Super 60 trainer Ben Buckle

Don Fry

i have just acquired a tyro pilot. He has a perfectly good Ben Buckle 3 channel Ben Buckle super 60, a loft find. Have just spent the afternoon sorting with him, but I have no centre of gravity information. It balances at about 20 percent at the moment, bit forward methinks.

Any one know where the CG should be. Weather window on Wednesday, and want to make a 10am maiden.

Advert

Sitting at home feeling sorry for myself suffering from sciatica I have both s60 plans in front of me, ben buckle 60 shows control movements as 20 degrees both ways or 14mm each way on elevator and 25mm each way on rudder. Just contemplating a new build either bb60 or kk60 (they do differ in places) or even the lead sled that is called the New Super 60.

Hope the control movements help... Chris.

Pastor, thank you. Do not sit. Get down on the floor, and do single leg lifts. It will sort the back problems. I will return the elevator to how he had set it, and pretend I had further cogitation on the subject.

Many thanks, poor bloke had worn himself out trying to get this information.

Engine is, I believe an ancient VECO 40, air bleed carbi. Runs ok

The Super 60 is very tolerant of both C of G and control throws. It doesn't need much "up" elevator, but does need quite a bit of "down"! Remember, it was originally designed as R/c OR Free-Flight!!

Mine was flying back in the 60s on a Merco 35 and six-channel "reeds" (non proportional, 2 channels per function!). Even so, I fitted a bigger rudder to get the desired control response!

On modern gear, they are very docile, almost too much so.

--

Pete

Maiden put back to Friday, Saturday, as weather window for Wednesday has disappeared. Not too worried as its a very decent airframe, and my tyro has very decent craft skills so his restoration is good. Thank you David for the photo. This example has some glass reinforcement in the avionics bay, and I now realise that it was once a tail dragger. So we will be able to use the airframe in both modes. I assume the aileron wings for this aircraft is the same wing without the dihedral, so I will get him to make a aileron wing and get all the variants done.

I've enjoyed reading this whilst rather under the weather. Here is some more info.

If you read the booklet, Radio Control Big Four, which is a free download it shows the wing section as a modified Gottingen 549 and also that a standard Super 60 can be modified to a tricycle U/C. My last '60 with an ailerons wing had approx 1"of dihedral under each tip, just enough so that it didn't look "droopy".

Reminiscing, as one does here is a list of the '60's that I have owned over the years.

1. junior 60 free flight with ed racer power...1963,ish

2. Junior 60 RC am35 power and s/c carrier wave valve RC

3. Kk mini super ed racer and home built galloping ghost eqpt.

4. As 3 but with enya 19.

5. As 4 but with rcme digital proportional radio and fox 35 motor!

6. Super 60 with enya 29 and later fitted with os 40. Various radio.

7. Super 60 electric with speedgear 700 and 14 sub c nicads. This weighed about 7.5 lbs but still flew well! I later fitted it with an axi motor and 10 cell nicads.

Finally...8. a 75% super 60 with mfa belt drive 540 motor and 7 cell NiCad.

Guess what, without exception they all flew well. Perhaps its time that I built another '60 I've still got the tail wheel assembly from the last one!

Enjoy your 60's. All the best... Chris N.

Thank you pastor, much good information. Re buying things, my tyro is a craftsman. He sees no reason to spend one penny on ARTF, when he can make it. Give him some time, and if he progresses, I will sort an aileron plan, or draw one.

I also had a Junior 60 in the mid sixties, ED Racer powered, Elmic escapement, and an OS PIXIE radio.

Posted by gangster on 29/03/2016 15:48:46:

You can also get the aileron conversion kit from Ben Buckle

It's such a shame that Penn Models, which used to produce a four-channel Super Sixty with inset ailerons to order, no longer make them or even supply the plan. They were nearly all finished in Cub Yellow and red Solartex.

This was mine, KIA when I flew across the disc of the sun, I got disorientated and put in the wrong controls. crying

penn models super sixty (4).jpg

Edited By David Davis on 29/03/2016 19:29:12

I've been flying the same Super 60 for almost thirty years now. I've just replaced the fuz and wing a few times but the undercarriage and tail wheel are the same.smiley

I'm actually considering building a new wing for the current one with inset ailerons and flaps. Has anyone tried that?

Fun Flyer, I think that is a brilliant idea. Inboard flaps and outboard ailerons. Give it plenty of power with a large diameter and fine pitch prop and you could end up with a Super 60 Fun Cub. On windy days we used to hover our 60's into the wind and have great fun. They handle the wind surprisingly well.

All the best.... Chris N.