Very Concerned!! Please help

Alex Hasell

OK trying to get my engine started inadvertently flooded the thing becuse i didnt count on my fuel pump been quicte so efficent! anyway can soe one please advise me on what to do next time i flood it what are the best steps to take to stand the best chance of getting the motor started?

And also can some one explain in as much detail as possible the relation ship between tank height and the carb or needle i know a couple of reasons but im sure im missing something this one is because i am concerned with the height in my ARTF trainer and was thinking this might also not help the starting or the running for that matter again if some one would take the time to give as muc h detail as poss i would be very ver y gratefull indeed

Regards, Alex

Eric,

I dont think you understand me Eric i am comfortable with the whole starting process i have it off by hart and yes your post is very usefull but thats not my concern i want to know what is best to do once you have flooded an engine? and secondly and more importantly i know that the tank should be level through its centre with the needle my question what if its not? what are the effects of it and why? You see i have just built my trainer and obviously things like tank and engine height are predetermined and there is no way that the height of the tank is any way near where it should be in relation to the needle valve hence my question.

Regards, Alex

Just take the pressure feed (pipe going to silencer) off next time you are filling the tank, excess fuel will then not be pumped into the silencer, replace before starting and make sure that the vent tube inside the tank is pointing up.

Ahaa Myron i think its because he's worked out i'm a petrol head (or Glow head) and as im just starting out i dont want to have to worry about all the calcs and things needed for lecy flying. Although i do see the appeal of it and in due time i fully intend on adding some elecy planes to my "hanger"

Back onto topic for a min though i am some what puzzled as to why the manufacturer in this case Seagull who i belive to be one of the better ones have apparently given no consideration to what would seem to me to be one of the basics of setting up the airframe. In that the fuel tank is completely encased in the airframe which is good in that it cant move but leaves the carb/needle well above the centre line of the tank in this case it is actually above the top of the tank this cant be a good thing surely?? so now apart from some major surgery to the airframe i cant see how it can be rectified, but then another part of me says they must of sold plenty of these kits and if this was a major problem then they would surely of done some thing about it would they not! Any thoughts on this guy's would be welcome.

Regards, Alex

Eric ,

That was my thought as well really i couldn't see how it could be to critical in this particular model either to be honest and yes its a pressureised system (3 pipe) thankfully i might add as when i came to run the engine in, nice post bye the way . Not for love nor money could i get it to start for hours i tried and went through 2 glow plugs!! now i realise it was simply because i wasn't getting enough mix in the engine just wasn't priming properly that and also a lack of experience of the "feel" of compression on such an engine all contributed to a very dejected me However on the second attempt a good blow into the muffler line did the trick alright i know this is not the best course of action cause it can introduce moisture but hey when needs must!

Any way the result is i now have a fine running 46 for my lady and i'm sure they will get along fine

Rgaerds and thanks for the reply, Alex 

Hi Alex

If it is an SC 46 engine. they can be a pig at first to start if not set up right. All you need to do with these engines is to have the secondary /idle mixture set right. Finger over the carb air intake and a couple of turns on the prop to draw the fuel into the carb. About 1 and 1/4 turns on the main needle valve (they dont need much on SC engines ) as anymore and they tend to flood. They will then not normally miss a beat!

Al