David Boddington 48" Chilton DW1

Nigel Dell

Hi Chaps

I have a little jewel of an OS FS26 looking for a home and seem to remember the Chilton DW1 that was a free plan in the Radio Controlled Scale Aircraft Feb/Marc 1994, as is usual in a few house moves I seem to have lost my copy and have had a search around for the plan on the 'net' and can't seem to come up with anything, does anyone know where I can buy a copy or have a copy I could borrow to copy from please?

I have been doing electric for so long I just hanker after some ic distraction.

I have a feeling it is one of those Mag free plans that have been lost unfortunately but it is such a cute thing and after having the Dennis Tapsfield larger one for many years it is like making friends again!

Cheers

Nige.

Nigel

I have the magazine and the plan. I can scan and e-mail you the construction article this weekend and would probably be able to get the plan copied for you next week if interested?

I looked on the myhobbystore.co.uk plans site (MAP/ASP plans service that was) and you are correct, the plan seems not to be available.

Let me know if that helps?

Alan

Hi Alan

WOW that was quick!!

Many thanks for that offer that would be great, if it is of any help I have all the relevent machinery here at work to scan and print if you are happy about it could you send them to me and I will turn them round and send straight back to you the same day? I understand completely if you are not comfortable with that idea, I obviously will take good care of them, we deal with very old drawings from time to time.

If you are not happy please let me know the costs and how I can pay you for this either way.

Andrew

It is a great little aeroplane, many moons ago I drew up a 1/2 scale one which I still have may one day get to build it although the 1/3 scale is probably more sensible but this tiddler is idea for summer evenings I must be hopeful I guess.

Cheers Chaps

Nige.

Hi Nige, If you are scanning the plans is there any chance you might be able to email a copy to me please? I down loaded some three views with the intension of attempting of drawing up some plans myself but it seems Boddo beat me to it! I have a spare OS 30 which looks like it would be ideal.

That is a brilliant looking model Jim, how did it fly?

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 16/02/2016 15:51:40:

Hi Nige, If you are scanning the plans is there any chance you might be able to email a copy to me please? I down loaded some three views with the intension of attempting of drawing up some plans myself but it seems Boddo beat me to it! I have a spare OS 30 which looks like it would be ideal.

That is a brilliant looking model Jim, how did it fly?

Hi Piers

Sorry just seen this, when I get the plans etc. I can send you the PDF's and/ or hard copies just send me a message with your email and home address.

Re Jim's Chilton don't think that is the Dennis Tapsfield one as it was 82" and a DW1 not a 1a what it could be is the Brian Peckam one and I am sure there were others.

Somewhere I have the Tapsfield plan still and the Valley DW1a which is the same size as the Tapsfield one, the Derek Woodward one and the Phil Kent one.

Bit of a Chilton fan.

Cheers

Nige.

There was a larger Brian Peckham version,   ( RM310  )  however you are all overlooking the fact that Boddo's version was a dual size plan!

The free plan was for 48 inch but it was made so that it could be enlarged by 33 percent to 64 inch span and all the wood dimensions are dual such as - " 1/16 ( 3/32) " to show what you use for each size. In fact the version built for the magazine was the 64 inch and used a .40 Surpass - there is no mention of whether anyone has ever built the 48 inch.

Note also you need not only the pullout plan but also page 20 of the magazine if you build the version of the full size with Micron engine which has higher thrustline and different cowl. More attractive version I think.

Edited By kc on 17/02/2016 11:32:33

Thanks Piers, once I have it all here I will get them scanned in and off to you, if you want me to print them off too it really is not a problem.

I was going to reduce the Phil Kent one as this by far the most accurate plan but just sometimes it is good to keep it simple!

I am going to build the bigger one later when I have more time but I have drawn the Miles M 13 Hobby Hawk which I really would like to do at some point.

Posted by kc on 17/02/2016 11:14:09:

There was a larger Brian Peckham version, ( RM310 ) however you are all overlooking the fact that Boddo's version was a dual size plan!

The free plan was for 48 inch but it was made so that it could be enlarged by 33 percent to 64 inch span and all the wood dimensions are dual such as - " 1/16 ( 3/32) " to show what you use for each size. In fact the version built for the magazine was the 64 inch and used a .40 Surpass - there is no mention of whether anyone has ever built the 48 inch.

Note also you need not only the pullout plan but also page 20 of the magazine if you build the version of the full size with Micron engine which has higher thrustline and different cowl. More attractive version I think.

Edited By kc on 17/02/2016 11:32:33

I had forgot that it was enlarged, but I would not have built it at that size anyhow, having the 26 Surpass I remember Phil Clark building the smaller one which made me want one, I like the DW1 and the DW1A and will do the Phil Kent's DW1A as it is a good size my drawings of the 1/2 scale one would be just a bit too big to store at the moment, but I agree it is a pretty looking version rounding off the pixie fin/rudder does seem to make a difference along with the longer nose.

http://www.bdmfc.org/fcimages/BDMFC%20flying%20site%20gallery/fcgallerychilton.htm

The Dennis Tapsfield one flew very well and I did fly it with the originally intended OS FS 60 which was interesting but flew OK, having seen the full size fly in recent times (they were not around then, well not flyable) the full size is more spritely! I did change to the FS 80 but not for long, as this was an awful engine, I finally settled on the Laser 90 which had far too much power so spent most of its time at half throttle at most to fly that model.

Happy days!

Edited By Nigel Dell on 17/02/2016 13:16:40