Hello from North Wales

Good afternoon from North Wales.

I'm planning to return to the hobby after a very lengthy break. I used to fly my Cambrian Capstan from the slopes near Mynydd Llandegai and also a self-built glow powered trainer in the same area. With other commitments I couldn't keep up with everything including building and repairing my aircraft.

I'm currently catching up with all the developments in the hobby and looking for something to get back into the air with. Ultimately I want to start building again as that gave me a lot of pleasure and satisfaction.

I live in Bangor so I'm also looking to find out where the local flying happens.

Cheers

David

Advert

Posted by Percy Verance on 13/03/2016 18:22:36:

I'd suggest you try the BMFA club finder David. Also someone could be along very soon on here to offer some help locally........

Hi Guys

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I've seen so many developments in the hobby since I last flew anything, with one of the main ones being the sheer volume of ready to fly packages which are available. As for the technical developments well where do I start? smiley

I think my nearest club is the Delyn Model Flying Club which fly from a field just off the A55.

Cheers

Dave

Posted by john stones 1 on 13/03/2016 19:04:59:

Hello David

Plenty of builders on here, What you fancying slope or powered ?

John

Hi John

I flew the Capstan from slopes as well as powered with a tiny overworked Cox engine. I enjoyed both forms of flight. I'm interested in trying out some electric flight so I'll probably go the same way to start.

Dave

David, Im in North Wales (Abergele) AFAIK there are three possible clubs; there's one on Anglesey(not sure of the name), Rhyl & District MAC (flying site half way between Abergele and Rhuddlan) and the Delyn club that fly at Cerwys. I would think that the Anglesey or Rhyl club would be your closest as your in Bangor. But, there's always the Orme for sloping.

Hi,

Welcome! I know Bangor well as my son is at the University there and we visit the area a lot - nice part of the world!

Regarding clubs; your nearest club will be Anglesey and District Model Aero Club near Malltraeth. The contact there is Jim Lympany (01248 440122) - according to the BMFA club Finder pages anyway.

BEB

Posted by GONZO on 14/03/2016 09:06:03:

David, Im in North Wales (Abergele) AFAIK there are three possible clubs; there's one on Anglesey(not sure of the name), Rhyl & District MAC (flying site half way between Abergele and Rhuddlan) and the Delyn club that fly at Cerwys. I would think that the Anglesey or Rhyl club would be your closest as your in Bangor. But, there's always the Orme for sloping.

Thanks Gonzo

I'll have to take a look at when the clubs are flying and drop in for a chat.

Cheers

Dave

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 14/03/2016 09:32:41:

Hi,

Welcome! I know Bangor well as my son is at the University there and we visit the area a lot - nice part of the world!

Regarding clubs; your nearest club will be Anglesey and District Model Aero Club near Malltraeth. The contact there is Jim Lympany (01248 440122) - according to the BMFA club Finder pages anyway.

BEB

Thanks BEB!

Glad you like Bangor.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to get in touch and drop in for a chat with the clubs you mention.

Cheers

Dave

Hello David I too am in N.Wales at Meliden just outside Prestatyn . I am not back flying yet but hope to be when hips have been replaced . Last time I saw the local site it was just a muddy field with no facilities. so do not know if that would suit you . Non the less welcome back to the fold.I am in much the same boat regarding not having been flying so have much to learn too

Posted by Dai Fledermaus on 15/03/2016 09:08:54:

Croeso,

My wife is a Bangor girl, her dad used to be the head teacher of Treborth Hall, now sold for development I believe.

You'll have lots of help and support from the fellers on this forum David, and the depth of knowledge is huge. Effectively an online club.

Hwyl Fawr form South Wales

I remember Treborth Hall

Starting to look around the forum. You're certainly right about the amount the knowledge on the site. Looking forward to a bit of exploring!

Hwyl

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by John Lee on 26/03/2016 13:11:29:

You beg them from one of your new Clubmates Dave!

Afraid the Digital subscription does not include the free plan. There are various discussions, suggestions & moans about this in the RCM&E section of the forum.

Thanks, John. Clarified that nicely. Shame that there isn't a download option.

Cheers

Dave

Plenty of sloping going on still, mostly on the Great Orme.

I teach at St Davids College in Llandudno and run a club there, we fly the Orme,Conwy Mountain and also slopes on the West coast of Ynys Mon. Sundays are usually quite busy on the Orme especially if there is a bit of a blow. I have marked most of the local slopes on Google Maps just search Conwy and Coastal Slope Soaring or get in touch for some advice, there has been an increase in popularity in slope soaring of late and they are all a friendly bunch, head over the the Slope section or General Gliding section - lots of 'Gog' soarers there. See you on a slope sometime!

PS Capstan was one of my first back in the 80's, must build one again sometime!!

Posted by Conwy Soarer on 26/03/2016 17:38:56:

I teach at St Davids College in Llandudno and run a club there, we fly the Orme,Conwy Mountain and also slopes on the West coast of Ynys Mon. Sundays are usually quite busy on the Orme especially if there is a bit of a blow. I have marked most of the local slopes on Google Maps just search Conwy and Coastal Slope Soaring or get in touch for some advice, there has been an increase in popularity in slope soaring of late and they are all a friendly bunch, head over the the Slope section or General Gliding section - lots of 'Gog' soarers there. See you on a slope sometime!

PS Capstan was one of my first back in the 80's, must build one again sometime!!

Thanks for the welcome.

I'd seen gliders on the Orme when I've been there in the past and it was seeing them that planted the seed to get back in the air.

Cheers

Dave

Posted by Conwy Soarer on 26/03/2016 17:38:56:

Thanks for the welcome.

I'd seen gliders on the Orme when I've been there in the past and it was seeing them that planted the seed to get back in the air.

Cheers

Dave