Something a little different.

Andy48

Advert

Hi Andy, Thanks for the uploading that. A fascinating video. I saw one fly at Old Warden some years ago, launched off a hand held screwdriver... It inspired me enough to start building 'Chip Chopper', a Cox Pee Wee 0.020 powered version. I got a as far as making all the bits but never assembled them, so that must go on this years 'to do ' list'.

With electric power, someone who knows what they are doing should be able to incorporate a compass linked to the speed controller, so more power could be applied on one side of the rotation than the other, to give a modicum of steering.

Here's the Charles McCutcheon's original article and plan:

**LINK**

and one for a Cox 0.010

**LINK**

I can't find the Chip Chopper plan at the moment, but its in the 'Fifty Years of Aeromodeller' Book fi you have it.

While we are on the subject anyone remember this one?

img_1823.jpg

Another free design from Aeromodeller. Original was made from corrugated cardboard but they only last a season before they become fuel soaked and soggy.

The one above is made from balsa reinforced with carbon fibre sheet around the edges. A little heavier but almost bulletproof. Some of you may have seen it at the Nationals in previous years. Makes a characteristic whom whom whom sound as it climbs like a bullet until the motor cuts, similar to the charybdis.

Great fun as long as you have a fetcher mite along with you.

The only model I have which you launch downwind!!!!!!!!!

Robin

Well, apart from the fact that there's no such thing as a BMFA 'licence' that looks, for want of a better word 'interesting'

Is there any sort of control (apart from motor, perhaps)? It looks rather like those things that look like flying walking sticks with diesel engine at one end that intrepid people fly at the chuck and duck at the Nats. They look very amusing and not as lethal as they appear

Geoff