stripped and resprayed but will wait until after the test flying is done.

I have also made the little covers for the landing lights. I am happy with these. While the model was all together for the photo I had a weigh in and minus rx, battery and 2 servos the model was 7lbs 11oz. It will need some lead in the nose however I am still hoping for 8.5lbs flying weight.

hurri.jpg

dsc_0178.jpg

• 1 month later...

Its all gone a bit quiet in here....

So, my Hurricane is finally finished and was test flown today. Sadly I failed dismally in my bid to meet 8.5lbs as the flying weight is 10lbs

That said however the thick wing takes it on just fine and the Laser 80 gives no shortage of power. My added flaps help out too and I am currently quite nose heavy so I am hoping I can shave some of the beef out of the model to further improve the performance.

I have some finishing touches to make like the cover for the retracts and the belly radiator, I also want to add another cooling slot for the engine as it got a little warmer than I would like.

All things considered though I am very happy with the model and, as the photos show, it really looks the part

dsc09542.jpg

dsc09545.jpg

dsc09605.jpg

dsc09609.jpg

dsc09603.jpg